Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:10 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times

Advertisements

The black paint in the bathrooms is turn off, the red paint in the bedrooms is a turn off. Its hard to paint over these two colors and I would not purchase it. If i were you i would paint over those walls. In the bathroom paint it white, it will make it look larger. Master bedroom off white. The carpet on picture 12 i would remove and put luxury vinyl plank, it has an outside door all i can think of is it will get wet and smell. The red walls on
Pic 14 should Be changed to a neutral color.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...zpid/?mmlb=g,9 This house is cheaper than yours and so beautifully done, its also smaller.

You have a beautiful home i would do a few updates with paint, remove carpet in that one room. I think the problem is yours hasnt been updated in the bathrooms when i look at sold or for sale on same street the other homes have been updated,

So to me your price is too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 07:17 AM

118 posts, read 107,235 times
Are your systems old? I always look at disclosures first, is there something on your disclosure you could fix? Your home is very nice, but the black bathroom/red room may kill deal for some who are really picky and not thinking clearly.

I don't know if most people look at disclosures first (or if all states allow the buyer to) but I do and I pay little attention to pretty pictures unless I HATE layout.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:20 AM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
Your house is a 1920s bungalow with the awkward front room floor plan because the front door opens directly into the wide living room, effectively splitting it in half and making it less usable. It'd have been much better off with the front door to the side, facing the staircase. I'm not sure why this style was briefly popular in the 20s for the awkwardness it must have caused.

Repaint the bold paint (which you should have done prior to listing, especially the black walls).

Beyond that the only criticism I have is your front door, which isn't original and I don't like it. But that's just me. Others will doubtlessly not care.

I did look up other houses in your zip code.

This house is for sale on your street:

https://www.redfin.com/MO/Webster-Gr.../home/93510068

It's slightly more, but it's also much more updated inside. More modern and better quality kitchen, more neutral, some lovely cabinetry around the fireplace, the color scheme is softer on the eye and more enduring. It's also been on the market as long as your house. Maybe this is telling?

The price range in your town is quite big. If I were in your price bracket, I'd jump for this house:
https://www.redfin.com/MO/Webster-Gr.../home/93562893

It needs cosmetics improvement but with some paint and a new kitchen this place could really sparkle.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:23 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynote View Post
I’ll definitely ask my realtor why she didn’t hire a professional photographer. I was kind of surprised by that too.

We decided on this price based on similar listings in the neighborhood and average price per square foot. We didn’t have many showing. only 4 :-(
not that I put a lot of faith in it - but right before you were listed the Zestimate was ~10% less. "If" (a huge if) that Zestimate is accurate, then you're overpriced.

when you say you priced/sqft ... do the other comps also have a basement, and how is that figured in square footage - allowed and reported or just extra space? Are most 2,000 sqft homes 4 beds/2BA's? Detached garage?

seems the need for professional photos has been made clear and agreed-to.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Hello OP,

Just a couple of observations (I'm not a RE professional, just obsessed with houses!)

The photos are OK and the paint doesn't bother me as much as some others who responded. People, it's just an accent wall! It will take two coats if you buy good paint. Relax!

Finished basement is a plus, but doesn't quite work for me. I'd want more natural light if possible & hate those dropped acoustic panel ceilings. Hardwood floors look nice!

Here's why I wouldn't buy your house:

Vinyl siding is an instant NO.

Bathrooms are consistent with the age of the house, but I prefer updated baths & kitchen. Having to stand in that claw foot tub to take a shower is a turnoff.

Before I'd buy a house built in 1920, I'd want to verify that the electrical, HVAC and plumbing had all been replaced.

Most of my issues are with the exterior. The lot may be over 1/3 acre, but the neighboring houses look awfully close. Lot looks very long and skinny.

It looks as though you are on one of the busier streets in the area. On Google Street View, the properties across the way look poorly kept up (e.g. overgrown, rutted driveway).

Looking at Zillow (which I know isn't always accurate) it looks like there are a LOT of properties on the market in your area, including 679 Marshall across the street asking only $20K more. Note that the listing says right up front: "All new kitchen & baths,new zoned HVAC,new water heater,new plumbing & electrical" and also that this house is 500 sq ft bigger on a larger lot. This property has been professionally staged, too.

You look pretty overpriced in comparison, and IMO the negatives don't have anything to do with paint color and will be very hard for you to correct. You may have to lower your price.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
So, looking at forking out $370k for a house, not including interest if having a mortgage, and your concern is a few bucks and labor (if you do it yourself) for paint?

Wow...
I would not pay 370K for a home and have to put in another 1500 or so for paint. No way. Wow all you want, my time is valuable.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
I've been looking for a home for a while now but in NY, not MO so I"m looking at your listing through a buyers eyes. Yours is a cute home. I love the Craftsman style.

It wouldn't bother me but I can tell you why my husband wouldn't want it. The red and black paint colors. I can just hear him saying' ugh, that red and black is going to be impossible to paint over.' So, as others have said, repaint those area's if you can afford to do so.

The only drawback for me is I can't picture how I personally would place furniture in your living room based on the photo or angle of the living room shown and the way your furniture is placed now doesn't really give me any clue. So again, as others have mentioned perhaps a stager can help.

I've seen homes for sale on line that have virtual staging. They show the room as is, and then in the next photo add the virtual furniture. It's really helpful and amazing at what a difference it makes. Maybe your agent could do something like that?

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2020, 08:48 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Take Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynote View Post
My realtor took the pictures.
She should be fired. A professional photographer costs $100-$200.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Things you have to consider.

1: With the pandemic lock down, most people are not looking to buy a home today. As your home has been on the market for only 10 days, you are looking for an almost impossible thing to happen which would have been a sale in 10 days with what is going on in the country at this time

2: High and growing unemployment, and a lot of potential buyers are not going to even consider buying a home, until their future employment, is more assured than today.

3: Home has been opened up to an open floor plan, and is not supporting the craftsman look of the outside. Open floor plans are already falling out of favor in much of the USA. This total problem can turn off a lot of potential buyers,.

4: Hideous red and black walls. will turn off buyers quicker than anything. Same for some of the window coverings.

5: As some have pointed out, some of your competition kind of knocks you out of the water. Only way to beat out some of that competition would be a price reduction.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Okay, FWIW --

We just sold our 1988 home in two days, and it was NOT in perfect condition, and it is not "updated". Comps in our neighborhood for similar homes have been selling for an average of $450k. Our agent wanted to list our home at $440k, but we told her to list it at $425k because we needed to sell it as we are retiring out of state -- and the last time we tried to sell it (four years ago), we listed it at "comp" price, received zero offers in a month, reduced it by $5k, and still received no offers, at which point we took it off the market. (In short, we listed it for two months and received no offers even after a price reduction.)

Well, THIS time, since we priced it "low", we had 40 showings in two days and four offers -- two at list price and two over list price. (If all goes well, we close in 12 days, but so far, so good, knock wood. The appraisal came through with no problem and although the inspection showed a LOT of problems, the buyers only had us address five of them, the most serious being that we need to replace the roof due to hail damage, which will be done this week.) Btw, we are live in a very good neighborhood in an excellent location.

Anyway, regarding colors, that would not be a problem for most buyers, I think, and although I prefer neutral colors, I prefer kitchens like yours to the stark modern white look that is currently fashionable, which I hate,, and I also hate gray, taupe and greige. (All of our interior walls are painted entirely in a light buttery cream, with dark wood floor boards and trim.) Remember that taste and preferences are very personal, and you can't please everyone. in fact, when we bought the home above, the previous owners had installed new flooring and a new countertop and sink before listing the home, and we just ended up tearing it all out! We would have much preferred it if they had just reduced the listing price by $5k.

In short, I think that if you took the average selling price for similar homes in your community, reduced that amount by by the amount it would take to repaint and do any necessary fix-ups, and then take an additional $10k off that, you should receive at least a few offers.

Good luck!!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-04-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate