Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times

Advertisements

Should a realtor primarily be advising, recommending or informing? Or all of the above

If the market is starting to tank or go flat should they tell the client this is the best price one will get with current market and house conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Should a realtor primarily be advising, recommending or informing? Or all of the above

If the market is starting to tank or go flat should they tell the client this is the best price one will get with current market and house conditions?

No agent can ever predict the future or be absolute certain that another offer isn't coming in with a different amount. But an agent should be able to inform you why the offer is good/ bad based on their experience and knowledge of the market. Advising and recommending are really the same thing.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:24 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
All of the above. Within the realm of the market of the moment and the specific property.
Quote:
That is a bit stickier. Perhaps an agent should tell their buyer, "I think we can get a better price from THIS seller," or "I think we have squeezed out all the blood this turnip has to offer."
But, I generally don't make future economic predictions.
In any market, if I think the client is making a mistake, buyer or seller, I share that thought.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
All of the above, except when they did not hire me as their agent. If I am a transaction broker, I will inform only.

I don’t make decisions, or mortgage payments for anyone but me.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:25 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
They should do all of the above. So for me, when I make recommendations, I present different options, and then the buyer or seller can decide which of the options works best for them.

I'm not sure that I could ever tell a seller, "This is the best price you will get" but I will tell a seller in an uncertain market that holding out for $300 more might be a costly mistake as times are uncertain.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:25 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Most of us with any experience of life are accustomed to seeking opinion and advice from those who might have useful experience. Many of us also have the experience of discounting or ignoring some of that advice. Sometimes for good reason. Sometimes just to be contrary.

Listen, then think for yourself.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:10 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Agents should advise clients. They owe customers nothing but honesty and disclosure of material defects. Language and responsibility may vary slightly by state.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

They should be looking out for your interest. Some are some aren’t. Like anything else there are good and bad agents.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
I've bought homes in the past at far BELOW what the realtor "advised" was the 'lowest price the buyer would accept'. I'm all for using a realtor to buy/sell a home, but, I also realize their agenda and mine are not necessarily the same.

Therefore, I listen to their advice, but, use my own common sense and experience when it comes to making offers and other financial decisions for which I will be responsible.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
All 3 of course, but you forgot another important function: advocacy. Identifying elements of a potential transaction that could support the cause of your client. And engaging in effective communication and persuasion of the opposing side so they see your argument and accept all or part of your conclusion.

So if my client’s buyer offer appears low, I will submit the offer with a full market analysis of the comparable sales along with our offer. To show and describe how we arrived at our offer and why. So while our offer may appear unreasonable at first glance, submission of our analysis brings reason and logic to the offer. This also helps remove hostility on the seller side. “I think this buyer is crazy, but I see what they are thinking”, is the first step from a “No” to a “Maybe, let’s talk further”.

Advocacy is a critical role and an important part of what you are paying for when you hire an agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate