Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 02:15 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

No, a double bed is normal for adults.

Face it, you're oversized. And how wide are you anyway that you need a king sized bed (I can understand longer length)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
We had a large master bedroom in one house, but much of the space was wasted because we keep clothes elsewhere and don't watch tv in bed.
We moved the king bed and nightstands into the smallest bedroom (snug!), and used the master for a combination office/guestroom.

So...do you need bigger rooms? You toured the house, and they seemed ok then?

Old 07-29-2020, 02:32 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Face it, you're oversized. And how wide are you anyway that you need a king sized bed (I can understand longer length)?
Normal is a tricky word. Normal for you, perhaps, but small in many opinions.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:32 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Our master is 15 x 13. We fit a king bed, two nightstands, a dresser, a chest of drawers and two big dog beds. I am going to say that the size of the room isn't always the issue, but the layout could be. Our last house, the master was pretty close to the same size, however, one wall was closets with bifold doors and the door to the bedroom, two of the other walls had widows looking out at the view and the final wall had the door to the bathroom. It was tough to fit the furniture in that room, for sure. I finally found a short headboard so the view wasn't obscured and the head of the bed could go under those windows. We definitely have more wall space in our new house.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Normal is a tricky word. Normal for you, perhaps, but small in many opinions.
Well I'm 5-9 and 180 pounds and she's 5-4 and 110. In other words pretty much dead on average.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
I just signed an offer for a new house and am having a little buyers remorse. Now that I'm thinking about furnishing it I'm realizing that I never really thought about the sizes of some of the rooms. When I looked at them there wasn't much furniture. Its a 2,100 sq ft house and my master bed room is only 15 x 13 with a single sink bathroom and a square walk in shower and My family room is 16 x 14. These are all below average for even a smaller home. Then I have a loft which is 20 x 12 which is just an extra space that is almost bigger than my family room and master bedroom! I had such a long picky checklist when looking for a home where I thought I had everything covered, but now I can't believe I'm having second thoughts and I didn't think of these room sizes. The rest of the space is taken up by a living room and dining room.
Some buyer's remorse is normal at this phase of house-buying. You just signed a huge commitment. How rooms are laid out and function often matters more than how big they all are in square feet. Big rooms can function just as badly as small rooms. Rooms often look smaller when empty. People can get sidetracked by cosmetics and an overly picky checklist. Now you have a little better sense for what criteria to prioritize when looking for your NEXT house. If you have a lot of furniture or large pieces you know you'll keep, learn to "place" it in the house you are considering before you buy it. Live and learn. You'll probably move in and adjust just fine. If not, no one is preventing you from knocking out a wall or two or buying a different house in a few years. You aren't stuck there forever. If you do end up with family no guarantee that house will work at that point either.

IMHO for a single person your house sounds HUGE to me!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-29-2020 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Well I'm 5-9 and 180 pounds and she's 5-4 and 110. In other words pretty much dead on average.
I don't think any of us care what bed you think is appropriate. Most of us purchase beds that we find comfortable and for some of us, that means a king sized bed.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 PM

208 posts, read 100,071 times
Quote:

No double is not normal. King is more common than double. Queen is the most common. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-age-group/
Like I said, I only need a King if someone else is sleeping in bed with me, but I move around and sprawl out a lot at night, so I need a Queen just for me alone.

And I don’t know any adults who don’t have at least a queen sized bed. Double beds are for college kids or people who don’t want to pay for a queen. Why would an adult have a double bed when they can have a queen? How could two normal sized adults comfortably fit in a double bed? I don’t consider your heights average from the people I see everyday either.

Last edited by Durpie; 07-29-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 03:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Like I said, I only need a King if someone else is sleeping in bed with me, but I move around and sprawl out a lot at night, so I need a Queen just for me alone. And I don’t know any adults who don’t have at least a queen sized bed. Double beds are for college kids or people who don’t want to pay for a queen. Why would an adult have a double bed when they can have a queen? How could two adults comfortably fit in a double bed?
To each their own. You seem rather preoccupied with sizes of things OP. In the grand scheme of life, grasshopper, it makes no sense to be rigid or judgy about something so unimportant.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-29-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Quote:
I just signed an offer for a new house and am having a little buyers remorse. Now that I'm thinking about furnishing it I'm realizing that I never really thought about the sizes of some of the rooms. When I looked at them there wasn't much furniture. Its a 2,100 sq ft house and my master bed room is only 15 x 13 with a single sink bathroom and a square walk in shower and My family room is 16 x 14. These are all below average for even a smaller home. Then I have a loft which is 20 x 12 which is just an extra space that is almost bigger than my family room and master bedroom! I had such a long picky checklist when looking for a home where I thought I had everything covered, but now I can't believe I'm having second thoughts and I didn't think of these room sizes. The rest of the space is taken up by a living room and dining room.

Our first home was a 3/2 at only 1300 s.f. total - maybe that's obscene, but talk to the architect/builder ;O). All rooms were small by general standards (we had a queen bed in our master, because a king would have been way too tight), but when I was offered a way better job elsewhere, our house sold within a couple months (this was just before the 2008 crash, so it wasn't multiple offers within minutes of listing like we have recently, depending on the region/market, or/and maybe we listed high, but we certainly made out to our satisfaction).

Room size is in the eye of the person whom you sit across from at the closing table, when they're signing you a check for your (former) home. I know you're coming at this as a Buyer, and I'm giving the Seller's perspective, but same deal: only the buyer knows what they want/will pay.

Last edited by gball721; 07-29-2020 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate