Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 139,563 times

Advertisements

So finally closing happened and I was able to get into my home. However, Seller took some fixtures (decorative shelves) with them, leaving holes in the walls, some of which were plugged and painted but are clearly visible.

I did not get the physical key for the main door smart lock but do have the code so I can enter the home. They did not leave me the owners manuals/warranty documents of the appliances - Refrigerator/Over/Microwave. The home is pretty new so these appliances would still be under warranty for sure. What options do I have to sort these out ? Unfortunately, we could not address all these issues at the time of final walkthrough as seller still had all their stuff lying around. My agent is trying to reach out to seller's agent but not getting any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 02:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Next step would be to have your attorney reach out. However, you should be changing all the locks ASAP anyway.

All the manuals and warranty info can be found online pretty easily with the model numbers and serial numbers. I wouldn't sweat that tuff. Personally, I'd rather have a pdf copy of the manuals than a paper copy.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:38 PM

404 posts, read 766,056 times
As JonahWicky mentions, I wouldn't worry about the owner's manuals or warranty info - it can be handled on your own later (though you can certainly ask for it). And changing the locks is always a good idea.

On the smart lock - you should assume they still have a key even if they give you one, so you would want to have it re-keyed at a minimum. Importantly with smart locks - there may be a "master programming code" or something similar. With Schlage locks, it is/was on a sticker on the lower back of the manual. If that was not left with you, anyone with the master programming code can add/remove codes at will. If you're the paranoid or risk-averse type, you may simply want to get a new smart lock to avoid potential issues (and then you wouldn't need to worry about re-keying it either).

Regarding the shelves and damage - I'm not a realtor, but if they were attached to the wall, I would have expected them to remain with the house and I'd be asking for some money to get the wall properly repaired/painted or to have the shelves reinstalled (assuming it's a big deal to you - if not, let it slide).

Good luck - enjoy your new home!

Old 09-25-2020, 02:52 PM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
Baloney. I am a 30 year licensed real estate broker. Many times the file cabinet or drawer that houses all these booklets gets packed by movers and is not removed prior to closing, Many sellers are clueless. Just write them a very pleasant note, email, text and request they send you these when they get unpacked. If they moved to another home in the same town. Offer to pick them up. Agetns are pretty much useless after closing.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 PM

46 posts, read 139,563 times
Thanks @JonahWicky @like-2-hike and @LynnKrause1 for your suggestions.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinindy View Post
So finally closing happened and I was able to get into my home. However, Seller took some fixtures (decorative shelves) with them, leaving holes in the walls, some of which were plugged and painted but are clearly visible.

I did not get the physical key for the main door smart lock but do have the code so I can enter the home. They did not leave me the owners manuals/warranty documents of the appliances - Refrigerator/Over/Microwave. The home is pretty new so these appliances would still be under warranty for sure. What options do I have to sort these out ? Unfortunately, we could not address all these issues at the time of final walkthrough as seller still had all their stuff lying around. My agent is trying to reach out to seller's agent but not getting any response.
Personally I would change the smart lock to my own, I wouldn’t want anyone to have the master code. As others have said it’s easy to download the manuals, you just need model number and search in web, if the shelves were important I would fuss if not I would fix it myself. I am really handy so I prefer to do my own repairs.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:32 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
The shelves are gone.... the manuals, you can ask about, and they might send them, but they're probably gone too.

The lock - should be changed ~anyway~. We recommend always changing keys and locks. You just never know who has a key.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinindy View Post

Were the shelves yours in writing? If it's not in the contract, it didn't exist. Shelves are not typically fixtures, I would have put them in the contract if you had expressed interest in them.

You can get manuals for the appliances online. Just get the serial number and brand and download the pdfs.

The key, I would pursue, if they can't produce it, I would ask the sellers to pay to have the locks changed.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:13 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Were the shelves yours in writing? If it's not in the contract, it didn't exist. Shelves are not typically fixtures, I would have put them in the contract if you had expressed interest in them.
IMHO, since the shelves were physically attached to the wall in one fashion or another they would be considered as fixtures, unless it was specified otherwise in the contract. The seller would have needed to specify so in the listing/contract before closing.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:15 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
IMHO, since the shelves were physically attached to the wall in one fashion or another they would be considered as fixtures, unless it was specified otherwise in the contract. The seller would have needed to specify so in the listing/contract before closing.
Decorative shelves are decorations, not fixtures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate