Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 05:04 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Look how its done in big South American cities. there are noman areas where the poor can put up their tar paper shanties and live without paying extortion in form of rent. Since nobody wants to deal with lack of lower end housing available on market here in USA, perhaps we should open up noman areas for people to build their own shanties. Beats having them nested on the sidewalks living in cardboard boxes that cops remove to landfill along with all their earthly possessions every little bit.
I have supported this as well.
Allowing them to build cheap tin shacks would help those spending almost all their money on rent.
The problem is, landlords and homeowners and house flippers would march on city hall on and put a stop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 05:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
So your niece’s landlord was an a-hole because he expected to be paid rent as agreed to in the lease? Why should her problem become his problem? If you can’t pay, you move. It sounds like her family member’s were the a-holes for not helping her pay for housing or providing it to her and instead expecting a stranger to assume the responsibility. Her landlord is not her free housing provider. Or do you believe her grocer was an a-hole for expecting her to pay for her food too? And her car loan lender should just be expected to let her keep her car without paying too....such a-holes expecting to be paid.
If landlords are not willing to work with people down on their luck then karma sometimes pays a visit.
Now that the building is empty, lets hope the bankers are just as unforgiving and take back the house from this deadbeat landlord.

What comes around goes around.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:05 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This does not directly affect me, as I am neither a renter nor a landlord, but I am wondering what everyone expects those evicted to do? Join the ranks of the homeless?

No easy answers, I think.
What did they ever do?

Old 10-05-2020, 07:07 PM

862 posts, read 439,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If landlords are not willing to work with people down on their luck then karma sometimes pays a visit.
Now that the building is empty, lets hope the bankers are just as unforgiving and take back the house from this deadbeat landlord.

What comes around goes around.
What does that have to do with calling a landlord an a-hole because they expect their rent? How much rent did you offer to pay, what was your proposed plan to pay, did you communicate with the landlord? What about his bills and responsibilities? Why not move so he can mitigate his loss? The only a-hole is the person who blows off their landlord and makes no attempt to pay. If you can’t pay for your car, you give it back. If you can’t pay your rent, you move. If you can’t pay for food do you believe it is ok to just steal it?

How about your paycheck? You agree to work and your employer agrees to pay you. How about your employer just says sorry, my circumstances are such that I’m unable to pay you at this time. I will do so when I’m caught up. It’s not karma, it is taking responsibility for yourself and your problems and not making them someone else’s problems.

My definition of an a-hole landlord is one who sues you for all the back rent you failed to pay instead of thanking you for leaving as soon as you couldn’t pay.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:30 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I have supported this as well.
Allowing them to build cheap tin shacks would help those spending almost all their money on rent.
The problem is, landlords and homeowners and house flippers would march on city hall on and put a stop to it.
My guess is when the cheap tin shacks start appearing on your street you will be marching on city hall as well.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:09 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
My guess is when the cheap tin shacks start appearing on your street you will be marching on city hall as well.
It's already happening, except the shacks are cardboard half million dollar Mcmansions but they are stuffing them in like shanties.

I don't object to shelters/shacks for the new evicted as long as it is located in its own area. We had a homeless encampment which was dedicated and given toilets and security, but that was temporary. It made people feel better that the homeless were not scattered and they were being monitored. Problem is many were drug addicts and wanted to continue bad behavior. A shack area for the unfortunate evicted (not criminals) could be set up like that, I would not mind some tax money going to something controlled, but not having these things pop up beside the road or wherever.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:00 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfp5t-g2gMc

this times 10

Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's already happening, except the shacks are cardboard half million dollar Mcmansions but they are stuffing them in like shanties.

I don't object to shelters/shacks for the new evicted as long as it is located in its own area. We had a homeless encampment which was dedicated and given toilets and security, but that was temporary. It made people feel better that the homeless were not scattered and they were being monitored. Problem is many were drug addicts and wanted to continue bad behavior. A shack area for the unfortunate evicted (not criminals) could be set up like that, I would not mind some tax money going to something controlled, but not having these things pop up beside the road or wherever.
You still have the issue of which area you're going to put the shanty town in. We don't call it "stealth camping" for nothing. I did see on area set up as you described, but it was strictly for people who were sleeping in their cars. Many people were employed, so they were off the premises much of the time.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
How about your paycheck? You agree to work and your employer agrees to pay you. How about your employer just says sorry, my circumstances are such that I’m unable to pay you at this time. I will do so when I’m caught up. It’s not karma, it is taking responsibility for yourself and your problems and not making them someone else’s problems.

Your analogy is incomplete. Further imagine that the government then said that you could not refuse to continue working for this employer. You are not legally free to quit your job (evict your tenant) and find a job that pays (tenant who pays).

Old 10-08-2020, 02:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Better yet, you also have to PAY for the employer's workplace utility bills, too, and for the property taxes on his office building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate