Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 06:49 PM

724 posts, read 502,861 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in , but it seemed the most fitting so I hope that I'll be forgiven for my possible transgression .

Anyways I've been wanting to purchase a big plot of rural land for some time now and since I'm now able to afford it , I'm eager to get a head start , however the following thing has been on my mind as of late .

In short I've remembered the conversation I had with a lady from some Eastern European country ( can't remember which ) a year back in which she mentioned that buying rural land in her homeland can be a very convoluted process , what with laws over there requiring you to give a window of opportunity to local residents to literally snatch up said plot of land before you , as well as restricting ownership of more than one hectares in land to people with specific agricultural training .

To top it off she also mentioned that even the sale of a plot of land not suitable for proper commercial agricultural use must go through the same bureaucratic process .

Now I've naturally done a bit of research regarding this subject as far as US laws are concerned and I haven't found any federal laws that require this sort of process , however I'm having a good bit of trouble finding any states which have these types of laws .

Furthermore I'm interested in reading if any local authorities anywhere in this country have the authority to pass this sort of ordinance , as well as the general process of how to inquire about this sort of thing as well as how frustrating the bureaucratic process is with regard to this sort of sale in the US in areas which have these sort of laws ( if any ) .

At any rate I hope I'm making sense with this post and I look forward to reading any replies .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 06:57 PM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
The only time adjoining property owners would have first refusal (absent a prior written agreement with the private owner) is if the property is a public land. Often in certain circumstances that property may be offered to adjoining owners to split between themselves, especially if the parcel is of marginal utility.

Other than that I know of no laws such as you describe in the US, although land use statutes out West can be somewhat squirrelly

Now, you may have zoning restrictions as to what uses are allowed but that's separate from simply buying it.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
, although land use statutes out West can be somewhat squirrelly
In Colorado, not somewhat.
Colorado is the only state with a Water Court.
We have idiots thinking about buying rural land here all the time.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
In Colorado, not somewhat.
Colorado is the only state with a Water Court.
We have idiots thinking about buying rural land here all the time.

Does the existence of this Water Court make buying rural land not worth the money or effort in Colorado if you're a non native ?

Old 09-09-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The only time adjoining property owners would have first refusal (absent a prior written agreement with the private owner) is if the property is a public land. Often in certain circumstances that property may be offered to adjoining owners to split between themselves, especially if the parcel is of marginal utility.

Other than that I know of no laws such as you describe in the US, although land use statutes out West can be somewhat squirrelly

Now, you may have zoning restrictions as to what uses are allowed but that's separate from simply buying it.

The way I understood that woman ( IIRC ) was if you want to buy a plot of rural land over there then you essentially have to wait for six months till your purchase gets approved by local authorities , with nearby residents having the right to ( so to speak ) snatch the land away from you from buying it for the same price , which necessitates the use of an escrow account administered by the lawyer overseeing the transaction .

In short it's a train wreck piece of legislation , that I certainly hope doesn't exist anywhere here in Uncle Sam's land .

Anyways thanks for your input !

Old 09-10-2020, 04:43 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
I'm not aware of any state or local municipality in the U.S. which essentially gives a right-of-first-refusal to local landowners. You're simply not going to find that situation in this country. There are also no qualification requirements for purchasers--any idiot can buy land here, and they oftentimes do. (I'm reminded of the fractional ownerships in land--not time shares--that used to be offered for sale on eBay. Too many suckers plopped down money on those near-worthless interests until eBay banned the advertising of those real estate "interests".)

Old 09-10-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I'm not aware of any state or local municipality in the U.S. which essentially gives a right-of-first-refusal to local landowners. You're simply not going to find that situation in this country. There are also no qualification requirements for purchasers--any idiot can buy land here, and they oftentimes do. (I'm reminded of the fractional ownerships in land--not time shares--that used to be offered for sale on eBay. Too many suckers plopped down money on those near-worthless interests until eBay banned the advertising of those real estate "interests".)

Ah so that's the legal term used to describe what I'm talking about .

Anyways thanks for your input !

Old 09-10-2020, 10:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
There is no such law in NY. Why would you think you'd see laws from Eastern Europe in the US?

Old 09-10-2020, 11:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Any location in the US where I know anything about the laws, simply requires that the person purchasing land have enough money (combination of cash and mortgage) to buy the land.

There are probably restrictions on people who are on a register of identified international terrorists buying property.

You gotta tha money, we sella you tha land.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There is no such law in NY. Why would you think you'd see laws from Eastern Europe in the US?
I mean I've come across some rather strange laws/regulations ( particularly of the state and local ) so far , which is why I'm curious .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate