U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:33 PM

15,286 posts, read 15,203,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And when the chute gets blocked, people don’t clear the blockage, they just add to it. Then bags of trash end up on the floor and in the hall... gross.

Every place I lived that had a chute or compactor had blockage issues.

I’d pass on this unit unless I was desperate.
Exactly, it gets blocked all the time and no matter how hard they try, the trash room will still have a foul odor and that could spread into the hallway and nearby units. A bargain is great but I would take a pass on this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 AM

3,218 posts, read 1,157,696 times
Bugs galore maybe even rodents

Old 04-28-2021, 07:12 AM

22,448 posts, read 10,631,247 times
I read an advertisement for a unit for sale in the building I own in that mentioned trash chute (in the context of the building having one), so figured I'd search this forum to see what came up when I looked up "trash chute."

This is an interesting questions. Like others have written, some might not care, while others may care.

In my building, my two bedroom is situated between the trash chute/electrical rooms and the elevators. This layout has been a plus for me. While my building has excellent noise insulation in general (I can't hear a peep above or below me) being in between the elevators and trash chute/electrical rooms has further insulated me from noise, in addition to making for an easy trip to the elevator (my unit is on the 15th floor). I have zero problems with pests or bugs, too.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:50 AM

10,662 posts, read 5,446,299 times
Don't forget rats mice and cockroaches.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't forget rats mice and cockroaches.
I find this would be more of a problem on the ground floor if you live next to a trash chute. And that's if your building doesn't take adequate precautions.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:08 PM

459 posts, read 220,901 times
People do clean outs, move outs, and clean out their refrigerators on the first.. Then there are the illegal airbnbs... I just moved out of a 19 story, 571 unit.. next week moving into an 86yo fixer bungalow on 3500 sf... No hoa.. My 11th home.. The view was good up there, but I am just about finished with hoa.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 5,940,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I read an advertisement for a unit for sale in the building I own in that mentioned trash chute (in the context of the building having one), so figured I'd search this forum to see what came up when I looked up "trash chute."

This is an interesting questions. Like others have written, some might not care, while others may care.

In my building, my two bedroom is situated between the trash chute/electrical rooms and the elevators. This layout has been a plus for me. While my building has excellent noise insulation in general (I can't hear a peep above or below me) being in between the elevators and trash chute/electrical rooms has further insulated me from noise, in addition to making for an easy trip to the elevator (my unit is on the 15th floor). I have zero problems with pests or bugs, too.
My condo has been for sale and is under contract now. Its next to the elevator, across from the door that leads to the pool. Its on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building with the first floor as retail. Only 12 units in our building in a city neighborhood. The retail store below is a beauty salon. Its commercial construction with 9” of concrete between floors. We hear nothing unless people are actually partying in the hallway (maybe has happened 3 times since we bought the place in 2015.)

However almost all the feedback we have gotten from viewings has been concern about possibility of smells coming up from the salon. No comments about being across from the pool hallway door or elevator. We have units next to the back stairwell, which has a section for the trash, and I haven’t noticed them lingering on the market longer than other units in our building.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
My condo has been for sale and is under contract now. Its next to the elevator, across from the door that leads to the pool. Its on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building with the first floor as retail. Only 12 units in our building in a city neighborhood. The retail store below is a beauty salon. Its commercial construction with 9” of concrete between floors. We hear nothing unless people are actually partying in the hallway (maybe has happened 3 times since we bought the place in 2015.)

However almost all the feedback we have gotten from viewings has been concern about possibility of smells coming up from the salon. No comments about being across from the pool hallway door or elevator. We have units next to the back stairwell, which has a section for the trash, and I haven’t noticed them lingering on the market longer than other units in our building.
That's interesting! I'd definitely be concerned about noise from the salon and potential trash/shady characters hanging around the building, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the pool or elevator.

There was a building that I was looking at in Hawaii before I bought that did not have a trash chute. It was a high rise, with more than 20 stories. I remembered the smell in the elevators as people had to lug their trash downstairs and said no way in hell was I buying in that building. Now, that was an older building, but apparently some newer, luxury buildings in Honolulu are foregoing trash chutes as well, ostensibly to follow the trend of other luxury builds in Canada and the UK that don't have them

Here is the article: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...sh-chutes.html

Quote:
The 36-story, 171-unit condo going up on a former parking lot across from the Ward Consolidated Theatres is one of the first high-rises in Honolulu to skip this common feature.

The developer’s other luxury condo, Anaha, being built diagonally across from Waiea on a former Pier 1 Imports site, has trash chutes.

Race Randle, vice president of development for The Howard Hughes Corp., told PBN in an email that Waiea has been designed with trash and recycling rooms on each floor, in lieu of trash chutes.

“This is based on common practice in luxury high-rise developments in cities such as Vancouver and London where trash and recyclables are conveniently collected by staff,” he said. “This proven method, which is being applied to Waiea, offers an added level of service to residents, ensuring effective service and encouraging recycling as part of our LEED Platinum neighborhood.”

When asked by PBN whether other planned condos in Ward Village would have trash chutes, the developer would not specify if any other projects would follow Waiea’s trash and recycling room design, only to say that this method may be applied to future buildings at Ward Village.

In its condo public report released in November, The Howard Hughes Corp. said that there would be no trash chutes in Waiea.
Sounds more like developers trying to cut costs I would hate to live next to one of these "trash rooms," where smells will build up in between staff emptying the bins (open the door to the trash room and get a whiff of the mess . . . and lord forbid if we are in hurricane season and the room can't be emptied for a few days at least, which doesn't make for a very luxurious experience).

Old 04-29-2021, 09:15 AM

32 posts, read 9,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't doubt that in certain buildings it is not much of an issue, but when people are looking to purchase this unit, how many of them will be concern and not even consider a unit next to a trash chute unless there is a significant discount? That would be a concern no matter whether the odor is an issue or not. If you look to buy such unit and you don't smell the odor while you were there, how confident that the odor won't be an issue once you move into the unit 24-7?

Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforever12 View Post
I don't doubt that in certain buildings it is not much of an issue, but when people are looking to purchase this unit, how many of them will be concern and not even consider a unit next to a trash chute unless there is a significant discount? That would be a concern no matter whether the odor is an issue or not. If you look to buy such unit and you don't smell the odor while you were there, how confident that the odor won't be an issue once you move into the unit 24-7?
Definitely fair points as far as I'm concerned. I am glad that it isn't an issue where I live as that would be a mess. But it was something that I looked into when I was initially viewing the unit and it is something that I would inquire about if looking into another place.

I will add that, at least using my building as an example, the apartments that are adjacent to the trash rooms (and they are adjacent, but they are still a good 10-15 feet away down the hall from my door) have sold and continue to sell well. They certainly aren't selling at a discount. I wouldn't think that this would be a problem for luxury buildings in general, but that's just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate