Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:43 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
We are totally dependent on our agent to walk us through this. We have not sold a house in over 30 years.

We do think have a quality product but are leaving the marketing up to the agent.

I'm glad you're not my agent as you seem to have the attitude that everyone is trying to pull something. I prefer to believe that most people are honest and try to do the right thing.

I do not have such an attitude.
But, I see it a lot from sellers here, that when or if they feel challenged to be transparent, they take offense at the concept of full disclosure.
"Disclosure" is not "marketing," although transparency can certainly be helpful in marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 01:45 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNE View Post
When they take a burned out bulb and imply the entire electrical system is inadequate

You stated:

Quote:
I will day, though, that my experience in TX has had seen far more inspectors that go completely off the reservation on their notes.

The burned out bulb was not your experience. What was your experience and what do you consider "off the reservation" about your experience?

Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You’re implying things that don’t exist.

I was talking about simply reversing the order of two points. Enjoy your misplaced rant.

No rant.
I recognize that folks like you, certainly not representative of every seller, hope to cost buyers money without a good disclosure to trap them.
I see buyers spend tons of money on property investigations that turn up issues the sellers never knew about or never addressed properly.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
You stated:

The burned out bulb was not your experience. What was your experience and what do you consider "off the reservation" about your experience?

As the OP has agreed, the light bulb was not a material factor in the termination. Flakey buyer, flakey agent, and unfortunate to have gone to contract with them, as updated by the OP.
It happens.
The inspection was immaterial in the termination.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No rant.
I recognize that folks like you, certainly not representative of every seller, hope to cost buyers money without a good disclosure to trap them.
I see buyers spend tons of money on property investigations that turn up issues the sellers never knew about or never addressed properly.
Turning up issues that sellers "never knew about" or "never addressed properly" is *not* the same as "hoping to cost buyers money and ... trap them."

Old 05-23-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Do you have the wording from the report for the AC issue?
"Equipment is not cooling. Repair by licensed HVAC technician is recommended."

This is completely stupid as you can walk through the house and feel that the air is cool. It's Texas. We live here. I wouldn't have a non working A/C unit while trying to sell the house, nor would I want to live here without one that is not operational. I mean, heck, the buyer was here during the last part of the inspection. Wouldn't the buyer notice if the A/C was working or not?

At the recommendation of my realtor, I had the units inspected and they all checked out fine.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Turning up issues that sellers "never knew about" or "never addressed properly" is *not* the same as "hoping to cost buyers money and ... trap them."

For some people it surely is.

I am in a state where buyers routinely put down $1500--$7500 nonrefundable to get to contract.
They may have 2-3 weeks to fully investigate the property, to be satisfied with the outcome, including negotiation of any repairs or adjustments, after which their refundable earnest money is also nonrefundable.

I.e., when the inspection turns up neglect or deferred maintenance, many sellers certainly hope to leverage that that nonrefundable money as duress for the buyer to close. And, are willing to keep the nonrefundable money if the buyers find deal breakers that "surprise" the sellers.

Cynical? Not really. More "realistic" after many years of life experience.
But, if you get involved working with people and money for a while, you may find that the nicest people have surprising weaknesses when it comes to money, too.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
I do not have such an attitude.
But, I see it a lot from sellers here, that when or if they feel challenged to be transparent, they take offense at the concept of full disclosure.
"Disclosure" is not "marketing," although transparency can certainly be helpful in marketing.

Exactly. And I'd bet if multiple people are involved in the transaction you probably know who to go to for the honest answer. Some are paranoid and/or greedy. I know some trying to sell a house as-is and they're upset they are only attracting wholesalers which is fine but they feel like they are being ripped off because they know they are going to turn around and sell the contract for profit. They even get offended by actual contractor offers because they know they are going to renovate for profit.

But they shouldn't be worried about what the buyer is going to do with their new property. What the new owners do or want for it is not their concern. The prices and terms of a sale are their concern not so so is going to turn around the house and sell it for profit(which is only a possibility if the timing or renovation goes bad). If they want to flip and renovate then do it with their money and that's exactly what they can't afford or want to do.

What amazes me too are the people that obviously treated their house like poop. I'm not just talking about the lack of renovation or repair. It's obvious by those who refuse to clean up especially on an as-is sale. You can tell they probably just need the money or have been a life time slob, drunk, abuser etc.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I am neither cynical nor jaded.
But, I do work with people on both sides of the transaction routinely, and I am quite aware of the human foibles they bring to a transaction.

Yes, you believe you had an incompetent inspector, and may well have had. I have no quibble with that likelihood.
But, even you now have come to recognize that the buyer just had buyer's remorse for any unknown reason, and just used a bad inspection citation as a convenient reason to exit.
It happens.
And, you had to pay out of pocket for an HVAC guy, because you did not proactively request a current assessment prior to going to contract.

It still comes back to sellers who are unprepared to offer a quality product to market.
Even used car sellers offer "Certified used cars."
Maybe owners should consider building some confidence, rather than hoping nothing gets cited.

Why would I pre inspect something that I live with and use every single day and know to be functional because I use it?

When I as a seller have a brand new roof, new gutters, new bathrooms, new light fixtures, new paint...when I have touched up every paint scuff, had carpets and windows professionally cleaned, have spent hundreds on landscaping to make everything immaculate, I AM doing everything possible to "build some confidence." What exactly am I hoping won't get cited?

That is not the same as an inspector citing something that works as not working. That is unprofessional, irresponsible, and wrong. There is something wrong with the process when that can happen with no repurcussions.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Why would I pre inspect something that I live with and use every single day and know to be functional because I use it?
...What exactly am I hoping won't get cited?

You tell us.
I haven't inspected your home either.
But, I would hope an inspector would look at your roof, gutters, and beneath the cosmetic and decor items you mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate