Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 03:30 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There are no lies in any of them, regardless of how many times you repeat your nonsense. Having read your comments here for quite a while I'm surprised you have such a unique view of the English vocabulary or that you have no problem in bending it to suit your selfish needs.

Again, government stifling the free flow of information is not in the best interest of consumers; your promotion of same is anti-consumer.

Ahhhh... "Doublethink." Nice Orwellian twist.
The Ministry of Truth would appreciate your steadfast devotion to "Lies are Truth."
Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 04:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ahhhh... "Doublethink." Nice Orwellian twist.
The Ministry of Truth would appreciate your steadfast devotion to "Lies are Truth."
Meh.
More diversion? Why not stick to the conversation? Tell us how you can justify calling these various estimates "lies." Tell us why the government should be a party to stifling the free flow of information. Your difficulty in making a sale is hardly compelling.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
More diversion? Why not stick to the conversation? Tell us how you can justify calling these various estimates "lies." Tell us why the government should be a party to stifling the free flow of information. Your difficulty in making a sale is hardly compelling.

Pointing out that you are comfortable with lying for profit is hardly a diversion.
Recognizing your anti-consumer posture, and your comfort with irresponsible online appraisals and particularly Zillow's anti-consumer posture, is core to the conversation.
Some of us believe that "information" should be founded in truth and accuracy to actually be considered "information." Willing using disinformation for profit does not automatically confer admirable status on lies.

Truly, it is Orwellian to label lies as "information."

Old 06-10-2020, 07:19 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
So we have a farmhouse, it's fairly unique so no comps. How do I get a reasonable estimate of the value if Zillow can not be trusted? I don't want to take up an agent's time now, we are years from selling, but one gave us a value that was $50,000 higher than Zillow or Realtor.com but that was maybe 5 years ago.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So we have a farmhouse, it's fairly unique so no comps. How do I get a reasonable estimate of the value if Zillow can not be trusted? I don't want to take up an agent's time now, we are years from selling, but one gave us a value that was $50,000 higher than Zillow or Realtor.com but that was maybe 5 years ago.
Pay for a market value appraisal from a qualified licensed appraiser?
Bear in mind, a legitimate appraisal is still an opinion, and only a snapshot of a particular point in time.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Zillow is only as good as the comps and tax appraisal data. In a big tract development where most houses are similar, I'm sure it's pretty accurate. My town is diverse. Are you using an oceanfront home as a comp? Are you using a 1960's small tract home as a comp? Are you using the sketchy end of town near the downtrodden city line house as a comp? The town doesn't get it right for tax appraisals. I don't see how a computer program could ever get it right. Besides, the appraiser and Zillow don't know that I spent as much remodeling over the last decade as I paid for the house. The tax appraisal doesn't pick that up, either. It doesn't double the value of the house but premium finishes and all new systems increase the value.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Pointing out that you are comfortable with lying for profit is hardly a diversion.
Recognizing your anti-consumer posture, and your comfort with irresponsible online appraisals and particularly Zillow's anti-consumer posture, is core to the conversation.
Some of us believe that "information" should be founded in truth and accuracy to actually be considered "information." Willing using disinformation for profit does not automatically confer admirable status on lies.

Truly, it is Orwellian to label lies as "information."
There is nothing "Orwellian" in pointing out that you do not understand the definition of "lying" but will use the word to attempt to legitimize your argument; or you do understand the meaning of the word and are trying to intentionally deceive the casual reader - which happens to fit the definition of "lying."

You had a decent amount of credibility on these boards for a long time; it's a shame to give it away so casually because you may have lost a sale or two for the apparent inability to explain to your customers what those estimates represent.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Zillow is only as good as the comps and tax appraisal data. In a big tract development where most houses are similar, I'm sure it's pretty accurate. My town is diverse. Are you using an oceanfront home as a comp? Are you using a 1960's small tract home as a comp? Are you using the sketchy end of town near the downtrodden city line house as a comp? The town doesn't get it right for tax appraisals. I don't see how a computer program could ever get it right. Besides, the appraiser and Zillow don't know that I spent as much remodeling over the last decade as I paid for the house. The tax appraisal doesn't pick that up, either. It doesn't double the value of the house but premium finishes and all new systems increase the value.
That's why every site that includes these estimates has very clear disclosures of what they are and what they are not. A house I used to live in and was in six months ago is probably worth about $400,000 today but Zillow has it at $592,000 and Realtor,com at $681,000. Why would any serious buyer believe either is something to be taken as any kind of number on which to base a purchase?

Old 06-10-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
There is nothing "Orwellian" in pointing out that you do not understand the definition of "lying" but will use the word to attempt to legitimize your argument; or you do understand the meaning of the word and are trying to intentionally deceive the casual reader - which happens to fit the definition of "lying."

You had a decent amount of credibility on these boards for a long time; it's a shame to give it away so casually because you may have lost a sale or two for the apparent inability to explain to your customers what those estimates represent.

My integrity is the basis of the credibility I have.
I'm satisfied with the credibility level I have with honest people.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
My integrity is the basis of the credibility I have.
I'm satisfied with the credibility level I have with honest people.
Then why jeopardize it by intentionally misusing words like "lies" in an attempt to prove a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate