Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:20 AM

9,707 posts, read 4,541,814 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't throw out that receipt/warranty just keep a copy hand for when the issue comes up. If it's that recent I'd at least verbally mention it. A lot of realtors will lie or omit on purpose for the sale but you will be liable if the buyer can proove deceit or fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 11:23 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,705,181 times
As a prospective buyer, I'd rather have a complete list of everything/anything disclosed (and repaired,) than a "It's been perfect no problems at all" report. That I would find "dubious."

One list has credibility, one list is lying by omission. I'd rather know what to look for in the future. Hiding stuff isn't ethical.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:45 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,246,169 times
Golden Rule - Treat others as you want to be treated.

I would disclose both items with the same detail you have put here, except maybe adding dates and receipts of work that was done.
Better to disclose openly now, than to disclose it during a discovery period of a lawsuit.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM

21,843 posts, read 9,398,831 times
I just sold a vacation home and I was concerned about the disclosure form because it was in California. But my realtor showed me how to handle it. He said disclose it, tell how you fixed it and attach the paperwork where you fixed it. So that's what we did.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:13 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,919,205 times
If you're getting your license, why not wait and sell your own house instead listing with another agent?

Old 08-25-2020, 12:26 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,235,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you're getting your license, why not wait and sell your own house instead listing with another agent?
This very well may end up happening. Havent yet learned the logistics of selling your own house as an agent. She is coming to give us an idea of whether selling now is a good idea or not. In our area the market is really hot. A friend of mine listed her house last week, got 40 inquiries, 20 showings and 8 offers in 2 days and is under contract for 25k over. But its in a slightly more desirable town so I want to determine if we should try and capitalize on the market now or wait until the spring, which was my original plan.

Also Im sort of nervous about selling my own home. Been to open houses where the owner was there and followed the people around telling them things and listening to their comments and responding, without invitation. They were not the agent and it wasnt FSBO. So Im just not sure how it works when someone calls to see the how and Im the listing agent and its my house and if they like it there is a dual agency issue if they want me to be the buyers agent though I think I would refer them to a colleague. Its confusing thats all

Old 08-25-2020, 03:27 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,494,527 times
The state disclosure forms I've filled out/read usually included questions about any known "pest infestations". They also usually have a Notes section at the end of the form where you can provide additional information. In this situation, I'm assuming the infestation isn't current, but you did have a fairly significant one in the past. I'd probably check the NO box (if appropriate) but add a note about the previous one and provide a copy of the receipt/scope of repairs.

When I sell a house I provide copies of all receipts for repairs, significant improvements, and service done on systems. If nothing else, it shows I took care of the place, gives a timeline for future scheduled maintenance, and gives the new homeowner a source to go to if they need more work in future.

One question disclosures do seem to ask is whether any claims have been made against the homeowner's insurance policy within the past few years. Did you file a claim because of the infestation? Something to consider. I bought a house that had had a pipe leak and drywall damage repaired. The seller described what the problem was and when it was repaired. Included the receipt for the work. It is left up to the buyer to decide what to do with that information.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2020 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 03:28 PM

14,225 posts, read 14,650,418 times
Never lie, never hide but also do not answer questions until asked.

Are there any known problems with your home? None exist I am aware of.

Have there ever been any problems with your home? None that were not properly fixed.

Like what problems and the fixes? Answer truthfully.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:38 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,235,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The state disclosure forms I've filled out/read usually included questions about any known "pest infestations". They also usually have a Notes section at the end of the form where you can provide additional information. In this situation, I'm assuming the infestation isn't current, but you did have a fairly significant one in the past. I'd probably check the NO box (if appropriate) but add a note about the previous one and provide a copy of the receipt for repairs.

When I sell a house I provide copies of all receipts for repairs, significant improvements, and service done on systems. If nothing else, it shows I took care of the place, gives a timeline for future scheduled maintenance, and gives the new homeowner a source to go to if they need more work in future.

One question disclosures do seem to ask is whether any claims were made against the homeowner's insurance policy within the past few years. Did you file a claim because of the infestation? Something to consider. I bought a house that had had a pipe leak and drywall damage repaired. The seller described what the problem was and when it was repaired. Included the receipt for the work.
No insurance incidents. We pay monthly for exterminator just in case and they come and fix whatever the issue is without charging anything

Old 08-25-2020, 04:28 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,494,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
No insurance incidents. We pay monthly for exterminator just in case and they come and fix whatever the issue is without charging anything
You might just provide copies of the receipts for recent repairs you've made...as signs of ongoing routine upkeep/maintenance. Often see "within 5 years" on disclosure forms. Once again, up to the potential buyers to decide what to do with that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate