Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 07:54 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why?
Fishing, maybe. But joking?
Yes. Joking. There would have been NO response from us. None. Not in our flaming hot market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Isn't there an old saying somewhere about "assume"...... ? The only thing I assume about a seller (99% of the time) is that he/she has priced in some room for negotiation....as a buyer, it's my job to find it.

Obviously there are some markets where a 75% first offer wouldn't produce intended results....but I have never played in those markets. Common sense plays a big part in being successful with negotiations.

Regards
Gemstone1
Perhaps in other locations and markets. That is not the case here. Most homes are selling for OVER the asking price. Obviously there are less-desirable areas and homes where bargains can be found. Clearly we are talking about two entirely different markets.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:57 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes. Joking. There would have been NO response from us. None. Not in our flaming hot market.
I never look at a written offer as a joke.
I reply. Like a mature professional would to any offer.

Strange things happen in real estate.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:06 AM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not every market is flaming hot and not every flaming hot market is always flaming hot.

I agree with you in that if I was listing a property today at a price the realtor felt was good and was backed up by comps, I'd laugh at any lowball offers too. But if someone came in with an offer that was a few % below asking and there were no other offers on the table, I'd be inclined to counter offer and settle for 1 to 1.5% below list just to get the deal done.

There is a difference between lowball offers and offers slightly below list. Some posters on here seem to think any offer below list is lowball but that's not true. There's plenty of history and it's also quite the norm in normal (ie not hot) years/markets for people to offer slightly below list and come to agreement with the homeowner on a final price. It's fascinating to see how short memories are - just a year ago it was not a hot market in most of the country and as I pointed out above, in a major metro area it was very normal for properties to sell slightly below list, indeed, that was most of the sales that the pattern was clear: you listed with the expectation that you would sell slightly below it, and if you were lucky (maybe 20%) you got the asking price.

Even in this very hot market there are still price cuts. If there are price cuts, then that itself implies it's not "unreasonable" to offer slightly lower than list if you think the house is slightly overpriced. I can look at the current listings in my hot markets and see a number of perhaps unrealistic prices, such as estate sales where the sellers think their deceased mother's dated house with 1970s kitchens/bathrooms is worth the same as the fully rebuilt house next door. Those houses always sit for a bit, have a price cut or two, and eventually sell for less than the final asking price (but still at a very fair price for the house).

However, offering substantially below list for a house/market for which it would be utterly unrealistic is just wasting everyone's time and yes, offensive in a sense.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Not every market is flaming hot and not every flaming hot market is always flaming hot.

I agree with you in that if I was listing a property today at a price the realtor felt was good and was backed up by comps, I'd laugh at any lowball offers too. But if someone came in with an offer that was a few % below asking and there were no other offers on the table, I'd be inclined to counter offer and settle for 1 to 1.5% below list just to get the deal done.

There is a difference between lowball offers and offers slightly below list. Some posters on here seem to think any offer below list is lowball but that's not true. There's plenty of history and it's also quite the norm in normal (ie not hot) years/markets for people to offer slightly below list and come to agreement with the homeowner on a final price. It's fascinating to see how short memories are - just a year ago it was not a hot market in most of the country and as I pointed out above, in a major metro area it was very normal for properties to sell slightly below list, indeed, that was most of the sales that the pattern was clear: you listed with the expectation that you would sell slightly below it, and if you were lucky (maybe 20%) you got the asking price.

Even in this very hot market there are still price cuts. If there are price cuts, then that itself implies it's not "unreasonable" to offer slightly lower than list if you think the house is slightly overpriced. I can look at the current listings in my hot markets and see a number of perhaps unrealistic prices, such as estate sales where the sellers think their deceased mother's dated house with 1970s kitchens/bathrooms is worth the same as the fully rebuilt house next door. Those houses always sit for a bit, have a price cut or two, and eventually sell for less than the final asking price (but still at a very fair price for the house).

However, offering substantially below list for a house/market for which it would be utterly unrealistic is just wasting everyone's time and yes, offensive in a sense.

Never offensive. Too much emotion there. Always work the offer. Always be the one who stays at the table. Always be the one looking for the "Yes."
Ego and emotion are destructive negotiating factors.

Recently sold a listing to a buyer who closed at 14% over her original "best price," which was about 20% under list price.
If I had taken offense, or sellers had taken offense, or we had treated it as a joke, the sale may not have happened.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:19 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
Our daughter recently closed on a condo she agreed to pay full asking price in her initial offer. Her own realtor told her after the allotted time frame for their response that there were 3 other offers that were higher than hers at over asking price. She wanted our daughter to raise her offer. She did not and then her offer was accepted. We don’t believe there were any other higher offers and felt her realtor was misleading...she certainly wasn’t helpful during their entire contract.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:53 AM

93 posts, read 90,718 times
I’d like more space, but I don’t have to move. I’ll move for what I consider a good deal & am watching. If the real estate market worked differently I’d just make offers & see what happens. But my realtor is a family friend, and realtors do a lot for our schools. I am hoping that I can respect the system, work within it, and find value for my money.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I never look at a written offer as a joke.
I reply. Like a mature professional would to any offer.

Strange things happen in real estate.
LOL. I guess they do. I am not a real estate professional, so we had the luxury of entertaining the offers that appealed to us.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post

Obviously, markets differ. I was speaking of my own experience and my local market. We placed our parents house up for sale, AS IS. No updates, no repairs. 20 years old and all they did was add some hardwood floors a few years back.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
To me a low-ball offer would be 20% less than the listed. And believe it or not sometimes that low-ball offer will clinch the sale. It can depend on the person who is offering it and how the property is to be used or taken care of once it is sold.

All listings have a loss factor built in. You go in at the high end and settle for a lower offer. Conversely when you are buying you offer lower than the listed and commence haggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate