Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:10 AM

27 posts, read 123,818 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

I sold my house in Gilbert last October and got out by the skin of my teeth, literally. I was very lucky to say the least. Now it's my parents who are selling and I've been helping them get the house ready to put on the market.

Obviously AZ is tanking and it's a bad time to sell but my dad is retiring and they plan to follow me to Boise, ID (where I will be moving). Fortunately it seems as if the prices in Boise are falling a bit so if they can sell, it may end up just being wash in the end for them. That would be the best case scenario, anyway.

However, the question is will they be able to sell. In this market? Who knows. My mom is fairly stubborn as far as neutralizing so I got her to do as much as she would (at this point) but it's still probably not neutral enough. However, in their zip code and price range, their house is actually a standout so I'm hopeful that because of the upgrades and remodeling they've done over the years, they'll be able to sell before the end of the next century. It's pretty nice in comparison to most everything comparable around them.

Anyway, I'm totally nervous about this whole deal. The house is supposed to be listed by Friday night. I'm completely confident in the realtors we have (they sold my house for a good price in one day last October) so that's all good. I guess I'm mostly nervous because I keep thinking, "What if they can't sell it?" They're both getting on in age and I do not feel comfortable leaving AZ without them, basically. So I feel a lot of responsibility to get the house on the market and sold and I've helped them get it ready as much as possible.

To make a long story short, I thought I would take a leap of faith and post the photos on here to get some feedback. Please know I realize it's not totally beige and neutral. Believe me... I did the best I could with a mom who is very attached to what she's done in her house. I do feel it's a very nice home, though, and it's very comfortable and shows well so I'm nervous but hopeful.

Thanks in advance y'all! And wish us all luck getting to Boise sooner than later!

Nance House Photo Gallery by armatur at pbase.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
Please....are you kidding?
That house is in show condition. Leave it as is.
Just price aggressively, that's what will make you or break you in this market, not matter how well you're staged...
Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
This is beautiful! As long as it is priced competitively, I can't imagine anyone not liking it. Hopefully you don't have any new homes going up close by as that is the only possible distraction.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
it is gorgeous, you have nothing to worry about... unless there is tons of inventory in your 'hood. Really, beautiful. See MY Pics if you want to see color! I think this is very neutral.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Stunning...i wouldn't do a thing....the only issue you MIGHT have, in my opinion, is the pool....a family might not like the pool in a screened room , but maybe if it bothers them the room can be rid of...and i could be wrong, just thinking about when my kids were teens and we bought a house with a pool, they would have destroyed a room....but other than that it is beautiful. Just price it right. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,626 times
I echo all the above accolades, and add that the master bath looks fantastic!

The only negative I saw are the security doors/gate at the front entry. Although your parents' security doors appear to be tasteful, IMO they make a home's entry less approachable and are a red flag because they impart a suggestion of past/present criminal activity in the neighborhood.

If it were my home, I'd remove the security doors completely. If the side returns can't be removed without damaging the stucco, I'd cover/hide the returns with a couple of large potted climbing vines or trellised plants (that don't attract bees!) or slender evergreens, or something else that would complement & draw the eyes to the attractive front door.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Wow! How much!?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:54 PM

180 posts, read 656,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
However, the question is will they be able to sell. In this market? ...

...However, in their zip code and price range, their house is actually a standout so I'm hopeful that because of the upgrades and remodeling they've done over the years, they'll be able to sell before the end of the next century. It's pretty nice in comparison to most everything comparable around them.
Depending on where it is you problem could be too much house for the area. It looks nice, but nothing that amazing from the outside. From the inside I see how much was put into it. As such I would expect it to be priced much higher than those around it. That could be major problem if people don't want to spend that much on that street.

Also that pool room. Frankly I have no idea how it work in Az. Seems to be like oven in the summer. Maybe I am missing something.

3rd thing. Fix the 3rd garage door. It looks like the lower panel was hit and is dented. That will be a big turn off. Otherwise I think it is decorated fine.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I was surprised. I was prepared to see an older tired home and them wham-bam.
No amount of marketing is going to overcome a bad price. And so, your parents hold the cards to getting sold. Either they get sold or they sell the competition.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 PM

27 posts, read 123,818 times
Thank you for all of the kinds words guys... It's much appreciated and it really does make me feel like we're at least on the right track... AZ feels very scary right now in terms of selling so we need all the good vibes we can get!

Quote:
the only issue you MIGHT have, in my opinion, is the pool....a family might not like the pool in a screened room , but maybe if it bothers them the room can be rid of...and i could be wrong, just thinking about when my kids were teens and we bought a house with a pool, they would have destroyed a room.
I think it can be taken out... It was there when my parents bough the house but it's just a normal lanai so I'm pretty sure it can be removed if need be. It really is nice, though, when the bugs are out.

Quote:
The only negative I saw are the security doors/gate at the front entry. Although your parents' security doors appear to be tasteful, IMO they make a home's entry less approachable and are a red flag because they impart a suggestion of past/present criminal activity in the neighborhood.
Yeah, those freaked me out when they first moved to AZ! I moved here from Monterey, CA (as did my parents, just 10 years before me) and I'm used to open doors and windows. The security gates (which are pretty abundant all around here, actually), just looked weird to me. And it did give me the feeling of some criminal hiding around the corner. Now I'm just sort of used to them because I see them everywhere. I think it's a big city thing
I'm not sure how easy or difficult they are to get out but I will certainly look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Wow! How much!?
We're not sure yet The realtor was running some additional data, etc. and he's coming out on Friday morning to do a virtual tour and we'll do the final listing price then. Comps are between $350k and about $415k or so which is about a $125k less than it was about a year ago But they bought in 99' so they'll be ok. They had one forclosure in the neighborhood which brought prices down a good amount I guess... That house went for $275k and a realty company (flippers I'm assuming) bought it from the bank and just listed it three days ago for $444k which I think is high. It has some upgrades but I was in it before they bought it and from the pics it doesn't look like they put much of their own $$ into it... They just finished a few things that needed finishing. Anyway, I think they're being greedy with the price. But more power to them if they can get it.

Quote:
Depending on where it is your problem could be too much house for the area. It looks nice, but nothing that amazing from the outside. From the inside I see how much was put into it. As such I would expect it to be priced much higher than those around it. That could be major problem if people don't want to spend that much on that street.
Yep, I totally agree with this... However, they had originally planned on staying in this house after retiring and so the upgrades they did were for themselves, not for selling. If anything, though, I would imagine the upgrades will help sell it faster if it's priced ok. It's move in for someone and there aren't but one or two others in the zip/price range, that I would consider move in ready. Most of them need a lot. I know from my own experience that the upgrades don't necessarily get you any more $$ in a down market but they certainly move it faster if you can get people in.

Quote:
Also that pool room. Frankly I have no idea how it work in Az. Seems to be like oven in the summer. Maybe I am missing something.
It's just a screened in area... A lanai, technically is what it's called I believe. If it were glass we would all be baked

Quote:
3rd thing. Fix the 3rd garage door. It looks like the lower panel was hit and is dented. That will be a big turn off. Otherwise I think it is decorated fine.
Yeah, if only they would have listened to me on that one. Those were my exact words. I'm sure if they find a buyer it will be requested so they'll end up having to do it in the end.

Anyway, again, thanks everyone. And good luck to all of you out there trying to sell right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate