Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM

925 posts, read 4,707,705 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved in my home few months ago (5-6) months. I just found out that a habitat for humanity is being build near my house. It is being build right at the corner.

I asked the neighbors and they told me that they tried to stop it but no use. Now the house value will go down and the crime rate will go up.

Has anyone has experience with habitat for humanity houses built near their houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
As long as the family desires to be in that home - and takes care of it - you shouldn't have any issues. One of the requirements is that the family puts in so many hours of their own toward the building process. Usually families who do this - want a home and care for a home. I know of a woman who recently applied for a job in a different state - job had an incredible salary and when they asked about her current cost of living - her house note was so low - that her cost of living would go up in the new state (she took the job btw). Her home was a habitat for humanity house and she worked herself through college for a doctorate degree while living there to better her life for herself and her daughters. A true story of someone who appreciated their good fortune and availed herself of an opportunity to better herself. Probably doesn't happen always - but it does happen.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,700 times
Wouldn't it just be one home? I'm assuming they vet the family applicants pretty well. It shouldn't affect your home value.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
my business partner and i are in our 4th year of working with habitat builds here in st. louis...... we are certified energy raters and last year, the st. louis chapter built 27 homes to LEED PLATINUM certifications...... these houses are far better built and more energy efficient than most of what you see for "regular" homeowners.....

the families who qualify for the houses are put through a rigorous screening process, and then, once approved, are required to put in a given number of hours work (sweat equity) ..... on their own house and on other's houses as well....... they are then able to acquire their new home for about "cost" for construction. They attend classes on money management and budgeting...... and must demonstrate ability to pay their mortgage..... sort of like you and me, yes??

the people who make it through all of these hurdles are NOT receiving hand outs..... they are people who are making an honest effort to make better lives for themselves and their families..... and habitat is there to offer them a hand..... not a handout..... some may have been born into poverty, some may have landed there through circumstance..... point being, they have a vested interest in the house and are not likely to be what you are fearing....... i suggest you check out habitat's website for more details on criteria......

Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,974 times
I worked on a habitat home is Homestead Florida years ago. Hurricaine Hugo, Ike or Andrew... one of those hit the area and the only houses left standing in the neighborhood were habitat houses.

Crime actually goes down in areas where Habitat homes are built. Look it up.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
We don't need to speak any language other than English in order to see prejudice at work. I cannot believe someone would post such a thread and not expect these responses. Most of us actually have some modicum of decency and civility about us. To judge the Habitat family as you seem to have, is simply incredible.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Well perhaps sure she is not judging - perhaps just uninformed, so she did the right thing - she went to a forum and asked what people know about Habitat for Humanity homes. Now people who have some knowledge of Habitat for Humanity have explained to her how the program works and how hard the residents work to get in those homes and maintain them. Asking a question as she did often alleviates unnecessary fears from being uninformed or perhaps misinformed by neighbors.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
I think you're way out of line and very uninformed about HFH. I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
One thing about a Habitat house is that is occupants have been very heavily vetted, interviewed and trackied as they put in a great deal of time with the organization. This might not lead to perfect neighbors but it certainly is better than the luck of the draw most of us have with people who simply need the 10%/20% or creative mortgage broker to fill our neighborhoods.

Also an occupied home is typically more desirable than an empty lot in most lower income areas. I think the real issue is that some existing neighbors might not like the Habitat for Humanity home because it is pretty much an indication of the neighbrohoods affordablity or rung on the ecomomic ladder. Same reason soem people hate renters or multi-family homes.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
I too as Lakeoftheparty has worked on Habbitat homes. I have donated kitchens and my labor in 3 states now, soon to be 4 states.

Habbitat homes are not always built in the most beautiful neighborhoods so if you bought even before that Habbitat home went up you probably are just mad you bought in a not so nice area.

There is no such thing as crime going up or home values going down. It never happened. Home values usually go up because now you have one beautiful home on the block among other not so nice. But once one home looks nice many times the other neighbors feel more comfortable about spending on some improvements on their own homes. Are you mad because the new Habbitat house looks nicer then yours? Maybe a little jealous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate