Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I AM taking suggestions on here. I'm currently shopping around for a pool service as we speak. So far, I received two quotes. Each one is $170 a month. One is from Pinch a Penny (a nationwide franchise). Another one is from a local business operated primarily by one guy. I left voicemails at 3 other businesses but none have responded. It's ridiculous. So I'm going to make more phone calls.

And yes, I HATE apartment living for numerous reasons and always complained about it over the 13 years of living in 8 different apartments. Some were better than others but I hate the shared walls, ceilings and floors and how compressed the units are with so many people so close. And parking in a parking lot is stupid.

Nep...
In this forum, you will find more owners than renters. So, most people with an ownership bias are not going to be sympathetic.
I think:
Good for you to say you will give it a year. Heck, even people who are always owners sometimes need a year to adjust to a move, let alone a move from renting to owning.
We have a current thread here where the OPs have a bit of buyers' remorse for the house and location they bought. We get them regularly.

So, suggestion:
Keep your place in the best shape you can, or even better than when you bought. If you decide to get out ownership after a year, it will make it easier to sell for a good price.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 07:09 AM

21,716 posts, read 12,777,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Nep...
In this forum, you will find more owners than renters. So, most people with an ownership bias are not going to be sympathetic.
I think:
Good for you to say you will give it a year. Heck, even people who are always owners sometimes need a year to adjust to a move, let alone a move from renting to owning.
We have a current thread here where the OPs have a bit of buyers' remorse for the house and location they bought. We get them regularly.

So, suggestion:
Keep your place in the best shape you can, or even better than when you bought. If you decide to get out ownership after a year, it will make it easier to sell for a good price.
Good luck!
What's the buyer's (and presumably seller's) remorse thread? Asking for a friend!

Old 06-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What's the buyer's (and presumably seller's) remorse thread? Asking for a friend!

Run this one past your friend:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...-realized.html

Old 06-08-2020, 08:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
There is a saying that goes, i complained about having no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 06-08-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,434,832 times
Quote:
Nep...
I think:

So, suggestion:
Good luck!
Unless there’s a threat to your safety you really should wait it out two years to avoid paying capital gains tax. I suppose it’s moot in a lousy market, but the fact the OP put in a new HVAC system, and his folks have been helping him fix it up leads me to believe it’ll sell for more than he paid for it? Plus the extra year of payments towards the principal, while not much in the beginning, will help soften the blow of the closing costs.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Unless there’s a threat to your safety you really should wait it out two years to avoid paying capital gains tax. I suppose it’s moot in a lousy market, but the fact the OP put in a new HVAC system, and his folks have been helping him fix it up leads me to believe it’ll sell for more than he paid for it? Plus the extra year of payments towards the principal, while not much in the beginning, will help soften the blow of the closing costs.

Well, you are assuming appreciation. I suspect the OP will do well to break even after a year. I wouldn't let capital gains be a consideration unless I had market data supporting a significant gain.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:00 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
I honestly think that if nep321 gives a pool service company a try, and maybe relandscapes his yard so less mowing and trimming is needed to keep it in good shape, he might decide to keep his house. The occasional big yard project isn't nearly as wearying as the weekly maintenance is, just because you never get a real break from the latter (except by going on vacation).

Old 06-08-2020, 01:09 PM

4,414 posts, read 2,910,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The principle is next to nothing, and then he will have to pay the 3-6% commission on the house as well. I doubt he will break even relative to renting.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Well, you are assuming appreciation. I suspect the OP will do well to break even after a year. I wouldn't let capital gains be a consideration unless I had market data supporting a significant gain.
You’re probably right there? I was thinking if it was me. With higher housing prices and a hot market we would’ve taken a beating in capital gains if we sold in under two years.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The principle is next to nothing, and then he will have to pay the 3-6% commission on the house as well. I doubt he will break even relative to renting.
You and I must have a different opinion of what “next to nothing” is? Depending on your rate, anyone that has bought in recent years will have anywhere from 20-35%+ of their payment going towards the principal day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate