Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:52 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

All buyers should hire an attorney to represent their interests,
to review contracts and documents, to answer questions and to manage the closing.
RE specializing attorneys do this well and don't charge much for it.
(Everyone out west can just take another bite of that donut and stay out)
Attorney can cause problems that wouldn't exist without him. I've seen a buyer have an attorney review and draft up a bunch of changes to the builder's contract which the builder unceremoniously rejected with a "Use my contract or don't buy the unit. Your choice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 08:53 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:

to review contracts and documents, to answer questions and to manage the closing.

Guess we know who's an attorney.

I agree some people need their hands held, but a contract to buy real estate, from a builder, is a boilerplate contract, largely standardized by state law, and I believe anything in there can be understood by a reasonably attentive eighth grader.

Quote:
But EVERYONE involved needs to know who the buyers' top dog for advice/approval is.
Most critically though the buyer needs to ...and to express that from the outset.
The buyer's "top dog" as you say it, needs to be the BUYER. That's who's bringing all the money to the transaction. That's who needs to be making the decisions. If a buyer is not competent to make their own decisions in this matter, they need to stay away from buying houses.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:56 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Lawyers are part of the normal process in some states, and would be an unusual and unnecessary addition in others. Lawyers are not typically used in normal transactions in Washington. Here, agents/brokers write up standard contracts, and title companies do title and escrow. No attorneys, normally.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:40 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Attorney can cause problems that wouldn't exist without him.
And some dentists cause cavities too eh?

No one needs an attorney until there's a problem.
Such problems seem to happen a whole lot more in places where the attorney isn't in the picture from the outset.
YMMV

Old 08-28-2020, 09:54 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Perhaps so. But mostly they just need to recognize their separate roles in the transaction.
And the varying competencies and preferred division of labor/fees they assume exist.

But how can the buyer answer questions like this before they crop up on them?
The short answer is that they can't be expected to. Even if they have bought before.
So... what should they do?

RE specializing attorneys do this well and don't charge much for it.
(Everyone out west can just take another bite of that donut and stay out)

But EVERYONE involved needs to know who the buyers' top dog for advice/approval is.
Most critically though the buyer needs to ...and to express that from the outset.
I routinely represent attorneys in real estate transactions.
I represent real estate attorney's family members in real estate transactions.

Attorneys tell me they trust me.
Real Estate Attorneys tell me that I know the contracts and general market practices better than they do.
Clients' attorneys tell their clients I know what I am doing.

I can get a buyer (or a seller) under contract in a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday. (And, they close the transaction, and call me for their next move.)
Attorneys tend to reply next business day, which is too late when the seller says they will review multiple offers and make a decision at 4:00 on Saturday or Sunday.

A major benefit of standard forms and standard contract forms is the willingness of Bar Associations to cede some authority to trained real estate agents to negotiate and properly complete those forms, to simplify the proceedings, after the Bar Association has weighed in on the structure of the forms.

I would never tell a client or customer not to engage an attorney, but many billions of dollars' value of residential real estate smoothly and successfully close in NC annually with minimal hands-on contract review by attorneys.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:19 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
One of the smartest things a realtor did for me as a first time buyer, was to give me a blank contract to take home and read at my leisure, long before we were ready to write one up. Made the process less intimidating.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One of the smartest things a realtor did for me as a first time buyer, was to give me a blank contract to take home and read at my leisure, long before we were ready to write one up. Made the process less intimidating.
Of course!
And, it is right in our agency agreements that you acknowledge receipt of SAMPLE forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate