Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 01:30 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

I would just leave the Internet hooked up, and get a couple of plug in, always on cameras with motion recording. Just need one or two of them, put one in the living room and some other common area. I would also get a lamp and put it on a timer, or a smart outlet, so to a casual person, it at least looks someone might be there.

It is all about deterrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:40 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Be aware...not all insurance companies will continue to insure vacant properties. If they do, the policy can cost 3 or more times as much for equivalent coverage you had while occupying it. Before you approach them get some sort of security system in place, in particular one that is actively monitored. No, having a neighbor keep an eye on the house won't satisfy them, but definitely let trustworthy neighbor(s) know the house is vacant and to call if anything seems off. A light or two and/or radio on a timer somewhere indoors on use patterns similar to what you had while living there (but not in direct line of sight with a window) is still a simple deterrent.
We had a similar situation with a home sale earlier this year. Our agent advised us to leave a few pieces of furniture in the house that would be visible if someone looked in the window. They said that several insurers they knew would send someone out to see if the house was still occupied and if there was some furniture in it they would consider it to be occupied.

RM

Old 07-24-2020, 12:35 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you have sold the house it is now someone else's problem
Not until the escrow is closed.

Even when my properties were in escrow, I kept a close eye on the properties to make sure no damage occurred that I would be liable for until the keys were handed over.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:49 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
We sold a house in Texas. . . in July. . . . after we had moved to North Carolina. The biggest problem that we had was realtors walking in to show the house and cranking the A/C down to 50 degrees, and then leaving it that way after they left. A/C ran 24/7 and finally just gave up after a few weeks. We had to shell out 5 grand for a new A/C unit. I wanted to take it out of their commissions.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:52 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
My last home for sale sat vacant (no staging) for 4 months as we had relocated. We had a good sales agent who checked on the house at least once a week. She was not above tidying up if needed. She would call in the house cleaner if needed. She also checked on the landscaping and called the landscaper if any issues. Our neighbors knew it was for sale and they also kept an eye on it.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We sold a house in Texas. . . in July. . . . after we had moved to North Carolina. The biggest problem that we had was realtors walking in to show the house and cranking the A/C down to 50 degrees, and then leaving it that way after they left. A/C ran 24/7 and finally just gave up after a few weeks. We had to shell out 5 grand for a new A/C unit. I wanted to take it out of their commissions.
Wow. I had wifi controlled thermostats that I would change via app, and change the temperature an hour before showing, and then back to normal afterwards. That wifi controlled thermostat paid for itself, and was a bonus feature for the buyers.

The wifi thermostat also had a security lock code on it so no one could change it but me. Pretty convenient.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Wow. I had wifi controlled thermostats that I would change via app, and change the temperature an hour before showing, and then back to normal afterwards. That wifi controlled thermostat paid for itself, and was a bonus feature for the buyers.

The wifi thermostat also had a security lock code on it so no one could change it but me. Pretty convenient.
I have those now and they are great. I wish that they were available 13 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate