Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:17 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times

Advertisements

I've noticed something different about Zillow regarding FSBO and that is they list prospective agents as well as the actual owner with contact info. Other sites were matchmaking services designed to set up a buyer with an agent and don't list owner info. Found this on Zillow's site which doesn't speak to that directly, but sheds more light:

i. For Sale by Owner (FSBO) and For Rent by Owner (FRBO). Only the property owner may advertise it as a FSBO or FRBO. Zillow Group may require that you provide a certificate of title or other documentation to verify you are the owner. If Zillow Group is unable to verify that you are the property owner, Zillow Group may remove the listing(s) and/or your claim on the listing(s). If you are represented by an agent you may not represent your home as a FSBO.

The three other sites I've looked at that do have contact info, FIZBER, forsalebyowner, and FBSO, don't seem to have many listings on them, or at least in the areas I'm researching. Advantage Zillow.

I have cash so am looking to contact a real estate attorney and title company if I move forward with this. I am currently not working with a real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 10:42 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
What is your question?

Old 07-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Agents pay a premium to get exclusive referrals for Zillow fsbo.

Several agent friends explained how they utilize Zillow as their marketing scheme and what that costs them to do so.

Of hundreds of inquiries on my Zillow FSBO, only a few buyers were able to contact me (owner) directly, always first get detoured to an agent, who's primary objective is to get a client that they can detour and make a commission sale to.

Tho I offered generous commission, only one agent brought a qualified client, but only due to their client demanding to see my place. I didn't have any trouble selling myself, as my current market is a seller advantage. Zillow just is another place to get exposure. FSBO is not their specialty, and they are sold out to brokers. Just like Autotrader, when the dealers bought it, there is no longer much value in using it, as it is dealer centric and no longer has the utility to find what YOU want, only what dealers offer, or what they want you to be channeled to.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
No Agents = No Zillow.

Agent money for years was all that floated Zillow's financial boat. Agents still provide the bulk of revenue, and if you no longer see agents, you will no longer see Zillow.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:32 AM

5,950 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Agents pay a premium to get exclusive referrals for Zillow fsbo.

Several agent friends explained how they utilize Zillow as their marketing scheme and what that costs them to do so.

Of hundreds of inquiries on my Zillow FSBO, only a few buyers were able to contact me (owner) directly, always first get detoured to an agent, who's primary objective is to get a client that they can detour and make a commission sale to.

Tho I offered generous commission, only one agent brought a qualified client, but only due to their client demanding to see my place. I didn't have any trouble selling myself, as my current market is a seller advantage. Zillow just is another place to get exposure. FSBO is not their specialty, and they are sold out to brokers. Just like Autotrader, when the dealers bought it, there is no longer much value in using it, as it is dealer centric and no longer has the utility to find what YOU want, only what dealers offer, or what they want you to be channeled to.
The "smart" FSBO sellers on Zillow make sure that their own phone number is prominently displayed in their description of the property and that it is clearly marked as the OWNER'S phone number. I've done that and had no problem at all getting lots of calls from buyers.

So, as a seller who has successfully sold a house due to my free FSBO ad on Zillow, I want to say "THANKS" to the realtors who provided me the free platform for doing so. That sure beats paying many thousands of dollars in commission.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:29 AM

9,108 posts, read 6,150,521 times
"The "smart" FSBO sellers on Zillow make sure that their own phone number is prominently displayed in their description of the property and that it is clearly marked as the OWNER'S phone number. I've done that and had no problem at all getting lots of calls from buyers.
"

Do not use your home phone or your mobile number. Get a pre-paid phone that you can dispose of after the sale. You don't want your "real" number floating out there on the web.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"The "smart" FSBO sellers on Zillow make sure that their own phone number is prominently displayed in their description of the property and that it is clearly marked as the OWNER'S phone number. I've done that and had no problem at all getting lots of calls from buyers.
"

Do not use your home phone or your mobile number. Get a pre-paid phone that you can dispose of after the sale. You don't want your "real" number floating out there on the web.
Nothing wrong with having your 'real' phone number out there. Agents do it all the time.

Your home address is also widely available on the internet.

Some of us even have our phone number on billboards.

I don't get any more marketing phone calls than my husband gets.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:40 AM

518 posts, read 868,305 times
Having my place on Zillow FSBO I've noticed lookers call one of the three agents at the bottom of the ad . The agent calls and wants showing and 3% commission if sold by them. I guess lookers don't want to deal with owners not knowing they could probably get a bet deal from the owner.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:16 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Having my place on Zillow FSBO I've noticed lookers call one of the three agents at the bottom of the ad . The agent calls and wants showing and 3% commission if sold by them. I guess lookers don't want to deal with owners not knowing they could probably get a bet deal from the owner.
What happens when you have something in your listing like "Principles Only" or "No Brokers"?

I realize there will still be some brokers who'll hound you for the listing, but the than those I would think this would discourage most to not bother you.

I've done a number of FSBOs in the past, but rather than deal with the hassles despite having a very good market I went with a fixed price listing. That way I got on MLS and had enough exposure that I was beatig offers away with the stick the first 3-4 days after the listing went live. Yes, it cost more, but was a lot less hassle than an FSBO. I would definitely do it again.

RM

Old 07-29-2020, 01:26 PM

9,108 posts, read 6,150,521 times
Default House Sold; Discontinue Phone Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Nothing wrong with having your 'real' phone number out there. Agents do it all the time.

Your home address is also widely available on the internet.

Some of us even have our phone number on billboards.

I don't get any more marketing phone calls than my husband gets.
After you sell your house you don't want to continue getting calls. That's the advantage of the pre-paid phone. House sold; phone cancelled. Agents have their phone number out there because they WANT to continue to get calls even if a particular house is sold. Their phone number is part of their marketing strategy. Your phone number isn't. An agent may have their phone number on a billboard, but I suspect that the average person selling a house doesn't want that ongoing after the sale.

This is recommended for anyone who has need of a temporary phone number whilst trying to preserve some privacy: selling a car, prospective surrogate families. listing on Craigs List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate