Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 02:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know most will not like my solution, but here goes...

I think it is very simple. Do away with forced confiscation of assets (aka everything from sales, property and income taxes) and allow people who would now be keeping 100% of their money to fund whatever they choose. Do fundraisers, telethons, go fund me type drives to raise the money. Look how much money people get when someone's story hits the news and people start donating to their go fund me page. But do not raise money for individuals do it for a school district, etc. Its better than just keeping a large faceless bureaucracy afloat.

I spent years in fundraising. People are very generous even when they are saddled with a mountain of taxes they have to pay every year.
That is a simple solution for simple people. Totally unworkable, but simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
All of the tax provided services (police, fire, schools, port, airport, road maintenance) have to be done whether or not anyone uses them. Firefighters might sit idle for hours or days, police in cities like ours with little crime are not too busy, but have to be there and available in case they are needed. That all costs money. It would make most sense to charge property tax based on the number of residents. The problems are that the number changes with kids growing up, and now some coming back. Also, because the average family is so small, the amount per person would be huge to maintain the same level of revenue to the city, county and state. I remember as a kid when there were 9 of us plus our parents, and a grandfather in a house worth about $100k. Today that house, if sold again would have a tax at about $12,000/year. If based on occupants and there were only 2, they would be charged $6,000 each to maintain the same level of funding. The only ways for property taxes go down is if the strong public employee unions went away, and public agencies were able to purchase on the open market rather than having strict bid process regulations which ends up costing a lot more just in the CPO staff time.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Since I am dead right, I need no "arguments" to please trolling vapidity.
However, I will play along in this instance, JFF.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/owning
own[ ohn ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR own ON THESAURUS.COM
adjective
of, relating to, or belonging to oneself or itself (usually used after a possessive to emphasize the idea of ownership, interest, or relation conveyed by the possessive):
He spent only his own money.
(used as an intensifier to indicate oneself as the sole agent of some activity or action, preceded by a possessive):
He insists on being his own doctor.
verb (used with object)
to have or hold as one's own; possess:
They own several homes.
to acknowledge or admit:
to own a fault.
to acknowledge as one's own; recognize as having full claim, authority, power, dominion, etc.:
He owned his child before the entire assembly. They owned the king as their lord.
SEE MORE
verb (used without object)
to confess (often followed by to, up, or up to):
The one who did it had better own up. I own to being uncertain about that.
Posses != own.
Look up the difference.
Then compare to rent.
Owning has no conditions implied. When you have to make perpetual payments on something, otherwise it'll be taken from you, it is not owning. It is renting.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:42 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Posses != own.
Look up the difference.
Then compare to rent.
Owning has no conditions implied. When you have to make perpetual payments on something, otherwise it'll be taken from you, it is not owning. It is renting.
Take your own trolling advice: Look up "owning." There are no stipulations about payments, etc, in dictionary definitions.

As an owner, I have more legal protections than any renter could imagine.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Take your own trolling advice: Look up "owning." There are no stipulations about payments, etc, in dictionary definitions.

As an owner, I have more legal protections than any renter could imagine.
Exactly. As I said, "owning" has no stipulations about payments, because there are none. In case of USA (and most other countries) you don't own your home. Period.

As for "protections", you have exact same situation as renter.
Miss rent payment - you are thrown out of the rental unit.
Miss property tax payment - - you are thrown out of the home that you "own".

You are perpetual renter at the mercy (that doesn't happen) of your landlord. Once you'll be past the denial stage, it'll be quite clear to you.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:17 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Exactly. As I said, "owning" has no stipulations about payments, because there are none. In case of USA (and most other countries) you don't own your home. Period.

You are perpetual renter at the mercy (that doesn't happen) of your landlord. Once you'll be past the denial stage, it'll be quite clear to you.
LOL
Goofy is as Goofy does. Have a good evening.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:42 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:

By your definition of “ownership” you own nothing unless you also have the biggest, best equipped army. Because ultimately you own nothing you can’t defend, by that definition.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:48 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:

<yawn>

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 PM

779 posts, read 424,446 times
What a terrible existence it must be to believe you can never truly own anything and the evil government has their boot on your neck every step of the way.

Think I'll stick with paying my mortgage, paying my taxes, and living with the silly illusion that I own my home. I've enjoyed it far more than renting and the check I got from selling my old place seemed real enough to me. Didn't even have to pay taxes on it, must be a glitch in the Matrix.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
What a terrible existence it must be to believe you can never truly own anything and the evil government has their boot on your neck every step of the way.

Think I'll stick with paying my mortgage, paying my taxes, and living with the silly illusion that I own my home. I've enjoyed it far more than renting and the check I got from selling my old place seemed real enough to me. Didn't even have to pay taxes on it, must be a glitch in the Matrix.
Just wait till you retire
Once you can no longer afford your property tax (especially with the upcoming hyperinflation) and be booted from the house you "own" to the street for not paying the property tax, we can talk again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate