Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,988,757 times

Advertisements

Few years back i called the listing agent on a particular property. Made an appointment, viewed the house and liked it.

"Show me more like it".

Never heard from her again.

Bought the original house through a different realtor.

Just don't have time for people who can't be bothered.

Sure, good times now, but when it all collapses, what then? It pays to be an all weather broker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,087,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What's up with this?
Trying to buy property, reached out to 4 realtors so far and they wont return calls/emails.
Here's what's really, really weird...all of them responded immediately or within minutes of initial contact and were generally helpful and engaging. Then nothing. Even after repeated attempts.

Now I'm no pest, I email or leave a message, and after 2 or 3 days then I'm like wtf?
I kept conversations pro and to the point.
Nothing I said could possibly redflag me as a nutbar or pain in the ass. I just don't get it.
I know the market is bananas right now but there's no way they can be so busy that they can't return a call or email. It's bizarre and professionally unacceptable behavior.

These were all totally unaffiliated different companies, 2 were big name brand ones.
I just don't get it.
All I want to do is buy something.
They must know you from C-D!

Old 09-25-2020, 02:26 PM

10,892 posts, read 21,848,956 times
It's all good, they did you a favor so you don't end up with a dud. Call a few and leave a few messages asking to meet with them to discuss buying a home. Then interview and hire the one that is prompt and knowledgeable.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 PM

6,392 posts, read 10,186,717 times
Just an observation, Realtors tend to respond to text messages faster than any other source as they always carry their cell phones and can respond so much faster. Sometimes, it isn't convenient to answer the phone and have a conversation but responding to a text is quick and easy for most folks.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 PM

7,102 posts, read 5,926,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What's up with this?
Trying to buy property, reached out to 4 realtors so far and they wont return calls/emails.
Here's what's really, really weird...all of them responded immediately or within minutes of initial contact and were generally helpful and engaging. Then nothing. Even after repeated attempts.

Now I'm no pest, I email or leave a message, and after 2 or 3 days then I'm like wtf?
I kept conversations pro and to the point.
Nothing I said could possibly redflag me as a nutbar or pain in the ass. I just don't get it.
I know the market is bananas right now but there's no way they can be so busy that they can't return a call or email. It's bizarre and professionally unacceptable behavior.

These were all totally unaffiliated different companies, 2 were big name brand ones.
I just don't get it.
All I want to do is buy something.
In real estate, we have what's called the 80/20 rule. 80% of the business is done by 20% of the agents. This means that 80% of realtors don't do crap. They are part-timers who have a license and don't actively work at this job every day.
Search for a top producer or team, one with a proven track record, and be sure to interview the agent as they will be interviewing you.

To me, not answering the phone is unacceptable. I get that many screen calls now due to robo calls, but I pick up my business phone no matter what number is calling me.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:31 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,280,506 times
Sometimes they make backdoor deals. A dump came for sale 2 years ago. This house needed a compete gut, it was in a large lot for the area and in a very desirable and pricey area. Listing was 415k I offered 430k all cash no inspections close as fast as they wanted. It sold for 405k, did some snooping the realtor sold to a developer she has done plenty of business with. A f ily friend new the deceased owner of the home. They asked the adult son and my offer was never even presented. He would do taken it has it was for 25k more. I filed a complaint with the state board. These bastards renovated the house and sold it for 785k. I would of torn it down filed for permits sold the lot ready to build for 565k and it would of then sold for 1.1m with the new house.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:39 AM

7,102 posts, read 5,926,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Sometimes they make backdoor deals. A dump came for sale 2 years ago. This house needed a compete gut, it was in a large lot for the area and in a very desirable and pricey area. Listing was 415k I offered 430k all cash no inspections close as fast as they wanted. It sold for 405k, did some snooping the realtor sold to a developer she has done plenty of business with. A f ily friend new the deceased owner of the home. They asked the adult son and my offer was never even presented. He would do taken it has it was for 25k more. I filed a complaint with the state board. These bastards renovated the house and sold it for 785k. I would of torn it down filed for permits sold the lot ready to build for 565k and it would of then sold for 1.1m with the new house.
What was the result of your complaint just curious?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:47 AM

43,020 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What was the result of your complaint just curious?
The seller who was beat out of $25,000 would have had an even more cogent complaint.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,087,133 times
Quote:
If it was a written offer and not presented then the seller should go after the realtor for the $25K.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM

43,020 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If it was a written offer and not presented then the seller should go after the realtor for the $25K.
If it was verbalized or via email conversation and not presented, in NC and I suspect other states, the seller should go after the listing agent for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate