Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You tell us.
I haven't inspected your home either.
But, I would hope an inspector would look at your roof, gutters, and beneath the cosmetic and decor items you mention.
A new roof and gutters are not decor items.

You aren't making any sense. You want sellers to be proactive in preparing their house for sale, and then you dismiss new bathrooms as decor items. Rebuilt showers are not "decor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 02:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
"Equipment is not cooling. Repair by licensed HVAC technician is recommended."

This is completely stupid as you can walk through the house and feel that the air is cool. It's Texas. We live here. I wouldn't have a non working A/C unit while trying to sell the house, nor would I want to live here without one that is not operational. I mean, heck, the buyer was here during the last part of the inspection. Wouldn't the buyer notice if the A/C was working or not?

At the recommendation of my realtor, I had the units inspected and they all checked out fine.

I was asking about specific language from the report because the more that is shown the better understanding of the Inspector that can be gained. It would be very entertaining to get and read a full copy of that report!

From the little displayed it appears that this Inspector is living off of "canned statements". This phrase is so general it can be used for many different conditions. Also I suspect the Inspector may have possibly not taken the time to properly assess the system operation and instead just used the canned statement since they planned to call for HVAC Contractor review no matter what was found. Unfortunately that is what we are seeing a lot of with the "In/Out" and "On Site Reporting" methods. Time is money and the longer they are on site the less chance they have of scheduling and making it to their multiple inspections in one day. I suspect this Inspector is one of the cheap ones that buyers go after since price is more important than quality. Properly inspecting a house does take time to avoid these type incidents.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
A new roof and gutters are not decor items.

You aren't making any sense. You want sellers to be proactive in preparing their house for sale, and then you dismiss new bathrooms as decor items. Rebuilt showers are not "decor."

Uhhh.,..
Re-read. I specifically separated decor from roof and gutters.

And, I would certainly hope an inspector would inspect as best possible beneath bath fixtures. No?
Ask any of the inspectors who chime in here how often they see fundamental flaws in renovations, roofs and gutters included. It is routine.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Uhhh.,..

And, I would certainly hope an inspector would inspect as best possible beneath bath fixtures. No?
Ask any of the inspectors who chime in here how often they see fundamental flaws in renovations, roofs and gutters included. It is routine.

Frequently.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Uhhh.,..

You are moving goalposts here.

You earlier chastised sellers for not adequately preparing their homes for sale, for being greedy and devious, and for not wanting to offer a quality product.

Mistakes made by reputable contractors during roof replacements or other renovations are mistakes made by the contractors; they do not speak to a homeowner trying to deceive a buyer, or to a seller not doing their utmost to present a quality home for sale.

And again, a rebuilt shower is not "decor."

Furthermore, you have lumped my husband and I in with this group of devious, greedy, nefarious sellers, and have insinuated that we are trying to hide problems, when you know nothing about us or our home.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I was asking about specific language from the report because the more that is shown the better understanding of the Inspector that can be gained. It would be very entertaining to get and read a full copy of that report!

From the little displayed it appears that this Inspector is living off of "canned statements". This phrase is so general it can be used for many different conditions. Also I suspect the Inspector may have possibly not taken the time to properly assess the system operation and instead just used the canned statement since they planned to call for HVAC Contractor review no matter what was found. Unfortunately that is what we are seeing a lot of with the "In/Out" and "On Site Reporting" methods. Time is money and the longer they are on site the less chance they have of scheduling and making it to their multiple inspections in one day. I suspect this Inspector is one of the cheap ones that buyers go after since price is more important than quality. Properly inspecting a house does take time to avoid these type incidents.
Thank you--this makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You are moving goalposts here.

You earlier chastised sellers for not adequately preparing their homes for sale, for being greedy and devious, and for not wanting to offer a quality product.

Mistakes made by reputable contractors during roof replacements or other renovations are mistakes made by the contractors; they do not speak to a homeowner trying to deceive a buyer, or to a seller not doing their utmost to present a quality home for sale.

And again, a rebuilt shower is not "decor.".

Quote:
Uhhh.,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Frequently.
Of course. I just went with a home inspector to a new construction home. Plenty of gigs. Reasonable gigs. All "new" work.

Quote:
Furthermore, you have lumped my husband and I in with this group of devious, greedy, nefarious sellers, and have insinuated that we are trying to hide problems, when you know nothing about us or our home
Your words. Your description. Not mine. Perhaps "naive," which is a higher level of sturm und drang than "nefarious."

However...
You remind me of Shakespeare. Hamlet, even!
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Old 05-23-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:

However...
You remind me of Shakespeare. Hamlet, even!
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Nice personal attack there.

But you aren't cynical or jaded, right?

Old 05-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Nice personal attack there.

But you aren't cynical or jaded, right?

Nope. Not cynical or jaded.
As a realist, I function well in the real estate marketplace because my eyes are open and I have skills and knowledge built on years of experience in housing and in real estate brokerage.

You are basing all your posts on one transaction that you agreed was flakey from before contract.
ONE.

It happens. Transactions fail.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNE View Post
And I’d say doing that before the offer would make more sense.
Will you reimburse me for doing a routine item that you weren't willing to do?
Should I wash your car, rotate the tires, and drain your water heater, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate