Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 01:52 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,653,413 times

Advertisements

What's are some of the things people do to cover up an issue or what they think is an issue,. Personally when I see new work I immediately think what's going on around this area. Especially if most of the surrounding area has older but usable stuff. Some say that's why people should avoid throw rugs because people wonder what's going on underneath. Other's say fresh paint in a basement in particular means a leak cover up. But inspectors tend to find those issues anyway. That's why I'm not afraid of selling an empty house. Sometimes furniture seams placed in a odd spot. Should I see what's behind it-a crack no big deal in an older home but some become paranoid or nervous about little things or some border on anything goes. Would a freshly painted floor joist or beam in basement mean termite cover up. Or a locked room.

This goes back to home inspections. I know alot of people resent them but they're part of the real estate industry like or not so wouldn't buyer and seller be better off accepting the fact the certain issues will have to be dealt with. Some immediately some down the road. But 'the show' part of selling a house is really becoming annoying.

Also couldn't blatant attempts to cover up an issue be considered worse that cheap amateur repairs. I would have to wonder about something I saw used to cover up a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 02:48 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
In most places, sellers need to complete a disclosure form. In it they need to state whether there are known issues such as water intrusion (leaks). mold, termites, etc. past or present.

If they lie on that, and a buyer can prove it, then there are grounds for a lawsuit.

It may not address a stain on a wood floor that was hidden by a rug, but that is really just a cosmetic issue. It doesn't affect the structure or pose any health risks.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:52 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
The biggest “cover ups” I usually run into are probably as much out of laziness or cost cutting as anything. Stuff like not fully replacing rotten trim when the exterior of the house is painted over.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
In most places, sellers need to complete a disclosure form. In it they need to state whether there are known issues such as water intrusion (leaks). mold, termites, etc. past or present.

If they lie on that, and a buyer can prove it, then there are grounds for a lawsuit.

It may not address a stain on a wood floor that was hidden by a rug, but that is really just a cosmetic issue. It doesn't affect the structure or pose any health risks.
I think many buyers forget about that pesky dislosure form they signed because to them it's administrative bs but it is there to help protect the buyer. So do some realtors actually advocating and telling people to cover things up. What some don't realize is sometimes I think it's cheaper to discount the price of the house because the discount is set/a solid number. You get a contractor out there to actually fix the problem the job could expand very easily -oh you need this or that , code says this etc so a discount and do nothing is actually cheaper but people want 'their' number like a winning lottery ticket.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:26 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
None of that would bother me, a lot of people do the "deferred maintenance" thing. Now a locked room? No, I'm not even bidding on that house. My sister went to look at a house for us here, when we were moving from NY to NC. When she went to step out on the deck, the homeowner said, oh don't go out that way...let's go out the front door and around the side so you can see how nice the yard it. It was raining....my sister was like WTF. Typical FSBO-er.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:37 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I think many buyers forget about that pesky dislosure form they signed because to them it's administrative bs but it is there to help protect the buyer.
Sellers are the ones who fill out that "pesky dislosure (sic) form", not buyers.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:03 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
What's are some of the things people do to cover up an issue or what they think is an issue,. Personally when I see new work I immediately think what's going on around this area. Especially if most of the surrounding area has older but usable stuff. Some say that's why people should avoid throw rugs because people wonder what's going on underneath. Other's say fresh paint in a basement in particular means a leak cover up. But inspectors tend to find those issues anyway. That's why I'm not afraid of selling an empty house. Sometimes furniture seams placed in a odd spot. Should I see what's behind it-a crack no big deal in an older home but some become paranoid or nervous about little things or some border on anything goes. Would a freshly painted floor joist or beam in basement mean termite cover up. Or a locked room.

This goes back to home inspections. I know alot of people resent them but they're part of the real estate industry like or not so wouldn't buyer and seller be better off accepting the fact the certain issues will have to be dealt with. Some immediately some down the road. But 'the show' part of selling a house is really becoming annoying.

Also couldn't blatant attempts to cover up an issue be considered worse that cheap amateur repairs. I would have to wonder about something I saw used to cover up a problem.
A locked room would be a red flag. They could be hiding their skeletons in the closet. Even literally.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sellers are the ones who fill out that "pesky dislosure (sic) form", not buyers.
eeek, my bad

Old 08-26-2020, 10:04 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,392 times
We're tearing up all of the baseboards in our house right now and we've found 3 spots where the drywall behind was totally missing. Maybe a total of 36 inches? Did they run out of drywall?? SMH, I swear, some of the crap we've found in this house is just baffling. My husband found a TON of wire up in the attic space. Just spools and spools and loose wire. For what, we have no idea, as the wires were all types.

We're very prideful people so when we go to sell this house eventually, we're going to make sure that it's in great condition. It's taken 5 years for us to bring it up to date and I am so TIRED of renovations, ugh.

Anyway. While house hunting we saw rotted flooring covered up with rugs, leaks under sinks, windows that wouldn't open, fireplaces that didn't work and some other stuff that just made us roll our eyes. It amazes us what people will try to cover up when selling a house.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:52 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Take a 2'x3' of half inch thick plywood, cover the hole in front of the toilet and then put 1'x1' tile over that to try and flatten the floor? Like that's going to work? Tile over the rest of the rot? We bought the house anyway and tore out the whole floor in the bath and replaced a few floor joists. It's solid now.

Different house had a 4'x4' post scabbed together with 1"x3" 'bandaids' on two sides. That one wasn't trying to hide, though.

Some of the issues are just from ignorant repairs, some of them are trying to hide damage, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate