U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a home seller I think the following about doing a rent back
Waste of time because 99% of the time the house will close on time. 6 25.00%
Nice to have but most buyers will reject a rent back in the sales contract 10 41.67%
I won't sell a home without a rent back of at least 15-30 days. It protects me! 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM

67 posts, read 42,047 times

Advertisements

Did you do a rent back when you sold your home?

Many buyers are not interested in being a landlord and want to get possession of the house as quickly as possible. But a friend got burned badly when he did not have a rent back and rented an apartment two weeks before he was going to close on the sale of the house. He paid the rent, security deposit and signed a lease on the apartment and started to move things slowly over to the apartment. The house was empty a week before the scheduled closing.

The day after his home was emptied and he had moved into the apartment the buyer of the house lost her job and the closing was canceled. It took months to sell the house empty of furniture and in a changing economy. It eventually sold but for far less money than expected and he had to pay rent and mortgage at the same time for a long time.

What do you think about rent backs as a buyer and seller?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM

10,136 posts, read 13,135,633 times
?? Not sure how a rent-back agreement would have helped the seller in this situation, since the buyer was financially unable to close and could not be its landlord. Are you suggesting that the seller should have given the potential buyer a rent-back agreement - so the buyer could/would rent the house if the sale fell through?

I've seen rent-back agreements used by sellers when they are not quite ready to move out, and the buyer is also not quite ready to move-in. In that instance, a Rent-back is a good thing and benefits both parties.

Still, it's not clear how you think a Rent-Back agreement would have helped your friend (?) Even if they had a Rent-Back agreement, the seller alone made the decision and choice to move-out of the house and obligate themselves to an entirely independent lease agreement, prior to closing. That's the "lesson to be learned" in this situation!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 5,624 times
I'm guessing because of "no rent back" he decided to rent an apartment . If he had an agreement with the buyer, he would have still been in the home.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:04 AM

49,943 posts, read 52,337,927 times
Rent-backs are usually very specific to each situation. There isn't a logical way to say they are "all" a waste of time or essential.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:14 AM

39,018 posts, read 67,591,940 times
I would move before selling, every time.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:16 AM

31,928 posts, read 73,469,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
What do you think about rent backs as a buyer and seller?
It's about the worst way for a buyer (or seller) to manage having a time lapse between addresses. Plan better.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,351,470 times
When buying my home the seller asked for a rent back just before we were scheduled to close. If I remember correctly they were asking for about 4 weeks.. this is basically what I said to them:

Mortgage, taxes and insurance for the month would be $2,500. I'd also need storage and to rehire movers to move everything from storage to the home $2,000. I'd need a place to live for the month short term $2,000. I'd also need to be compensated for the inconvenience $1,000.

So I said they could pay $7,500 for the extra month because that is what it would essentially cost me... they were then magically able to get out of the home on time.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,351,470 times
When buying a rental property the owner asked for a 2 month rent back which was $400 over my mortgage and expenses... that actually worked out like a charm as the mortgage payments didn't kick in for 2 months. So I walked into the property already $2,800 ahead.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:10 AM

18,321 posts, read 3,985,497 times
We rented to a seller once. Church going couple with adult children, business owners who begged to be able to stay in the beautifully decorated home over Christmas. It got unpleasant to say the least. When I sign the check I want the key!

Even with loss of employment cancelling a closing is not a stroke of a pen with nothing for the seller. It is a calculated risk.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:31 AM

27,920 posts, read 37,961,692 times
A couple of different times I've had serious problems with sellers who refused to get out. No way on God's Green Earth would I ever allow a seller to rent back.

You sold it. It isn't yours any more. Get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate