Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 PM

94 posts, read 227,355 times

Advertisements

I have a question re how bathrooms are classified, as to whether it is a three quarter or a full bath. If it does not have a tub, but it is a big shower, not just the little stall, does it still qualify as a full, or is it a three quarter? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
I guess you could make an argument either way, but I would consider it a 3/4 since there is no soaking capacity.

I know what you mean though....I have a friend who bought a house that was built for handicap access and had a huge walk-in shower in one bathroom that was big enough for three wheelchairs at once. The room was almost as big as a bedroom, so they called it a utility wetroom instead of a bathroom which was how it was utilized.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,009 times
I would say 3/4. If you can't take a bath in it, it's not a full bath.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
I have a question re how bathrooms are classified, as to whether it is a three quarter or a full bath. If it does not have a tub, but it is a big shower, not just the little stall, does it still qualify as a full, or is it a three quarter? Thanks.
I think it ends up being called a full bath. Why? Because most property listing sites I have seen (including my MLS & Realtor.com) give you two choices for bathrooms; full bath, and powder room (which is also called a half bath.) Given those two options, a bathroom with a shower is going to be a full bath.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I think it ends up being called a full bath. Why? Because most property listing sites I have seen (including my MLS & Realtor.com) give you two choices for bathrooms; full bath, and powder room (which is also called a half bath.) Given those two options, a bathroom with a shower is going to be a full bath.

Somewhere on the listing, it should be mentioned that this bathroom does not have a tub or there will be annoyed protential buyers. The op hasn't mentioned what bedroom(s) this bathroom would service, but if it is for the secondary bedrooms and lookers have small kids, they are going to need a tub for them and a shower won't do. They should be informed of this ahead of time. We looked at a beautiful brand new house once which had all the bathrooms listed as "full." We came to find out the secondary bedrooms had attached baths with shower stalls only which was not good for us. Had we known, we wouldn't have even looked. I would imagine a seller would not want people coming to their house uninformed only to find out it could have been avoided.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Here it would be a full bath and there is almost never a mention in the remarks about it just having a shower.

I have never had a buyer mention this as being annoying.

If we were to call a bath with a shower a 3/4 bath what do you call a bath with a tub and separate shower, a 1 1/4 bath

Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm telling you what it's like where I live...and it would be annoying.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
There is only so much room on each listing to add information.

To you it is very important but to some people it is not.

The local Board of Realtors each designs their own MLS based on input from members and what they feel is important to have.
Here it is not at the top of the list and there is a spot to put if there is a jetted bath tub or a garden tub but there is no way to lay out what is in each bath unless you put it in the remarks.
Most agents will use that space for other items of note though you will every once in a while see it put in remarks what is in each bath.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Real estate jargon calls this a 3/4 bath, but as other agents stated, I think most MLS's only allow for two entries half, or full, so out here they get classified as full.

I have had buyers irritated when the master does not have a tub, since they really want one. Unless an agent designates it in the comments, you just won't know until you get there. Or you can call the listing agent and find out.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,397 times
In my market it is a full bath, we don't have 3/4 bath as a description. I know some real estate books say it is a 3/4 bath if there is not a tub though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate