Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 AM

25 posts, read 25,690 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a new construction when my lease is up in June.

Can someone walk me through the process?

Do I need a RE agent? Or can I work directly with the builder? How soon should I start looking for a builder?

Any tips or tricks I should be made aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 12:16 PM

7,261 posts, read 7,129,991 times
If you've never bought a home before I recommend a RE agent before you even start looking.

Second, are you looking to build with a personal builder or with a builder who is building multiple homes in an area? What happens with each is quite different.

Third, do you have a real understanding of your needs? Building your first home rather than buying one already built is a *very* taxing process. There are hundreds of decisions to be made and if you don't have a clear understanding of your needs then you will likely make costly mistakes. Remember, once the plans are approved any changes you make will be an overage on your budget. Lots of people go over budget because of changes.

Last, how much $$ do you have saved up? How much will you be borrowing? Have you looked into the tax consequences of new builds? Are HOAs and/or CDDs a factor where you want to live?

Old 08-22-2020, 01:03 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,597,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
If you've never bought a home before I recommend a RE agent before you even start looking.

Second, are you looking to build with a personal builder or with a builder who is building multiple homes in an area? What happens with each is quite different.

Third, do you have a real understanding of your needs? Building your first home rather than buying one already built is a *very* taxing process. There are hundreds of decisions to be made and if you don't have a clear understanding of your needs then you will likely make costly mistakes. Remember, once the plans are approved any changes you make will be an overage on your budget. Lots of people go over budget because of changes.

Last, how much $$ do you have saved up? How much will you be borrowing? Have you looked into the tax consequences of new builds? Are HOAs and/or CDDs a factor where you want to live?
Excellent points, especially the decision making process. You need to be able to visualize the finished product from the plans and specs before the project even starts, and understand the timeline and building process.

One thing I'd add is to hire an independent inspector from day one. The builder is not going to have your best interests in mind, no matter how much they sweet talk you.

If you're expecting to move in in June or July, you need to get the process started ASAP. Depending on where you're building things can slow down dramatically in winter. Building materials seem to be in short supply at the moment so that could also affect the schedule and cost.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:10 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,440,668 times
I would first find a good agent in your area. Do your due diligence here.

I agree with the previous poster in that building a house is a major undertaking. I've done it myself, done it as a subcontractor under a general contractor, and with builders.

The key is to READ and understand all of the construction documents. Know the contract inside and out. Visit the job site every day and inspect the work as it is done. If something is not right, call it out and have it fixed.

The last house I built using a builder ended with the builder telling me I was "the customer from Hell". I remarked to him that I didn't understand why, as nothing I requested or got resolved to my liking was not spelled out in the contract. I merely held him to the contract, nothing more.

This highlights a problem with spec homes or homes built by big national or regional builders. They make money on volume, and the subcontractors are often the guy with the cheapest bid for the work that week. This means that construction documents are rarely complied with and corners are cut.

For example, one house I built it was called out that the drywall be screwed and not nailed. The drywall crew showed up one morning and started hanging drywall - with nails. I found the job super and pointed out the documents where it said drywall was to be screwed. Five minutes later the crew had gone out to their trucks, swapped their gear, and were now screwing the drywall rather than nailing it. Had I not been there it would have been nailed.

If you're not actively engaged with the construction process, you'll be disappointed and have conflicts. The exception to this would be if you'r using a custom or low volume builder who has dedicated subcontractors.

RM

Old 08-23-2020, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 25,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

I never owned a home and I will take your suggestion with finding an agent. I live in Colorado and there are several builders selling pre-built to newly built homes. I'm interested in having my home custom where I can just pick out whatever I want.

I haven't thought about taxes or HOAs. I will look further into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
One thing I'd add is to hire an independent inspector from day one. The builder is not going to have your best interests in mind, no matter how much they sweet talk you.

If you're expecting to move in in June or July, you need to get the process started ASAP. Depending on where you're building things can slow down dramatically in winter. Building materials seem to be in short supply at the moment so that could also affect the schedule and cost.
Thanks for the independent inspector tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I would first find a good agent in your area. Do your due diligence here.

I agree with the previous poster in that building a house is a major undertaking. I've done it myself, done it as a subcontractor under a general contractor, and with builders.

The key is to READ and understand all of the construction documents. Know the contract inside and out. Visit the job site every day and inspect the work as it is done. If something is not right, call it out and have it fixed.

The last house I built using a builder ended with the builder telling me I was "the customer from Hell". I remarked to him that I didn't understand why, as nothing I requested or got resolved to my liking was not spelled out in the contract. I merely held him to the contract, nothing more.

This highlights a problem with spec homes or homes built by big national or regional builders. They make money on volume, and the subcontractors are often the guy with the cheapest bid for the work that week. This means that construction documents are rarely complied with and corners are cut.

For example, one house I built it was called out that the drywall be screwed and not nailed. The drywall crew showed up one morning and started hanging drywall - with nails. I found the job super and pointed out the documents where it said drywall was to be screwed. Five minutes later the crew had gone out to their trucks, swapped their gear, and were now screwing the drywall rather than nailing it. Had I not been there it would have been nailed.

If you're not actively engaged with the construction process, you'll be disappointed and have conflicts. The exception to this would be if you'r using a custom or low volume builder who has dedicated subcontractors.

RM
Thank you for your insight.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:42 PM

One other thing to consider when building a new home:

Making a substantial change or addition to the project may look expensive up front, but consider the amortized cost over the life of the mortgage. In other words, to make a $20,000 change only works out to a few bucks in every mortgage payment. It's also often something that you can't do after the fact without a major expense.

For example, when we built a spec home with a caged pool about 20 years ago, we had the builder add another three feet to the deck area on the far side of the pool. The "stock" arrangement only had a strip of deck about 18" wide. That change cost us about $4k, but it made that are far more useable and added substantially to the deck space in the pool area. The cost to do this after the fact would have easily been double, if not more.

Good luck!

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 08-23-2020 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 01:11 PM

30 posts, read 19,731 times
Factor in extra money for landscaping which can be quite expensive. I have bought new and bought used, and you get a lot more for your money buying used.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sky_5235 View Post
Factor in extra money for landscaping which can be quite expensive. I have bought new and bought used, and you get a lot more for your money buying used.
This is true, but the best part about building new is that you get things the way you want them and they're ready when you move in.

It's a tradeoff - I've done it both ways and each has its advantages and disadvantages. It's all what the buyer is looking for.

RM

Old 08-23-2020, 03:17 PM

10,414 posts, read 6,996,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy1 View Post
I never owned a home and I will take your suggestion with finding an agent. I live in Colorado and there are several builders selling pre-built to newly built homes. I'm interested in having my home custom where I can just pick out whatever I want.

I haven't thought about taxes or HOAs. I will look further into that.

Thanks for the independent inspector tip!
Thank you for your insight.
OP~

Since you don't know, what you don't know, now is the time to get educated on all the things that can happen in a Real Estate transaction. Including, the fine art of negotiations.

You're time frame is 9 months away, this is 1 factor that's on your side.

Are we to understand you want to build a custom home? If so, you'll need property and an architect, to start.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:21 PM

14,289 posts, read 14,853,794 times
My last two home purchases were new builds in small (less then 200) homes developments. I could choose from 6 or so models and a ton of upgrades. Some advice:

1. You do not need a buyers agent but if this is your first rodeo, than one is recommended.

2. Buy in during the last phase so all promised amenities are in place and they will not be building "cheaper" homes in later phases.

3. Hire a home inspector to do walk throughs with you. Not a formal inspection but walk throughs and pay for each walk through. If not an inspector, then someone in the building trades. Many real estate agents do not know the difference between a roofing and a flooring nail so do not depend on them.

4. Become friendly with the onsite construction manager. Make him a friend. He will appreciates "gifts".

5. If an HOA, get a copy of the Covenants (Deed Restrictions), Bylaws, and Rules and Regulations. Become familiar with them and decide if you can live under them. If not, move on down the road.

6. Get an HOA Financial Statement. Be sure the budget can cover everything plus Reserve money. You do not want to get hit with a dues increase nor a Special Assessment later on.

7. Builders have very little wiggle room on the base price but they can and will wheel and deal on options. Get the options you want from the get go. Do not say well I can do that later. You will not.

8 If new construction, understand it happens in spurts. You may go weeks without seeing progress then bang, things are done.

I prefer new constructions as I want things the way I want them, when I want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate