Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 12:12 PM

415 posts, read 371,126 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at rental houses and on a good few new builds I have noticed power lines running over the yard. Is this something a lot of people have seen? I was just quite surprised this is allowed. I figured due to safety reasons they wouldn't put power lines over a yard. Also if there is an issue they would have to keep coming in your yard to access them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 12:15 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Wait a minute!
You are still alive?
The EMF didn't kill you?
How is that possible?

Old 08-01-2020, 12:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Are you asking about power lines from a pole to a house, distribution poles, or the large, metal transformer poles?

I admit I'm surprised a new subdivision would not bury the lines from a transformer. As far as a transformer, it wouldn't be something I'd be interested in for aesthetic reasons, not health reasons.

Utilities typically have easements and can go on private property to access the lines and transformers.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have been looking at rental houses and...
Generally...
the distribution wires will be strung along rights of way... at the street, along a property line, etc.
the (240V 1ph) service wires TO each property are another matter. Mine are underground.

If you see something you don't like then look elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
There can be multiple types of utility wires running over the yard. It could be cable, phone or electricity. It's very common, if you pay attention, because it's expensive to bury them and sometimes difficult if there are layers of rock close to the topsoil.

I wouldn't have a problem with anything except these large transmission lines:

https://www.comed.com/SiteCollection...RenditionID=16

Old 08-01-2020, 02:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Must be a regional thing, here most construction since the late 80s early 90s has had the power lines underground. It’s great for preventing power outages especially when there’s a bad storm.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:04 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have been looking at rental houses and on a good few new builds I have noticed power lines running over the yard. Is this something a lot of people have seen? I was just quite surprised this is allowed. I figured due to safety reasons they wouldn't put power lines over a yard. Also if there is an issue they would have to keep coming in your yard to access them?
Allowed? Of course it is! Don't you imagine "illegal" powerlines would be fairly difficult to hide? Its common everywhere. Newer developments may place the lines underground but not all soil conditions make that practical. Older utilities may have existed before the house or yard was even present. As for access, if the utility has a ROW across the property, technically they don't need to ask for permission to access their equipment but they'll probably notify someone before they do the work. If you want uninterrupted stable power, it will be to your advantage to let them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-01-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Are you asking about power lines from a pole to a house, distribution poles, or the large, metal transformer poles?

I admit I'm surprised a new subdivision would not bury the lines from a transformer. As far as a transformer, it wouldn't be something I'd be interested in for aesthetic reasons, not health reasons.

Utilities typically have easements and can go on private property to access the lines and transformers.
I believe it is transformer poles. I am not from the USA and we call them something different, but they usually have poles and then about 5 or 6 lines running from one section to the next. I was just surprised because the 5 lines running across go across the yard and I would assume this would be considered dangerous.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:23 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
If your concern is giving access to utility workers, when I lived in a house with above ground Utilities, I can only recall one time they were in my yard, and that was when a wire came down during a windstorm.

For that matter....underground utilities have easements as well, but when they come onto your property they bring the backhoe and tear up your yard. The other way you just have some good looking lineman up on a pole.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:48 PM

Upon second look I think it may be a utility pole, with the 5 lines running across the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate