Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:24 AM

13,635 posts, read 12,266,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What's a DINK? I assume the last two letters are no kids?
Double Income, No Kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not really weird. Those are very likely to be two en suite bedrooms plus a guest bathroom so your dinner guests don't walk through your bedroom to use your toilet, while helping themselves to a quick inspection of your medicine cabinet.
It's a slightly odd arrangement. Typically bathroom 3 would be a powder room (1/2 bath); most commonly in a 2 bed home you'd have the second bathroom not en-suite. Otherwise a basement with a full bathroom isn't at all uncommon, and the basement can't often be advertised as a bedroom depending on local codes, egress/ingress, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 12:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,389,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not really weird. Those are very likely to be two en suite bedrooms plus a guest bathroom so your dinner guests don't walk through your bedroom to use your toilet, while helping themselves to a quick inspection of your medicine cabinet.
I feel like I'm being viewed as if I have multiple heads. The bolded seems to be your justification for the third bathroom, with BD 2 being assumed as the second en suite. I would think the separate hall bath would be planned before an en suite would be considered for the second bedroom.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:48 PM

10,142 posts, read 6,585,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
When did you buy it?
Do you still live there?
In retrospect, are you happy with the decision?

What is the logic behind this?
Why are people placing such a massive premium on a 2nd full bathroom?

So, if you had kids, you would put them in a bunk bed before dealing with 1 bathroom.

I assume people don't want 1 bath since others will need to smell your stunk up poo scent.
Understandable.

But, posters have also said that 1.5 bath is just as bad a 1 bath. So, it's not about hiding your poo smell from others.

Is this due to timing of showers? 4 people need consecutive showers which can lead to morning scheduling conflicts.
I deal with "half way" houses on occasion. A typical example: 12 women in a 3bd1ba 1500' house. Think about that for a moment. 12 women, sharing 1 single bathroom. A lotta drama happens there. 4 women per bedroom. (They use bunk beds.)
The same company operates another house 2 blocks away. This one has 13 women in a 3bd2ba house. A lot less stress here. The County of San Diego inspects both facilities, and gives it a green light.

I'm just surprised the City of Oceanside allows this, as it's not the typical home use for utilities...

Old 08-25-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I feel like I'm being viewed as if I have multiple heads. The bolded seems to be your justification for the third bathroom, with BD 2 being assumed as the second en suite. I would think the separate hall bath would be planned before an en suite would be considered for the second bedroom.
I would agree with you. But unless the house is pretty new, there's a really good chance that someone at some point added on or whatever. Maybe the owner had an elderly/frail parent, etc...but I do think it's odd in a 2 bed house.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I would agree with you. But unless the house is pretty new, there's a really good chance that someone at some point added on or whatever. Maybe the owner had an elderly/frail parent, etc...but I do think it's odd in a 2 bed house.
It is new construction, and I think this is a very recent trend. That is looking like the answer.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It is new construction, and I think this is a very recent trend. That is looking like the answer.
What's the layout/setup of the property? My wife lived in a townhome with this setup. Each bedroom had an en suite, and a powder room downstairs. Some places are more setup for renters/roommates by design than they are for families.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM

581 posts, read 1,297,066 times
Quote:
A second bathroom will be used every day. Even if you're a DINK, it's nice not to have to share the bathroom with overnight guests, it's nice if you and your spouse are both getting ready for work or a night out, if you have one kid, it's nice to to have to share the same bathroom with them all the time, etc.
I had no idea people actually think like this. I grew up in a house with 1.5 BA. We rarely even used that downstairs bathroom. 1 main bathroom for a family seems totally normal to me.

It also did not occur to me that almost half of America is loaded up on meds, and may want to hide that. I think I took an Aspirin once in the 1990s.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,751,762 times
Quote:
I had no idea people actually think like this. I grew up in a house with 1.5 BA. We rarely even used that downstairs bathroom. 1 main bathroom for a family seems totally normal to me.
I can't possibly imagine sharing a bathroom at all, let alone with more than one person. Anything less than 2BD+Den/2.5BA/2 story/2,000sqft would be a nonstarter for me. Single household but I want to at least have the option of generating some pocket change with the spare bedroom/bath, and I like my space/privacy.

FWIW I actually keep meds in a drawer in the kitchen so guests wouldn't be able to see what meds I take anyway.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Really? That seems odd...Was it a split level? I'm thinking of either single story or traditional two stories. A relative that took care of me quite a bit had a 2/1.5, the half being on the main floor, full bath upstairs. The 1/2 bath was used quite a bit, as that was where the living room and kitchen/dining room were. My parents 1/2 bath downstairs is used quite a bit as well; no one is going to go upstairs from the family room or kitchen just to use the toilet.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What's the layout/setup of the property? My wife lived in a townhome with this setup. Each bedroom had an en suite, and a powder room downstairs. Some places are more setup for renters/roommates by design than they are for families.
https://www.zillow.com/community/del...80629238_zpid/

Upon further examination, it appears to be a half bath, with two en suites. Not sure if Zillow acknowledges half baths as 0.5 or just counts as 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate