Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 02:02 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times

Advertisements

I always like to support local whenever possible, but the local agency that I picked has the worst customer service that I’ve ever seen! I have left texts for the agent to sit down with me to go over the closing contract (I closed 2 years ago), but he texted to meet me on a Sunday because he was so busy. After that, crickets. I left phone messages and email to the agency principal, but she has not reply either. Their office is secured with pass card now, unlike the “walk right in” office that I first met them at. I snuck in anyway. There was nobody in the office, looks like they all bailed because of Covid. I would think that a business owner would take more pride in their business? For all she knows, I could be a repeat customer, but I’m sorry that I picked her Agency.

Would I have been better off with a Keller Williams or Century 21 agent? At least, I would have recourse to appeal to the national chain.

It is frustrating because I would NEVER do this to any of my customers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 02:08 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
All agents, whether local brokerage or a national chain, are independent contractors. Where they work is less important than how good they are.

Ask around to friends and see who they recommend. Interview a couple of them and see how well you click with them, and how responsive they are when you call.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:15 PM

9,865 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Agents and company can be decieving. Like most businesses and big national companies it comes down to local management including that office and district. You'll find out quick. Some offices/cultures go out of their way to help their clients and others it's what the heck now. I noticed this when buying/selling homes and apartment shopping. Some will never get back to you.

The only thing I can say is read the listing contract, look online and see who is selling, not listing the homes in your area. Certain companies wind up getting the lion share of sales in many neighborhoods for a reason.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:22 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I started out at a National firm because they offered good training and support.

They also have high overhead and took a bigger slice of our commission. When we had learned all we could from the systems in place there, we left for a smaller brokerage, started by one of the former DBs at our first brokerage, that lets us keep more of our own money.

Most agents I know who have been in the business very long have moved around a little to find a commission and fee structure that makes them the most money and offers the amount of support they want and need. This business will always come down to the talent of the individual you're working with, more than the company name.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:21 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Why are you looking to go over a closing contract from two years ago?

Old 08-22-2020, 03:01 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Their office is secured with pass card now, unlike the “walk right in” office that I first met them at. I snuck in anyway. There was nobody in the office, looks like they all bailed because of Covid. I would think that a business owner would take more pride in their business?
Maybe they're more concerned about their health and of the well-being of their families. I don't understand why you would be upset that they're likely working remotely. And what's so important about a closing statement from two years ago?

Old 08-22-2020, 06:12 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I always like to support local whenever possible, but the local agency that I picked has the worst customer service that I’ve ever seen! I have left texts for the agent to sit down with me to go over the closing contract (I closed 2 years ago), but he texted to meet me on a Sunday because he was so busy. After that, crickets. I left phone messages and email to the agency principal, but she has not reply either. Their office is secured with pass card now, unlike the “walk right in” office that I first met them at. I snuck in anyway. There was nobody in the office, looks like they all bailed because of Covid. I would think that a business owner would take more pride in their business? For all she knows, I could be a repeat customer, but I’m sorry that I picked her Agency.

Would I have been better off with a Keller Williams or Century 21 agent? At least, I would have recourse to appeal to the national chain.

It is frustrating because I would NEVER do this to any of my customers!
Your "...recourse to appeal to the national chain..." is nearly meaningless.
Truly.

Select an agent based on your perception of skill and chemistry and experience.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:37 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I would pick a locally owned, independent company with a great reputation. Many of the national firms come with additional costs not charged by independents.

And many of these companies handle optional things like mortgage insurance and other closing costs through their own affiliated companies.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
I snuck in anyway.
Wow. Breaking and entering. And you are concerned with a call-back.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:54 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Even those national firms are "local." Each is independently owned by a local person. When I worked as an agent I worked for an office affiliated with a national firm. The two owners were long time realtors that had owned a "local" office. They decided to join a national franchise for a variety of reasons. There was not an affiliated mortgage or title company. They did lease office space to a mortgage broker and a title company. Sometimes clients used those services. Sometimes they didn't. The company owners got nothing if they did-just the office rent and making it easier for clients and agents to take care of everything in a single place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate