Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 03:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

[quote=albert648;59372296]I've seen far more poor workmanship hidden behind busy interior details like trim and mouldings and other things that "give a space character" (read: every McMansion out there) than behind a minimalist design. It's nigh impossible to hide crappy workmanship behind....well....nothing. Open concept spaces with fewer walls to support the structure above them require more engineering, not less.

And TBH some things shouldn't last forever. If your tastes change every 10 years or so, you're better off buying finishes with a service life of about that or maybe a bit longer so you can change them out more often. I really don't like keeping things beyond their shelf lives - I buy furniture and plan on a life expectancy of 5 years. I also don't buy $4k sofas. There's a point of diminishing returns in durability and quality and it's not worth paying the absurd premiums that "quality" commands.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...most of my furniture is antiques now on their fourth or five generation of my family, and they are still quite functional and are holding up just fine after 100-150 years. Upholstery has been changed on occasion, but that's about it as far as maintenance. They are far better made than the plywood and particle board characterless stuff passing for modern furniture nowadays, and I like the workmanship they demonstrate, along with their history.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 10-10-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 04:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
After years of dusting, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, polishing, cleaning nooks and crannies...I like it!

Old 10-10-2020, 07:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
I like the kitchen wall with the porcelain and the oversized stove. The shade they chose for the floors is too IKEA laminate for me. I bet it was really expensive too so it’s a shame that’s what they picked. The staging makes it feel unfinished somehow.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:57 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Interesting...most of my furniture is antiques now on their fourth or five generation of my family, and they are still quite functional and are holding up just fine after 100-150 years. Upholstery has been changed on occasion, but that's about it as far as maintenance. They are far better made than the plywood and particle board characterless stuff passing for modern furniture nowadays, and I like the workmanship they demonstrate, along with their history.
And...how much effort and $$$ does it require to furnish, say, a 3-bedroom house entirely with antique pieces or custom furniture designed for a 100+ year shelf life and have them all fit into a cohesive, unified aesthetic, if acquiring the pieces on the open market, assuming that's even possible? TBH not everyone's looking for "character", whatever that means, and some people like the modern, clean, uncluttered look. Antiques aren't "better" just because they last longer. I like to have my interiors updated every few years and sinking thousands of dollars into buying pieces that last forever isn't conducive to that - in other words antiques suck for people like myself.

The overly ornate so called "traditional stuff" looks overly stuffy to me and it always feels like the piece is trying too hard to look "expensive". Also history belongs in museums, not my living room.

Last edited by albert648; 10-10-2020 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 08:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
... where everything is just white, flat, no base or crown moulding

seems super cheap to build, allowing for higher profit margin?

They wanna sell this for $3m in a $1m neighborhood.

The amount of recessed lighting is on the border of being too much.
There must not be a lot of natural light being let in.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:47 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The amount of recessed lighting is on the border of being too much.
There must not be a lot of natural light being let in.
Too true. Is this an interior condo? Doesn't look like a free standing house since I don't see a single window. Of course windows cost money- ha ha

Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Two thing I don't like:

(1) Kitchen is wide open to the rest of the living space

(2) Too many recessed lights

Otherwise it is not that bad.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,110 times
It’s nice, however, demand/location will dicate price. Too many can lights, a lighted tray ceiling much nicer, imo.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Well, there are two issues here....
-- The style of the fixtures/cabinetry and bones of the rooms, which can't be removed....and...
-- The style of the decor/furniture.

Those particular bar chairs and that particular blue sofa aren't doing anything to "warm up" the space.

The white "black canvas" of the rooms could be made to look very warm -- if the rooms were decorated completely different.

I'd buy the place, move right in and not change a thing. Because I know I can decorate it to be perfectly for me. And I can't say whether the workmanship looks cheap or not unless I see it close up and in person.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
absolutely don't like.

- sterile
- no trim - base, crown, etc.
- all white (yuck)
- boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate