Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 10:20 AM

8,570 posts, read 12,387,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Thanks, but it is the father and mother would be on the title and mortgage, purchasing the home for their adult daughter. The daughter is not going to be on either.
Yes, I re-read the original post and corrected mine before I noticed your post above. Since the Dad was purchasing it for his daughter, I initially was thinking that the daughter would be on the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 AM

40,948 posts, read 49,138,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I see no issues with adding the wife to the mortgage and title.
We do this all the time in TX with just an amendment. Usually the lender wants it done.

No big deal.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:18 AM

396 posts, read 434,316 times
Thanks, everyone! Advice has put me at ease!

Old 08-25-2020, 03:30 PM

14,241 posts, read 14,708,955 times
Quote:
Hello! In contract to sell my home. Buyer is purchasing the home for his adult daughter. Inspections done, appraisal complete and now yesterday, a month after contracts have been signed, the buyer's attorney said wife will be on the mortgage and they would like to amend the contract to add her on there, as well. My lawyer seems to think this is fine, but wondering why the wife is being added so far along in the process. The guy was approved for 250k more than the purchase price of the home. Should I not see a preapproval for the wife? I don't see issue with adding her to the title, but to the mortgage? Also, should I see some sort of preapproval for the wife before I sign the amendment, or is this pretty normal and standard? Thanks!
Why would you be asking out here when your lawyer said it is fine?

Old 08-25-2020, 03:37 PM

8,570 posts, read 12,387,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why would you be asking out here when your lawyer said it is fine?
Assurance. Besides, lawyers don't know everything.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:51 PM

17,701 posts, read 29,780,972 times
Is he adding the first wife or a second one in addition to the first?

Old 08-25-2020, 05:08 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,064,731 times
Quote:
Hello! In contract to sell my home. Buyer is purchasing the home for his adult daughter. Inspections done, appraisal complete and now yesterday, a month after contracts have been signed, the buyer's attorney said wife will be on the mortgage and they would like to amend the contract to add her on there, as well. My lawyer seems to think this is fine, but wondering why the wife is being added so far along in the process. The guy was approved for 250k more than the purchase price of the home. Should I not see a preapproval for the wife? I don't see issue with adding her to the title, but to the mortgage? Also, should I see some sort of preapproval for the wife before I sign the amendment, or is this pretty normal and standard? Thanks!

At this point in the transaction, if they need to do this to make it possible to close, why wouldn't you? If There's no downside to you. If you don't, and they can't get the loan, what did you win?

The goal is to make closing happen at this point, you're almost there, you don't want to start over. If they need to jockey things around for the loan, let them do it.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:42 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,908,491 times
I was thinking what MikeJaquish said. Add in their age (retirement mentioned) and better for them in the event of death.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,263,378 times
Quote:
Thanks! No, the financing contingency has not been met, as of yet. When I asked why the father wants to add the mother now, I was told it had to do with him being retired and her not. Thinking, the father is having issues with the loan? That's all I was told.
I'm guessing that's your answer. "Pre-approved" is pretty meaningless, IMO. DH and I were "pre-approved" for something like $150K or $200K when we were looking to downsize 1 year after I retired- he was 15 years older, already retired. I'd filled out all the paperwork showing withdrawals from our investments as part of our income- despite withdrawals, our assets had increased by $100K in the year since I retired. They pretty much fixated on DH's SS and my $900/month pension and ignored income from investments (which were about 10X the cost of the house we were buying). We wanted to borrow $150K and they "let" us have $100K.

So, yes, the bank wants to add the wife on to the mortgage and the title, with her additional income stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate