Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 11:35 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It seems to me that the safest thing to do is get oneself on the HOA board as soon as possible.
It won't be hard, because no one ever wants to serve.

I put my name in to the open spot and was "elected" because I was new to the area and figured it would be a way to meet people in my neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
It seems to me that the safest thing to do is get oneself on the HOA board as soon as possible.
I stay on my HOA BOD as I do not want some other Ahole making decisions........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 01:38 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Before I would sign on into a HOA I would have the entire agreement examined by an attorney. There is a reason most lease/condo sales and HOA agreements have pages and pages of legal mumbo jumbo. They cover every possible thing to be sure they will always have the final word and your say will be meaningless.Let an attorney explain to you the many ways you could be screwed BEFORE you sign and later have an issue.
This is actually somewhat SOP when buying a condo, at least around here. Both lender and buyer's attorney frequently ask for copy of the condo docs (agreement), reserves, master policy, and other similar items. They're mainly looking for financial issues, but if you have a decent attorney they can point out other gotchas, too.

It *should* be SOP to read over those same documents yourself as a buyer.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Nope. Wouldn't want that unpaid job. My last community the president received numerous death threats against himself and his family. He stepped down because of the threats. The board and association then became a complete nightmare with people coming and going every month. Complete chaos for over a year.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:53 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
There are so many threads about the pitfalls of living in an HOA that you should find your answer.

In general, they are just another tax layer by power hungry people who have nothing to do but spy on their neighbors.

Please read the prior posts about them.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
There are so many threads about the pitfalls of living in an HOA that you should find your answer.

In general, they are just another tax layer by power hungry people who have nothing to do but spy on their neighbors.

I think there seems to be some confusion among some posters here, and it's probably worth noting there that there IS a significant distinction between condo HOAs and SFH HOAs. The former are critical and necessary to the operation of buildings, and what the OP is asking about; the latter are gated community petty wars between people whose biggest stresses are who has the nicest lawn or the most xmas lights on in December.

Condo HOAs very, very much do not care what their neighbors are doing so long as the bills are paid and they're not breaking things in the common areas.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think there seems to be some confusion among some posters here, and it's probably worth noting there that there IS a significant distinction between condo HOAs and SFH HOAs. The former are critical and necessary to the operation of buildings, and what the OP is asking about; the latter are gated community petty wars between people whose biggest stresses are who has the nicest lawn or the most xmas lights on in December.

Condo HOAs very, very much do not care what their neighbors are doing so long as the bills are paid and they're not breaking things in the common areas.
Totally not my experience as someone who was a property manager for many condo associations and as someone who has lived with both a condo and a SFH association. The condo ones had far more busybodies who knew everyone's business. They were more of a nightmare!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

They could be their own forum for sure.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Totally not my experience as someone who was a property manager for many condo associations and as someone who has lived with both a condo and a SFH association. The condo ones had far more busybodies who knew everyone's business. They were more of a nightmare!
I guess you've had some bad luck. Every HOA I've lived under was mostly made up of people who never participated or showed up to the annual meetings only. They'd go along with most decisions. The only decisions that ever came up for discussion was something that involved an assessment; nobody cared what color someone painted their walls or whether they had a welcome mat with paws or not.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
In Florida associations can choose not to fund reserves or to partially fund reserves. Also there are items that no one thought to reserve for, notably concrete restoration. I can point out several associations with fully funded reserves that got hit with massive special assessments for concrete restoration. It wasn't a concern years ago but as these oceanfront concrete structures entered their third decade it became an issue. Ever increasing insurance premiums has been an issue, too, here in coastal Florida. Rather than raise monthlies I know of an association that levies a special assessment once a year to pay the increase/difference in the premium.
What you are talking about is a 40 year old building safety inspection to make sure the structure is livable.

Of course all of those unsafe concrete balconies and railings must be replaces. That's on every condo building over 40 in Florida.

https://www.broward.org/CodeAppeals/...O-Rev.6-15.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate