Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 09:40 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That FAMILIES don't NEED more than one toilet. Or more than one Shower. They really don't.
That said... most family users will really like having extra 1/2 Baths (Toilet & Sink).

When "other than family" are sharing a place you're veering away from 'conventional'.
Well, at the very least, someone else may want to use the toilet when you're doing colonoscopy prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 11:14 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I didn’t think about it for years, two people living in a two bedroom one bath house. Then my husband brought home the Norovirus — he was sick as a dog one day, I was sick as a dog the next. At that point I decided the next house will have two bathrooms. What if we got it at the same time?

Old 08-29-2020, 06:52 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Your spouse have a son/daughter or ur mom/dad moving in with you in the future? Always good to have a contingency plan, in place.
)
Contingency plan seems to be a semi-practical reason I overlooked. Like the one with being injured with a broken leg. Or getting too old for a 2nd floor. Or like this, having a room for older parents, or even a live in caregiver.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
2BR/2BA units in Honolulu not only sell for more (a fair amount more, too) than 2BR/1BA units, but I've seen them seel more quickly (as they are more prized) than the alternative for many.
agreed. i didn't buy based just on my needs but also kept resale in mind, especially in new york city. i wanted to market my unit to as many people as possible not just single folks or couples. wanted to also get the families as well. families I knew would appreciate the second full bathroom, whereas if i had just one bathroom they would hold out for a unit that had two.

though hawaii is crazy expensive I probably could've only afforded a 1/1 (though I bought my place in nyc back in the 90s when RE was in the tanker. you could get a nice co op in northern manhattan for under 150k. you'll never buy NYC RE in the 100s ever again haha)

Old 08-30-2020, 09:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm just chiming in to say that I support this idea. If I had to walk upstairs to use the bathroom, that would be a major mark against any property that I'm viewing.
Thanks! I thought the same thing when I bought the house, but it hasn't really been that big a deal. Get up in the a.m. (bedrooms on second floor) go to bathroom, shower. Often out during the day (pre-pandemic), so used public facilities if necessary. Used bathroom again before bed to brush teeth, wash up, etc. So really, most of the time having the bathroom on the second floor was actually fairly convenient. That said, next house will DEFINITELY have at least a 1/2 bath and preferably a bed and full bath on the first floor!

Old 08-31-2020, 09:40 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Serious question, who are all these overnight guests you're having?
Since I've been married, I have not had an overnight guest ever, since no more dating and hookups.
I can easily foresee never having an overnight guest again for the rest of my life.
Excluding my parents and Brother and SIL, in the last year we've had at least five different friends/couples that have stayed in our guest bedroom. One of my friends from after college in another city, several of my wife's friends from her hometown that live either two hours away in her hometown, or other areas within a few hours of our house.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:51 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Excluding my parents and Brother and SIL, in the last year we've had at least five different friends/couples that have stayed in our guest bedroom. One of my friends from after college in another city, several of my wife's friends from her hometown that live either two hours away in her hometown, or other areas within a few hours of our house.
How old decades are your friends? You must all be retired?
Most people are busy raising kids to even leave the house for an evening, let alone a weekend away.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Most people are busy raising kids to even leave the house for an evening, let alone a weekend away.
We are millennials. Some of our friends are married with kids, some not. Sometimes their children come with them and sleep on an air mattress, sometimes the kids stay with Grandma.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
We both work full time, have 2 school-aged kids, and have guests stay over a few times a year at least.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:06 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
I was told in residential neighborhoods with single homes 2.5 baths or at least one per floor. In our area there putting toilet and sink in basically a large closet in or near kitchen. Saw one with a bath in dinning room. Nah not while I'm eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate