Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In no way do I intend to imply that your being an absentee landlord is a free pass to the property manager to defraud you.
You could be on the moon and their responsibilities would be unchanged.

I was just curious. And, I do recommend to clients who want to own residential rentals that they should own near home, near enough to check in on a whim.
I gotcha. And I definitely appreciate you taking your time to converse with me on this subject!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 09:01 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome View Post
They weaseled out of taking responsibility by just straight up lying. They say that the 8 or 9 tenants never moved in, that they just 'stored their belongings in my apartments'. She found folks that were on parole and were in a halfway house and they filled out paperwork to leave the halfway house. The defense attorneys just said that the paperwork was 'whited out' in spots. The defendant says that she never collected any rent money from the folks she had living in my places.
The REC can review bank records and books. Your attorney should be able to request copies of the ledger. Or you can just cut your losses and move on. One my agents had a complaint filed 5 or 6 years ago for a listing agreement not being executed properly, and the first thing they did was request a copy of my bank records for the 2 previous years even though it wasn't a money issue. Fortunately I'm by the book and everything was in order, but they go after bank records and paperwork because it's easy to prove since you have evidence as opposed to he said/she said.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The REC can review bank records and books. Your attorney should be able to request copies of the ledger.
Sounds like it was a rogue individual, not the company. They likely accepted and pocketed cash; so nothing on the books. Without physical proof of this, you can't win in court.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Sounds like it was a rogue individual, not the company. They likely accepted and pocketed cash; so nothing on the books. Without physical proof of this, you can't win in court.
Yes, that is what is going on. But shouldn't the broker or the company be responsible for their work/business/clients' assets/contracts they have with property owners???

Old 06-05-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is what is going on. But shouldn't the broker or the company be responsible for their work/business/clients' assets/contracts they have with property owners???
Also, the 'rogue' employee shouldn't have been able to perform for 13 months without going undetected by her boss/broker?!?!?

Old 06-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The REC can review bank records and books. Your attorney should be able to request copies of the ledger. Or you can just cut your losses and move on. One my agents had a complaint filed 5 or 6 years ago for a listing agreement not being executed properly, and the first thing they did was request a copy of my bank records for the 2 previous years even though it wasn't a money issue. Fortunately I'm by the book and everything was in order, but they go after bank records and paperwork because it's easy to prove since you have evidence as opposed to he said/she said.
The REC did their investigation and conducted their case and came to the conclusion that the licensee/thief/perpetrator would lose her license for unprofessionalism and the broker would not have a case brought against her by the REC. I do not know how intense of an investigation the REC did into the 'records and books' of the broker, her company and the licensee because I do not have access to that information. As far as the ledgers, they don't exist. The broker says the tenants were not "on her books" therefore there is no paperwork or ledgers she has for them.

Moving on is tough because my properties were my livelihood, but thank you so much for your input and kindness in your voice and you all for talking with me and not blaming me for them stealing my rent money.
What do you think about the main perpetrator (the one who did conducted all the bad actions/lost her license), currently working at a bank in the HOA area?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 AM

In anyone's opinion, do you think the property management company owed me a fiduciary duty?

Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
In anyone's opinion, do you think the property management company owed me a fiduciary duty?
Yes. No. Maybe.
None of us have seen your contracts.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes. No. Maybe.
None of us have seen your contracts.
This. You've provided very little information as to contracts and what evidence that was presented in court.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This. You've provided very little information as to contracts and what evidence that was presented in court.
We have not gone to the court trial yet because we got cancelled due to covid. We were supposed to go to trial in May. I am waiting to show you all the evidence/documents until our case is finished. You will then be able to really give me your thoughts on whether justice is served or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate