Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:52 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times

Advertisements

Not a chance. First parks are full of bullies even little kids, in all neighborhoods, and teens are attracted to evenings in the park. But now parks are being taken over but encampments for homeless and or political gain. Course I am in a suburb of the dreaded Minneapolis. Right now one of our biggest parks, Powderhorn, is a homeless, drug addict, political encampment with dirty used needles all over the place for the few children that still try to play there. You never know when “they” are coming for Your park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Would you buy a house in a subdivision that borders a community park? This would be in a upper middle class area. The park has a walking/jogging trail, big center greenspace, playground, small picnic tables, and public bathrooms. It doesn't draw huge crowds (about 20 parking spots), and there are no organized sports played there.

The subdivision has about 20 homes, and this specific home is at the far end (maybe 80-100 yards away, so not much noise traveling from the park). The subdivision has its own special pedestrian entrance to the park with a gate code. The subdivision front entrance is not gated, so any cars can drive in.

Thoughts?
Secluded + public bathrooms, pass

Old 07-10-2020, 12:43 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Not a chance. First parks are full of bullies even little kids, in all neighborhoods, and teens are attracted to evenings in the park. But now parks are being taken over but encampments for homeless and or political gain. Course I am in a suburb of the dreaded Minneapolis. Right now one of our biggest parks, Powderhorn, is a homeless, drug addict, political encampment with dirty used needles all over the place for the few children that still try to play there. You never know when “they” are coming for Your park!
Powderhorn has never been a great neighborhood. At least, when I lived in MPLS several years ago it wasn't a very good neighborhood, there were concerns about rapes happening in that park. But plenty of other neighborhoods have parks that add to the value of the neighborhoods in Minneapolis (Minehaha Creek or Lake Harriet Bandshell.)

Old 07-10-2020, 01:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
That wouldn't be a show stopper for me. Events are happy noises. And they can be heard for many blocks.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:39 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That wouldn't be a show stopper for me. Events are happy noises. And they can be heard for many blocks.

You're welcome to come to my house and listen to "RUN, RUN, RUN, KICK, KICK ,KICK for 12 to 14 hours a day during the Summer & Fall from 10 soccer fields. Those are the only 2 things you can do in soccer yet the parents seem to have to remind the little rug rats of it every moment of the game. Not to mention the air horns they blow.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Good luck with that where you live.
Why is that? It's all built out where I live, no room to put anything else here, with the possible exception that someone may add a small ADU, if their yard is large enough, and that's unlikely.

I live in the SF Bay Area, not necessarily San Francisco proper.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You're welcome to come to my house and listen to "RUN, RUN, RUN, KICK, KICK ,KICK for 12 to 14 hours a day during the Summer & Fall from 10 soccer fields. Those are the only 2 things you can do in soccer yet the parents seem to have to remind the little rug rats of it every moment of the game. Not to mention the air horns they blow.
Sounds like living in lilburn ga.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:36 AM

31 posts, read 19,735 times
I wouldnt if open to the public

Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Many places have homeless in the parks. Upper middle class isn't exempt.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,202 times
There's a big debate down here in our town about the noise occurring from pickleball courts that were built there recently.

We took the dog down there for a walk just to see if it was as bad as the people were living there were claiming.

Yeah, it was pretty obnoxious... that pop, pop, popping sound actually did irritate after only a short time. No way would I want to live near that. But the kids yelling and hooting it up on the playground? Now, that was nice.

Even if the park seems benign now, be wary of how things change. Open spaces can become not so nice, no guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate