U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,358,249 times

Advertisements

We're currently renting in a 5 year old building that is constructed of concrete and steel. I recall once talking to a rental office employee who told me that when determining rents, one thing that is taken into account is how close the unit is to the trash room.

Our trash room has concrete walls and flooring. We have a huge trash can for recycling and a chute for trash. The door to the trash room is one that has a soft closing so no loud noises when someone leaves the room.

My pet peeve is this --- There is a sign in the trash room that tells tenants that if they have big boxes, they need to break them down and bring them to the loading dock. We respect that rule but a lot of people don't. For example, one day I went into the trash room and could barely fit because some idiot left a box that originally had a big screen TV in it. I'm also surprised at how many people not only don't break down boxes but leave the address labels on them---not a good idea!

One thing I have noticed----those who live in apartments next to the trash room (there is one apartment per floor that has that issue) don't turn over any faster than other apartments. I would think that if they found that living next to the room is a problem, they would have moved on as soon as they could.

OP---Is the building you are considering constructed of wood (In my state buildings that are 7 floors or less are allowed to be all wooden construction) or is it a concrete and steel constructed one? Buildings that are wooden construction have little in the way of soundproofing. In some, if your neighbor slams his/her door, your unit will shake.

IMO, for me, I would have less concerns about the location of a trash room if the building is steel and concrete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 02:57 PM

478 posts, read 253,191 times
What everybody else said in the negative column plus this - wouldn't your apartment be more prone to having creepy crawlies due to the proximity of the trash?

Old 09-29-2020, 03:04 PM

6,086 posts, read 2,944,147 times
I would rent an apartment next to a chute, no problem, but when it comes to actually purchasing a condo, I don't know that I would (although $30-50K cheaper is a pretty good bargain). I agree with others that noise, odors, and overall foot-traffic near your unit (especially in the age of COVID) would be some issues that would worry me, in terms of an actual purchase.

Of course, the noise may not actually be an issue, depending on the building. A new building may have less noise issues.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:52 PM

4,179 posts, read 1,566,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krats21 View Post
Hi all,

One of the condo units I’m looking to buy is next to the trash chute room (there is one for each floor, 10 units per floor and this unit would be on the 3rd floor of 6 floors).

This is a new building and I have been told that the trash room has cinder blocks and extra insulation around it.
For resale purposes, will this be an issue for most buyers? As a buyer now, it did give me pause for a bit, but it is also one of the cheapest units in the bldg (others with same layout on same floor are going for 30-50K more).

Would this be a deal breaker for most buyers? Appreciate any insight.
If it's not a big deal, why is the price so much lower, then? If it wasn't a big deal, then why would this place be that much less desirable than the other places that they have to drop the price? I assume condo/house sales are like apartment rentals-- they're not going to drop the price unless they have to, so there must be a feature (in this case the trash room) making it so people won't pay more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
One thing I have noticed----those who live in apartments next to the trash room (there is one apartment per floor that has that issue) don't turn over any faster than other apartments. I would think that if they found that living next to the room is a problem, they would have moved on as soon as they could.
Not necessarily. If those apartments are cheaper, they might be living in it precisely because it's all they can afford, without much chance to move out-- because it's doubtful there'd be much at that price point that was much nicer, if at all, so what would they be moving to?

Old 09-29-2020, 07:52 PM

26,763 posts, read 35,852,764 times
The price is lower because it is near the trash room. When you go to sell, you will get a lower price than other units because it is near the trash room.

It all balances out.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:35 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,358,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Not necessarily. If those apartments are cheaper, they might be living in it precisely because it's all they can afford, without much chance to move out-- because it's doubtful there'd be much at that price point that was much nicer, if at all, so what would they be moving to?
In my building, every apartment that is next to the trash room is a one bedroom apartment with a den. There are smaller one bedroom apartments that lack a den and have less square footage. They cost less than the ones next to the trash room.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:35 AM

3,578 posts, read 1,568,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krats21 View Post
Hi all,

One of the condo units I’m looking to buy is next to the trash chute room (there is one for each floor, 10 units per floor and this unit would be on the 3rd floor of 6 floors).

This is a new building and I have been told that the trash room has cinder blocks and extra insulation around it.
For resale purposes, will this be an issue for most buyers? As a buyer now, it did give me pause for a bit, but it is also one of the cheapest units in the bldg (others with same layout on same floor are going for 30-50K more).

Would this be a deal breaker for most buyers? Appreciate any insight.
I would never live near a trash chute. You will get odors from it and noise.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:45 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,384,665 times
I've lived next to trash chutes in 2 buildings - both were a non-issue.

* Concrete and steel construction made for little noise

* there's a door over the chute, we never had issues with odors. Fortunately no one had any exploding bags in either place.

* we were over halfway up the building so we only had the people above us to worry about, and quite frankly, folks only take their trash out one or two times a week, and it's not a task anyone lingers over. People coming home after the bars make a LOT more noise. I'd rather live next to a trash chute than the elevator.

* one had a recycling bin in it, the other you had to take that out yourself. The previous poster is spot on - you cannot believe how many lazy slobs will. not. break down their boxes, and then fill the little trash room with them. It takes less than a minute, but that's less-than-a-minute too many apparently.. However, that's an issue for everyone, not the adjacent unit.

* one was a rental, the other a condo with a rental cap - folks in the condo building were waaaay more considerate on every level.

So living next to one has obviously not dissuaded us in the past, and it was rather convenient to have it nearby. In the future, we would simply evaluate the situation and decide based on that.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 22,415,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's probably on a spring door which slams when closed. That gets old REALLLL fast. And a room will have two slams, one when people go in and one when people go out.
And when the chute gets blocked, people don’t clear the blockage, they just add to it. Then bags of trash end up on the floor and in the hall... gross.

Every place I lived that had a chute or compactor had blockage issues.

I’d pass on this unit unless I was desperate.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:42 PM

223 posts, read 152,671 times
i lived across and down a bit from a chute for years. was a non issue.

where i wouldn't want to live- the 1st floor apartment directly above the garbage room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate