Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 11:21 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to hear this issue quite often now. Several decades ago it was already a thing when we were looking for a second home in Florida. Master bedroom, master suite, also Plantation shutters. Then we stopped hearing about it and now it's back it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 04:53 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
They're now referring to 'primary' bedrooms, bathrooms

A realtor group in Texas says it is going to stop using the word "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms because of the term's association with slavery. The Houston Association of Realtors says its listing service will now use the terms "primary bedroom" and "primary bath," CBS reports.

https://www.newser.com/story/292965/...ms-master.html
Here we call it "owner's suite" because it more accurately describes who will be living there.

In general "master" is archaic in that context.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here we call it "owner's suite" because it more accurately describes who will be living there.

In general "master" is archaic in that context.
I feel incensed at the word “owner” does someone own me lol This is ll just plain stupid. Just say 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms make them all happy

Old 07-05-2020, 08:23 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I feel incensed at the word “owner” does someone own me lol This is ll just plain stupid. Just say 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms make them all happy
No. You own the house. Again, it's a lot different to own things than people. Master bedroom makes reference the master of people. Refer to my earlier posts.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
The confusing part of the English language is that words can have multiple meanings. I've always thought that it must be very difficult for a foreigner to learn to speak and read English. We have so many homophones and so many words which can mean different things under different contexts. The English language--like all languages--is constantly evolving. (Evolution is real, folks.) Words fall out of favor, words take on new meanings, and new words are always created. Especially when describing a room in a house, one of the definitions of the word "master" is "primary" or "main". As such, it is an appropriate way to describe a bedroom or bathroom. Given the connotations involved, however, that may change over time. It's certainly not something that I worry about.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
“plantation” shutters....hmmm...let that sink in.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
John Legend called out the stupidity the other night. Realtors need to do a better job eliminating the type of real racism reflected in that Long Island newspaper piece, not worrying about whether some small portion of the population is offended.

of course, I've also heard such measures called "low hanging fruit" and THEN they'll address any actual racism.
That’s kind of how I looked at it. I changed it to Main on my inspection reports late last year. I just felt a little weird when talking to African American clients saying master. It took just a couple of minutes To change my template. Sure there is a long way to go but it just seemed like the least I could do. No reason not to work on big stuff and small stuff at the same time. Obviously the risk is people think that it fixes things.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:24 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That’s kind of how I looked at it. I changed it to Main on my inspection reports late last year. I just felt a little weird when talking to African American clients saying master. It took just a couple of minutes To change my template. Sure there is a long way to go but it just seemed like the least I could do. No reason not to work on big stuff and small stuff at the same time. Obviously the risk is people think that it fixes things.

I will probably call it Master until TMLS changes their terminology.

Good for HAR. This topic has really been around for many years. I don't really get the whining about it.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:40 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I will probably call it Master until TMLS changes their terminology.

Good for HAR. This topic has really been around for many years. I don't really get the whining about it.
I certainly still say it and I’m not going crazy because as has been pointed out, it’s definitely not fixing anything. On the other hand, the number of people I’ve seen over the last week or so who are vehemently arguing against changing it now and who are saying they will use the term more to make a point, makes me wonder about those people and what point they believe they are making.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:57 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I certainly still say it and I’m not going crazy because as has been pointed out, it’s definitely not fixing anything. On the other hand, the number of people I’ve seen over the last week or so who are vehemently arguing against changing it now and who are saying they will use the term more to make a point, makes me wonder about those people and what point they believe they are making.
Oh, some folks make many more points than they ever realize....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate