Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 12:02 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,007,186 times

Advertisements

Just got through with the inspection on the house we are selling. One of the sticking points is that the inspector wrote that the pressure relief valves on the water heaters did not operate and that this was a code and safety issue that a plumber needed to address.

My husband (who is out of state working) called my teenage son on FaceTime, told him where to locate the valves, and my son was easily able to operate all the pressure relief valves with no problem.

It makes me very frustrated that someone who is licensed did not know how to do something so simple, then wrote a damaging report, and effectively kiboshed our transaction.

Another item that came up was a light bulb in a very large closet. We have four canned lights in this closet and I didn't notice that one of them was burned out. Inspector wrote that the light "failed to operate" and suggested that there could be an electrical failure throughout the house, and that a licensed electrician should check it out. There is no logic put to this, such as seeing that the other three lights work and that the most likely explanation is a burnt out bulb, and not failure of the whole house's electrical system.

What have been some of your most aggravating inspector issues? What would you change about this whole process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 PM

10,894 posts, read 21,851,140 times
I have no issues or desire to change the inspection process and I deal with them frequently. The 2 items you mentioned you are common items. Was it the PRV on the water heater itself or on the water line going into the home that is buried outside the home water pressure? If a light bulb is out inspectors write it down to check the bulb to ensure it's not a wiring issue. Not sure how these 2 items killed your sale.

Were there other larger concerns on the inspection or just those 2 items? Can you elaborate on if a repair addendum was submitted and how the agents and/or you and the buyer handled the situation, and what you would have liked done differently?

Old 05-13-2020, 12:21 PM

PRV on the water heater itself.

Buyer withdrew, saying that since the house wasn't "perfect" they were no longer interested. Everything in total was minor and some of it was down right nit picky.

What I would have liked done differently is having an inspector who knew how to operate the valve instead of saying it didn't work.

And it wasn't written up as possibly a bulb being out; it was written up to suggest that the whole house's electrical system could be failing. As a buyer, that would scare me. Why go to that extreme? Why not suggest that since the three adjacent bulbs are functioning, it's more likely that this is a burned out bulb instead of a house wide electrical failure.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,315,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Buyer withdrew, saying that since the house wasn't "perfect" they were no longer interested. Everything in total was minor and some of it was down right nit picky.

What I would have liked done differently is having an inspector who knew how to operate the valve instead of saying it didn't work.

And it wasn't written up as possibly a bulb being out; it was written up to suggest that the whole house's electrical system could be failing. As a buyer, that would scare me. Why go to that extreme? Why not suggest that since the three adjacent bulbs are functioning, it's more likely that this is a burned out bulb instead of a house wide electrical failure.
I think your inspector was overzealous (that's a nicer term than I'm using in my head), but I also think your buyers would have walked at any "flaw" if what they were looking for was "perfect". Even new construction isn't necessarily "perfect" although many buyers assume that it is. Personally, unless you're in a fix to sell, I think you dodged a bullet with these buyers- they would have been a nightmare to deal with.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:44 PM

6,393 posts, read 10,191,284 times
OP, as long as the PRV is replaced and working properly should be no problem for the next inspection. The previous inspection would not be relevant on a later inspection in that case. Any potential issue should be marked based on the priority of such repairs. In my experience as a former Realtor, the inspector will classify such items as acceptable, may need to be replaced, failed and has to be repaired/replaced.

Keep in mind that inspectors are paid to find potential problems, recommend how they should be resolved, and the priority of the repair/replacement. Inspectors are not generally hired to fix anything and may suggest a contractor to resolve.

To the casual observer, it may seem overzealous and some inspectors might be so, but don't paint the whole profession as such.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:50 PM

43,029 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:

So, do you have a copy of the inspection report?
You can address all the items in your own time, share those repairs, and give a great deal of comfort to the next buyer.
Your buyer got cold feet for whatever reason, and just used the "Imperfections" as a handy excuse. It happens. Next!!

Old 05-13-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, do you have a copy of the inspection report?
You can address all the items in your own time, share those repairs, and give a great deal of comfort to the next buyer.
Your buyer got cold feet for whatever reason, and just used the "Imperfections" as a handy excuse. It happens. Next!!
We only have the items they requested and yes we have already addressed them. Like I said, really minor things.

We already have some new showings booked. Fingers crossed!

Old 05-13-2020, 02:28 PM

5,664 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Calgirl,

As you can see/read from the realtor's comments, they don't consider it a big deal at all that after tying up your property for a couple of weeks (approx.) the buyer just walked away from the deal as free as a bird. Personally, I don't consider a contract that would allow the buyer to walk because of a burnt out lightbulb and a pressure relief valve that the inspector didn't know how to work as being worth the paper it's written on.

In fact, I wouldn't call it a contract at all. Perhaps it would be better to call it an "option" to purchase because that's basically what it is. If the buyer can walk over such nit-picky stuff as that, then the word "contract" is hardly applicable to the situation. A contract that is binding on only one party isn't a true contract in my opinion.

I've gone round and round with some of these same realtors on this subject numerous times, but you'll have no luck in getting them to agree with you that something is rotten in Denmark when a buyer can walk for very little or no reason while the seller is still fully committed to the "contract" during that period.

If you would like to protect yourself better, the next time you get an offer, ask the realtor to add something like the following statement to your contract:

"This agreement is a Contingent Contract until such time as the buyer accepts the house and states in writing that the contingency has been removed. The house will remain on the market and for sale to others until this contingency is removed. If the contingency is not removed within X days from the date of this agreement, this agreement will automatically become null and void."

This way, the buyer can proceed with his inspections and if he wants to back out over a burnt out lightbulb, it won't have cost you any time.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:42 PM

One thing that I would be good with, I think, is changing our local contract, which is different than your local to reflect the buyer couldn't cancel over inspections if seller agreed to make repairs. There would still be ways for the buyer to get out if they really wanted to, but at least it wouldn't be as easy for a willing seller.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he knew, but inspectors don't make repairs or adjustments. That opens them up to liability. Their job is to provide a report on the condition of the home. Some inspectors are good communicators and will explain it's an easy repair and how it should be done. Unfortunately some inspectors will make it sound like the house is about to fall over.

I once had an inspector make a big deal about a hole under the house in the crawl space where the dog dug out and liked to lay down. The buyer just asked in the most nonchalant manor, so I just need to get a bucket of dirt and fill it back in and all is well?

We can't control every situation but we can control how we reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate