Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 21,573 times

Advertisements

Going by advice from my previous post about selling our house while out of state I agree we need a home monitoring system. We will keep our internet on and need advice on a system that is easy to install monitor and maintain. We are not techies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 11:59 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desfleurs View Post
Advice on best camera/alarm system for house on market while we are out of state
Choose a good one: the one you would have if you would have bought even if you weren't leaving town.
The buyers might even like that you're providing it with the deal.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:28 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times
Most consumer friendly, cheapest, and easiest to use, imo:

Wyze cams (dead simple to set up, free cloud recording)
Ring doorbell (super popular / easy to set up, cheap $3 per month fee)
Ring alarm system (cheap, easy to set up, cheap monthly monitoring fee)

You have a plethora of options, but if you want no hassle just work without too high of an expense, I'd start with these and then research others you want.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:33 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Based on direct experience, I would be very careful about utilizing any cameras that are wireless. I say that after moving from a wired system to a wireless (Arlo) one. My wired system caught and recorded any movement in the covered areas before, during and after the activity took place.

I changed over to Arlo cameras and found out that they have to "wake up" when movement occurs, and in some instances, this prevented me from recording any activity as by the time the camera had "woken up" and started recording the person or object was already out of the field.

RM

Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Based on direct experience, I would be very careful about utilizing any cameras that are wireless. I say that after moving from a wired system to a wireless (Arlo) one. My wired system caught and recorded any movement in the covered areas before, during and after the activity took place.

I changed over to Arlo cameras and found out that they have to "wake up" when movement occurs, and in some instances, this prevented me from recording any activity as by the time the camera had "woken up" and started recording the person or object was already out of the field.

RM
Good point, the Arlo cameras are battery operated, which causes them to be in sleep mode.

However, AC powered wifi cameras should be fine. I have them and they work pretty well at capturing pretty much all motion.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:06 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Good point, the Arlo cameras are battery operated, which causes them to be in sleep mode.

However, AC powered wifi cameras should be fine. I have them and they work pretty well at capturing pretty much all motion.
Agreed. I probably should have clarified that some of my former cameras were wifi but powered from utility power.

RM

Old 07-24-2020, 11:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
Quote:
Most consumer friendly, cheapest, and easiest to use, imo:

Wyze cams (dead simple to set up, free cloud recording)
Ring doorbell (super popular / easy to set up, cheap $3 per month fee)
Ring alarm system (cheap, easy to set up, cheap monthly monitoring fee)

You have a plethora of options, but if you want no hassle just work without too high of an expense, I'd start with these and then research others you want.
good suggestions, but if he's already using wyze cams and this is a temporary arrangement, why not just stick with the wyze ecosystem and go with the wyze alarm system as well?

Old 07-25-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
good suggestions, but if he's already using wyze cams and this is a temporary arrangement, why not just stick with the wyze ecosystem and go with the wyze alarm system as well?
Does Wyze make an alarm system? If they do I've not heard of it.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:16 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
Quote:
Does Wyze make an alarm system? If they do I've not heard of it.
https://wyze.com/wyze-sense.html

Old 07-27-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I have those. That is not an alarm system. Just a smart home sensor kit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate