Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:45 AM

20 posts, read 4,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Exactly this!

Buying and selling a house is stressful. Quite frankly it's a pain in the arse. No one enjoys it except maybe realtors, but they're getting paid to do this. OP, don't think that if this deal falls apart or your house doesn't sell that you're off the hook with the realtor. Read your contract CAREFULLY! There is usually a time limit in the contract and how long you owe them their commission if you sell or buy. In some places it's a full year!

Your bottom line is really meaningless. It sucks but it's a fact. Houses only sell for what buyers are willing to pay. You haven't sold in a year. That means your house is priced too high unless you're in a market where there's nothing selling.

Learn to stand up for yourself and say no.
We had been searching for a year with a 6-8 month break. My own house has been on the market for less than a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs1412 View Post
We had been searching for a year with a 6-8 month break. My own house has been on the market for less than a month.
Oh well then you need to have patience. In most areas, it will take more than a month to sell a house.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:21 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Gee, thanks! Maybe I came to this forum, just to ask this question!

And I never said I had been a pain in the ass. I guess expecting someone to do their job is asking too much. After subtracting brokerage percentage and other realtor percentage, my realtor has the potential to make close to $30K. Not bad for the hours put into it.
A client that "isn't a walk in the park," IS A PITA.

There's no reason to be difficult to the person that represents you. (Except a mental imbalance.)

Now, about your issue...since you finally divulged your needs, it makes sense to re-evaluate this thread.

Talking about "mobility" challenges, you probably know that the ADA may have funds to help people such as yourself. IIRC, they can fund $8000 to retrofit/modify bathrooms/kitchens or other ADA compliant projects. It may not cover the total cost of a whole house project, but it'll help.

I'm very sympathetic to people that have had recent health challenges. I've seen what situations can arise due to no ADA compliance in a home. I work with recent stroke patients, as well as other patients.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
It does sound like you need an Agent closer to your age. One that's not too busy and can at least understand your needs.

Sometimes our "Needs" are not achievable and we have to compromise.

You do understand the worst mistake you can make is to say "I need this much for my house". What you need may not reflect the actual value of the house.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
You mentioned you were in a hot market.

Can you pay cash or get a loan on this purchase without selling? No one will take a Contingency on the Sell of your house in a hot market.

It's always hard to Sell and Buy in a hot market unless you are willing to go into temporary housing.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
If you truly live in an area of being a hot market for real estate there is one unwritten rule:

If you are not getting offers on your home, you are overpriced considerably. If you want to sell, you have to lower your price down to it's market value if you want to sell it.

Rule #2: What you need in funds from the sale to buy your next home, or for other reasons, has nothing to do with what your home will sell for.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:31 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
To the OP I suggest you fire your Realtor!

Don't be surprised if you get a Thank You note.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 AM

20 posts, read 4,923 times
For entertainment last night, I went through texts and emails.

Realtor and I met last July - a mutual friend had used them. It was totally understood I wasn’t looking to buy/sell until after Christmas. We looked at two places in January before I was in an accident and now the layout of a house/exterior is more of an issue than before.

We have looked at 7 places since July. I have asked questions on 17 other listings. I’ve been to three open houses without realtor.

There was a “high possibility” in the last week of July we could get X dollars for my property - ‘probably more!’

My house was not listed until a few weeks ago. We are now below X dollars considerably.

Of the 7 places we have looked at, three we put in offers. One offer I did withdraw. The second offer didn’t want the house selling contingency. Third one did accepted selling contingency.

Two of the houses we looked at needed considerable work.

One house was inaccurate with square footage and two room measurements. I’m sure it was just a typo (sarcasm).

We have talked on the phone four times. Everything else is through text or email.

We did find a place, had an offer accepted and are coming to the end of my sell my house contingency.

So, my frustration is because realtor isn’t interested in asking a potential buyer or seller for extra time to move - which is health related. There’s a couple other things important to me, that are minimized as well. Realtor went through my house, took Measurements, ran comps, all that stuff. Pretty sure the X dollar amount mentioned previously was just to get the listing.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
You don't sound like you are ready to sell. Reading between the lines youR realtor want to close a deal because he/she had spent a lot of time and energy working with someone who may not be 100% realistic. Realtor thought that they could get you to the finish line but once again you are putting on the brakes. Sometimes clients can be nudged into a reasonable direction to get a deal done. But the minute I read that you are throwing put "stress related hospitalization" the DRAMA alarm went off. You are not ready full stop. Price or features aside this should just end.

So pull the bandaid off and walk away. You don't need to get a bunch of strangers to endorse that move. You know in your gut thats what you are wanting. You will blow this up one way or another. Just say thank you to your agent, but you are going in a different direction. And DON'T enter the market again until you are well and truly okay with selling at a price that is realistic and buying a place that won't put you in a panic attack ER visit. Sheesh. Stop rehashing emails to try and justify this. Just do it.

If you have a significant health or mobility issue why not ask on a community bulletin board about realtors who are recommended by others with the same issue? Sounds like you may need someone who is more able to meet you where you are at. There may be agents who can take your requirements more seriously or have access to properties that will be set up for you.

Last edited by emotiioo; 09-12-2020 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-12-2020, 08:09 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:

And I never said I had been a pain in the ass. I guess expecting someone to do their job is asking too much. After subtracting brokerage percentage and other realtor percentage, my realtor has the potential to make close to $30K. Not bad for the hours put into it.
Assuming that your contract has the common 6% for commissions, split between both realtors, your home is selling for around a million bucks. If decreasing the price ten grand is causing this much agita, there's something else wrong.

Quote:
There are things I MUST have and my realtor seems to be blowing these off or refusing to accommodate. I’m not comfortable disclosing here, but if one of those isn’t respected, it is probably going to be me stress related illness - and as a single, if I end up in the hospital, the whole deal will implode.
Along with it being overpriced, I suspect those mystery MUST have's are what is causing a problem selling your house.

And since you don't want to disclose them, our opinions/suggestions are hog-tied. I'm pretty sure your realtor is, too.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-12-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate