Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We had a crazy couple like that. Came the first weekend the house was on teh market said they wanted to make an offer. Then they held off saying they didn't want to put a bid in and go into a bidding war. So we offered if they gave us asking price, we would pull it off the market.

Buyers came again to look at the house and sat in front of the house for around three hours after looking at it. Decided not to offer. Then came back two weeks later. Again sat outside the house for hours.

A few weeks later Buyer came with a verbal offer; we countered. They came to see the house again; sat in front of the house for hours once again. Then decided not to move forward with the purchase....
I think they came to my house after that
I don't understand why anyone would spend hours at a house, checking out the warranty on my hot water heater, the furnace, etc....ask about the neighbors, the schools, and then never even make an offer. I mean if it's price, they could still make an offer. I'll counter if I don't think it's enough, and if it's still too high, THEN walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Y'all are killing me. I'm trying to work and the laughter is not helping. People are looking at me. ROTFL!!!! Thanks for the laughs. Anyway, here are a few I've heard.

1. Looks like "builder grade" lighting. Yes it would be at THIS price and in THIS neighborhood.

2. They don't like the burgandy paint in the dining room. Ever heard of a PAINT CAN AND BRUSH?!?!?! That is how that paint got ON the walls. I did not like the "builder grade" white so I PAINTED OVER IT! Novel idea

3. The yard was "TOO BIG". Well it IS advertised as a "LARGE OVERSIZED Cul de Sac Lot". DUH!!!

4. "How much traffic do you get on this street?" Well, it IS a DEAD END cul de sac.

5. Best (hahahaha) "offer": While we take a contingency AND do a lease purchase? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to SELL the house. Anyway, your house is not even on the market YET!

6. Got another person wanting a contingency for the sale of their house. Again, not even ON the market yet. They did not like our shrubs (too groomed). Drove by their house and it had shrubs grown up all the way to the eaves of the house around the entire perimeter. Um, NO!!! I will NOT take a contingency on THAT house.

7. One of our old houses is for sale now. Their realtor is doing them a HUGE disservice. In the MLS write-up they have not a single mention of the size of the LARGE OVERSIZED cul de sac lot nor of the 3 car garage, large master suite, etc.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Oh my, if a buyer spent that much time analyzing my water heater warranty and sitting outside for house hours on end only to back out, I think I would have climbed the proverbial clock tower! heh heh......

Well my thing is if you have a severe allergy to carpets, wouldn't that be the first question out of your mouth when looking? If you must have four bedrooms, why even consider homes with less than that? House hunting is mostly common sense since it's based on your own preferences, right?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM

76 posts, read 291,325 times
Our most annoying feedback was that our house felt too much like an office because we had 5 computers (1 server, 1 desktop, and 3 laptops which were located various places throughout the house).

My husband and I are the first to admit we are geeks, but we were amazed that something like that could turn someone off from the house. All of our other feedback was generally positive, and we eventually sold to someone who didn't think the house felt like an office.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM

247 posts, read 997,583 times
"But it doesn't have a dining room!"

Nowhere on our mls did it state we had a dining room.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
People are just so funny. They either 'feel' the house or not, that I totally get. You have to be able to vision your idea. Unlike most people I like a house completely empty and not staged. I can see myself and my furniture in it better.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
There's a house in my neighborhood that sold last year that actually did need $100k worth of work. The kitchen had fake grey stones on the walls, with this cave-like structure built around the stove. Every room had mirrors on the ceilings, and the living and dining rooms had them on the walls also. Most rooms were painted red. The shrubs around the house were so overgrown, you couldn't see any of the windows. The front and back yards were full of statues and fountains. The bathrooms were also a mess and needed to be done over. Could you live in the house? Sure, but for me, the place would give me nightmares.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I think they came to my house after that
I don't understand why anyone would spend hours at a house, checking out the warranty on my hot water heater, the furnace, etc....ask about the neighbors, the schools, and then never even make an offer. I mean if it's price, they could still make an offer. I'll counter if I don't think it's enough, and if it's still too high, THEN walk away.

How about one that even takes video?

I think they liked my decorating and needed 2 trips to get the info on everything. I could clearly see they loved the house but even when called wouldn't put an offer in

I actually wanted them to have it.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
OMG, I am getting paranoid now about exactly what I say in front of my agent, LOL. I remember one house I went in a couple of weekends ago. Wasn't crazy about the house, but I myself made a comment about not liking gas stoves. (I have a weird thing about gas and prefer all electric, but anyways...)
I hope that's not the feedback she gave the listing agent to give to the seller...
After being a seller, it's sorta weird to switch gears...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 30,406 times
We've had a few too...

First person said that they didn't want to live in the suburb we were in. Hello? They KNEW what suburb we lived in before they came to see the house!

Second person said that they didn't like the color of the bricks. Well, our pictures on the MLS clearly show that we have a brown brick house!

Third person wanted us to "take a paintbrush" to all the natural solid wood moulding throughout the house. They KNEW we had solid wood moulding from the pictures!

I just don't understand why people would take the time to actually come to a house that they've already seen pictures of, and then have the nerve to complain that what they saw in the pictures is actually what the house looks like. It's a huge waste of our time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate