Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 AM

68 posts, read 57,826 times

Advertisements

I understand that the buyers of the house will get a draft settlement statement emailed to them 3 days from closing. But what about the sellers? We are scheduled to close tomorrow but don't know what our proceeds will be because we have not got any seller closing statement paper work yet.

Yes, I can guess what the proceeds will be but I don't want to show up at settlement on Thursday and be given a set of papers to sign without having a chance to review them first and compare it to my estimates.

As a seller when did you get the estimated seller closing statement? 1,2 or 3 days before closing, or did you not see anything until the actual closing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Your agent should have provided it. If you have no agent you are on your own.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:08 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Although legally buyers are supposed to get their closing statement 3 days before closing, it often doesn't happen. Typically title companies will create the seller's statement after the buyer's is approved by the lender. I don't think there is a legal time requirement for sellers.

There can also be delays for sellers related to real estate tax information. Considering we are in a pandemic when many government offices (depending on where you're located) are still not fully staffed or working remotely, it's not surprising. One can literally read and comprehend the seller's statement in 10 minutes.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:57 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Although legally buyers are supposed to get their closing statement 3 days before closing, it often doesn't happen. Typically title companies will create the seller's statement after the buyer's is approved by the lender. I don't think there is a legal time requirement for sellers. ...
Close, but you have your language mixed up so your statement isn't quite correct. Buyers have to receive their closing disclosure from the lender 3 days prior to closing. That has to happen if a loan is involved.

The ALTA (closing statement that you're referring to in your post) can vary. Sometimes you get it a few days ahead of closing, sometimes you see it for the first time at closing. Sellers and buyers usually have the ALTA sent to them from the closing company at the same time.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 AM

68 posts, read 57,826 times
The laws and policies are all very interesting but my main point and concern were not getting a full description of the various taxes and fees connected with my home sale in advance of the actual closing. In a perfect world, I would like to compare their figures against a spreadsheet I developed with my estimates instead of just having it thrown at me at the actual closing with a pen in my hand.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:20 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
did you ask your agent to get you one, because you wanted to review it before signing? The title officer should be able to get them one to give you, o get you one directly. And explain to you what might change.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:02 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
The laws and policies are all very interesting but my main point and concern were not getting a full description of the various taxes and fees connected with my home sale in advance of the actual closing. In a perfect world, I would like to compare their figures against a spreadsheet I developed with my estimates instead of just having it thrown at me at the actual closing with a pen in my hand.
You should always insist on getting a closing statement prior to closing. I usually receive them at least 2 or 3 days prior to closing--regardless of which side I'm working.

By the way, how did your closing go?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:58 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
This could be resolved quickly with a call to the escrow company. Far easier than posting here.

I did a refinance recently where I didn't see the numbers ahead of time, only at time of signing. And due to Covid there was no paper copy for me.

I took pictures of the settlement statement to review later, and then had the escrow company send me a digital copy after close.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:48 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You should always insist on getting a closing statement prior to closing. I usually receive them at least 2 or 3 days prior to closing--regardless of which side I'm working.

By the way, how did your closing go?

I, too, just wanna know if this little loveshack closed.
It's a real cliffhanger...

Old 07-04-2020, 02:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Hopefully, selling home needs a new user name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate