Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:09 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

Three places I investigated thru when doing a history was thru the county records. Was any fire damage called in ?
Was any flood damage recorded.
The county keeps public call records. Fema keeps records to.
The other source was insurance claims.
Any additions would have a past record of permit or drawings approved.

Our county also had a 'grounds testing' done which could be researched. Is that area prone to sink holes....to radon....to caustic run off. Yes that testing log told alot about our area.

But Angie's list...is a pass thru for some business's to gain more exposure to their crafts/trades. Kinda a yellow pages....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 06:06 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
They are a large broker for home projects. They have a record of estimate requested of them by home owners. it is not any where near comprehensive but why not add this to the list of due diligence steps. The Clue report is a great one too but again not comprehensive though more so than Angie's list.
They do not have a record of estimates requests. They may have a record of vendor requests. Big difference. If you knew I looked for a carpenter through Angie's List, what does that tell you? Nothing.It could mean I want to repair termite damage or it could mean I want a bookcase built.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
No, I haven't done that, nor would I.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
They are a large broker for home projects. They have a record of estimate requested of them by home owners. it is not any where near comprehensive but why not add this to the list of due diligence steps. The Clue report is a great one too but again not comprehensive though more so than Angie's list.
Even if they did have some record/database of projects, it would almost certainly be illegal to share this information with you for a multitude of reasons.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No. They don't keep records of that

Get a really good home inspector. Do not be cheap on this.

I would expect what the OP is trying to do is some due diligence to ensure the disclosure is accurate or as accurate as possible and to understand what might have been done to the home. The OP is located in Plano, TX and I can tell you not only as a buyer but also seeing many disclosures they are not always complete. Failing to properly fill out a disclosure is only an offense if you get caught!

Old 06-01-2020, 05:35 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Even if they did have some record/database of projects, it would almost certainly be illegal to share this information with you for a multitude of reasons.

That would be so nice for that to be the case! However you would be surprised how much personal information (that includes a home's condition and activities) that is up for sale these days. Data, of which this type information is part of, is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. I've done something as simple as performed a WEB search on a house and came up with some pretty astounding information I never thought would have been available. And that's just the free information out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate