Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,382,038 times

Advertisements

We will be selling our house post election and hopefully post Covid. In the meantime, should we bother changing out the front door which is from the 1980? Currently painted red but could just repaint and remove ugly storm door. Both very good quality but very dated? Just don't know if it is worth the expense since house sell here quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,351,321 times
I am trying to understand these threads popping up, that revolve around some mundane feature as if it is some make or break item in a home sell, or some essential element of a home, especially when referring to a hot area.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,382,038 times
I think I read too many "how to sell your house" articles. For some reason, the front door is always listed as being very important in making first impressions.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:28 PM

8,096 posts, read 8,225,029 times
We just bought a new house. Hate the front double doors. Really not our taste. But the house is what we wanted and we wouldn’t have passed up the house just because of the doors.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:23 AM

7,663 posts, read 5,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We will be selling our house post election and hopefully post Covid. In the meantime, should we bother changing out the front door which is from the 1980? Currently painted red but could just repaint and remove ugly storm door. Both very good quality but very dated? Just don't know if it is worth the expense since house sell here quickly.
A nice front door does make a good first impression. I would definitely remove the storm door. Whether or not simply painting your door is enough, ask your listing agent, if you have one.

As a prospective buyer, the doors that turn me off are the ones that have windows on either side of the single or double doors. I don't care how pretty they may look. I don't want anyone to be able to see into my house from outside.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,569,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
A nice front door does make a good first impression. I would definitely remove the storm door. Whether or not simply painting your door is enough, ask your listing agent, if you have one.

As a prospective buyer, the doors that turn me off are the ones that have windows on either side of the single or double doors. I don't care how pretty they may look. I don't want anyone to be able to see into my house from outside.
I bought my house with a junky storm door. It absolutely made no difference to me. I am replacing it now and may ultimately repaint the original front door (the house is from the 1920s), but I still actually prefer to have the junky storm door there. Some people actually like to have the option of getting light in through the door, which is something the storm door provides without forcing you to have people look in all the time.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,351,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

They are called sidelights, and you just put blinds on them like every other window.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:52 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
Check with your agent, but my first thought would be *maybe* paint but definitely not replace.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:10 AM

15,490 posts, read 40,182,593 times
If it is one of those 80's ones that has the oval shaped glass in it, just paint it. They aren't anyone's favorites but if they are painted a nice color that compliments the house, people just look past it.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times
sometimes its OKAY to benefit the BUYER , Instead of saying, what's in it for me to do that change over?

We changed out our mailbox simply because we knew the New owners wouldn't want a Logo of our Initials on it.

Its those little things that aren't geared on whether it will ultimately make or break a sale. Sometimes its about leaving it in better condition then received.

Its Your money though......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate