Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 AM

62 posts, read 58,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
As a newbie, I think I'd be looking for expertise, not the cheapest. You don't know what you don't know, especially what you don't know you need to know.
Thanks. I am a newbie so I guess I need to decide if going with another agent is worth losing out on the ~$15k. I would have to find another agent, lose out on the rebate and even the other agent I find might not necessarily be that much better(I guess I could spend time finding one who is clearly very experienced)

Does the fact that the broker is very experienced and extremely well regarded mean that he is likely to at least use some due diligence when choosing his agents i.e. even if his agent is not as experienced, he has at least vetted them somewhat to ensure they meet some reasonable standard?

Last edited by qw_phish; 08-05-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qw_phish View Post
Thanks. I am a newbie so I guess I need to decide if going with another agent is worth losing out on the ~$15k. I would have to find another agent, lose out on the rebate and even the other agent I find might not necessarily be that much better(I guess I could spend time finding out who is clearly very experienced)

Does the fact that the broker is very experienced and extremely well regarded mean that he is likely to at least use some due diligence when choosing his agents i.e. even if his agent is not as experienced, he has at least vetted them somewhat to ensure they meet some reasonable standard?
Teams typically lure clients in with the rainmaker fronting all marketing and then surprise the client with a replacement after they've been roped in. In this case, you're eyes wide open expecting that substitution and can address your concerns about it up front. I think I'd go for it considering how much money we're talking about as long as the boss man agrees to be available to me for any concerns during the deal.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:24 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Buyer rebates are legal in my state (GA), and also considered tax-free. I've bought 2 homes using the rebate option. One agent gave 2% back, but she only dealt with new construction.
The other gave 1.5% back and was full service. I was happy with both agents, though there wasn't much to do on their end with either purchase. It's nice to get that huge rebate check after closing!

Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qw_phish View Post
Thanks. I am a newbie so I guess I need to decide if going with another agent is worth losing out on the ~$15k. I would have to find another agent, lose out on the rebate and even the other agent I find might not necessarily be that much better(I guess I could spend time finding one who is clearly very experienced)

as 1insider says - the question becomes:

a. how involved is Mr CNBC?
b. meet with his buyer's agent and get his/her qualifications - years in business, # of transactions, current # of active Buyers (especially in your price range), is $900K an expensive house or moderate where you live? How does this agent assess the market you're looking in?

Just as any Seller shouldn't be so focused on "what's your commission rate?", buyers shouldn't be focused on "just how much rebate do I get?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate