Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 13,608 times

Advertisements

Yes, people are having open houses as normal here. I had 15 couples/families at mine. House are stilling selling here. A lot within a week and over asking price. Buyers are complaining there isn’t enough inventory here in Webster Groves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 04:05 PM

I’ll check with my realtor and check myself what the recent sold houses went for. I already checked a few and prices seem to be with in our range for comparable homes.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:16 PM

496 posts, read 445,584 times
I wouldn't consider it a fixer upper at all either. I'd do away with the red walls and the black accent wall in the bathroom. The kitchen floors look a little too dark along with the darker colors. But I wouldn't mess with it - flooring is expensive and I wouldn't paint the cabinets ever.

Also maybe clean up the deck area a bit and under it.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I wouldn't consider it a fixer upper at all either. I'd do away with the red walls and the black accent wall in the bathroom. The kitchen floors look a little too dark along with the darker colors. But I wouldn't mess with it - flooring is expensive and I wouldn't paint the cabinets ever.

Also maybe clean up the deck area a bit and under it.
I agree about painting over the dark colors.

It always amazes me how few people are able to look past paint colors they don’t agree with, but buyers who are young or new to the area may just see repainting as another thing to add to a growing and expensive moving to-do list.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree about painting over the dark colors.

It always amazes me how few people are able to look past paint colors they don’t agree with, but buyers who are young or new to the area may just see repainting as another thing to add to a growing and expensive moving to-do list.
Most people want move-in ready homes, many don't want to deal with contractors / painters. They are willing to pay more for that.

That's why I always repaint in neutral color before selling. That coat of fresh paint earns every dollar I paid for it, and then some.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:37 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
The house has some nice interior architectural features and the wood floors look really good. Some inexpensive staging could go a long way. Buy coordinated comforter sets with pillow shams instead of just covering the whole bed (and pillows) with a blanket or sheet - it's not a good look. New bedding will give the house a fresh look and keep buyers from thinking that someone just got out of the bed. Make sure the house is clean. It looks like there's a lot of dust on the black coffee table. Put the sectional back together. As it is now, you can see the hinges on the side of the sofa where it should attach to the rest of the sectional. Don't take any suggestions personally. I believe you're sincere in looking for advice and I've bought and sold a number of times myself and when I'm buying a house, I want to feel a distance from the seller. I think this house has too much of the owner's personal stamp on it.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:47 PM

764 posts, read 391,863 times
We always keep all our walls a neutral color, a very light beige. It brightens the house and people know they won't have to paint. We declutter Everything. We even put our clothes hampers in the trunk of our car. Take all the magnets off the fridge, make the house impersonal.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
I would also repaint the red and black accent walls and whatever color the wall is in the basement it looks pinkish. Also get rid of the black curtains and shower curtain and the stairs to the basement look hazardous without a rail, wouldn't pass inspection where I live. Not fond of the phrase "pickiest of buyers", seems negative.

The photos are bad, I work as a marketing coordinator for a real estate company and at a bare minimum would have edited the kitchen photos to reduce the contrast and lighten them up. Your broker can send out photos to Box Brownie for next to no money and have them virtually stage them so buyers can see how great the place can look.

I think it's a cute place, the hardwood floors look nice and it looks like it has nice space and light. Maybe it will pick up more after the holiday.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice. Don’t worry about hurting my feelings. I don’t take any of this personal. If you have these concerns then potential buyers will too. I already removed all paintings, pictures, fridge magnets and other personal stuff. I’ll declutter more tomorrow (coat and shoe rack, closets, etc). I’ll remove the black curtains and find some better bedding to stage. I’m going to check with some people to help me paint so I can do it quickly as not to have any ladders, buckets and brushes laying around when I do get more showings. I’ll also talk to my realtor about the pictures and insist on more professional ones after everything is updated. Very good advice from all of you!

Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
I agree with others that repainting the bolder walls (the black, purple, red) and staging would really help. It says there are 4 bedrooms, but only 2 are really used as bedrooms and one is really tiny. Staging would give an idea of how the rooms are really used.

Plus, the carpeted room has some items that look like pet items in there- that would definitely turn me away. Why is the couch taken apart and in two rooms? If a sectional fits in one room, then people would benefit from seeing that they could fit their sectional in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate