Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
So . . . maybe doing a darker stain might just look like oak cabinets trying to pretend to be cherry.

That's exactly what I was saying. If you go to your nearest hardware store look at all the different colors of stain. Heck you could even stain it BLUE if you wanted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 PM

222 posts, read 877,803 times
The house we sold last year had painted cabinets (crisp Khaki) and it was not an issue. We were in a mid to low price point. It would not have been a good idea if we were in a higher price range. Do what you like now and worry about it in 8-9 years.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
When we bought our current house, it had painted outdated cabinets, so we replaced them. Our neighbor did the same. That was our preferences. If the house had new cabinets when we were looking, and they did not agree with our tastes, we may not have purchased the house.
That being said, you should do is what 'pleases' you today, not 8-9 years down the line. Let the next buyer decide what they want at that time. Maybe they'll love your painted cabinets.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
LK, you should do some research about what you'd have to do to paint them. I read different things, some say it is a lot of work while others say it isn't. Depending on how the cabinets are now, say do they have a lot of clear coat on them? You would have to get that off 1st because the paint won't stick long and you will start to get peeling.

If it was me, I wouldn't touch them. We have honey maple cabinets that look great in person. I'm sure someone will eventually rip them out but the quality is a lot better then builder grade.

If you really hate the cabinets, do what makes you happy for now, but know that when it comes time to sell, you are either looking at a repaint or ripping them out.

Do you have a picture?

btw, if you want to DM me, I can give you the URL for the decorating forum I go to where this has been discussed many times.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
I made a big mistake I guess. I had my cabinets prof. done white. Some long cabinets I added glass. I thought they were beautiful . Kitchen trim and shutters are white. Appliances top of the line SS and granite counters. House appraised over a mil. On the market now and we have had several comments on the painted cabinets. All negative.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
I think what will come in is the price point of your home. Another thing that will come in to play is the type of community you are in. If it is a cookie-cutter neighborhood, with many homes of about 5 differing floor plans, than your home will stand out - again, depending on the price point, that could be good or bad depending on the buyer's point of view.

Case-in-point, I listed a home in the fall and had a contract in 22 days, with only one price drop. I told my clients to hold off on re-painting the cabinets until we started receiving feedback from other agents. The feedback really was not against the cabinets; I think one I got was "interesting". Anyway, I'll try to attach a photo so you can see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Does painting kitchen cabinets hurt resale?-kitchen.jpg  

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I made a big mistake I guess. I had my cabinets prof. done white. Some long cabinets I added glass. I thought they were beautiful . Kitchen trim and shutters are white. Appliances top of the line SS and granite counters. House appraised over a mil. On the market now and we have had several comments on the painted cabinets. All negative.
I think most people looking at houses in the over million dollar range are expecting to see solid wood cabinetry that is stained.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
I think what will come in is the price point of your home. Another thing that will come in to play is the type of community you are in. If it is a cookie-cutter neighborhood, with many homes of about 5 differing floor plans, than your home will stand out - again, depending on the price point, that could be good or bad depending on the buyer's point of view.

Case-in-point, I listed a home in the fall and had a contract in 22 days, with only one price drop. I told my clients to hold off on re-painting the cabinets until we started receiving feedback from other agents. The feedback really was not against the cabinets; I think one I got was "interesting". Anyway, I'll try to attach a photo so you can see what I mean.
I'd buy that house with those cabinets..very nicely done and a nice shade of green.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
I wouldn't do paint them.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Thanks for the reply. No, its not a cookie cutter sub division. We are in an affluent community, no sub divisions at all. The white is gloss and I dont really think they look painted. They were dark wood. I have very high ceilings,wood floors, lots of big windows. My friends all called it a "happy" kitchen. I am bummed. I had no idea white would be fleeting. I remember when everyone wanted a white kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate