Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As I always point out we rent because through the years we invested the money not tied up in a house in commercial real estate in manhattan ....not only only does the gains we made pay our rent but they pay all our living expenses in retirement..

That money that wasn’t tied up in a house enables us to buy multiple homes today if we wanted today since the investments we made were so lucrative.

So renting by itself is not a negative...it is the total picture where if you didn’t buy a house what did you invest in ?

Many renters are just poor
But how much do you pay in rent vs. what you'd pay in a mortgage? Can your rent be increased? Is your mortgage a fixed rate that protects you from payment increases? The old adage of needing 20% down is stale and dated so no arguing that the down payment eats into your funds to invest.

Renting is a great option for those that need to remain flexible to pick up and move for jobs or such, but otherwise I think buying makes more sense with such great rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 01:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
In a majority of cases, the COST CENTER of your housing requirement is most economically served by buying a house.

Reducing the COST of your housing does not convert it into a PROFIT CENTER. A small negative number is better than a large negative number, but doesn't make it a positive number.

Distinguishing between a COST CENTER and a PROFIT CENTER seems to be beyond the capability of many people. Calling a COST CENTER an "investment" doesn't make it one. The only way you can get investment value out of your primary residence is if you can sell it and move somewhere that's a lot cheaper.

Now, a second house - that can be an investment.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:57 PM

86 posts, read 72,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
In a majority of cases, the COST CENTER of your housing requirement is most economically served by buying a house.

Reducing the COST of your housing does not convert it into a PROFIT CENTER. A small negative number is better than a large negative number, but doesn't make it a positive number.

Distinguishing between a COST CENTER and a PROFIT CENTER seems to be beyond the capability of many people. Calling a COST CENTER an "investment" doesn't make it one. The only way you can get investment value out of your primary residence is if you can sell it and move somewhere that's a lot cheaper.

Now, a second house - that can be an investment.
I think it completely depends on the location. In places like Seattle, owning a home does end up as what you call a "Profit Center". Rents are ridiculously high (except for past 6 months) and it makes sense to put that same money towards buying a home. In our case, after considering tax benefits of mortgage, we are not paying that much more to buy vs rent. Ofcourse there will maintenance expenses on a home but they don't matter with the rate at which real-estate is appreciating.

We have been renting for past 4+ years here and if we would have bought a home 4 years ago, we probably would have made more profit than by renting+investing elsewhere. Also, investing that much money in stock market needs a lot of time. Time is also money.

Not to add, owning a home also has phycological advantages. Can't put a dollar amount on this but it does lead to "better and peaceful" life for most people who have stable 9 to 5 jobs.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:04 PM

Unless you sell the highly appreciated house and buy someplace much cheaper, you do not have profit - you have what is called "unrealized profit".

Quick quiz: what's the tax rate on unrealized profit? What line do you put it on your 1040?

Nope, not profit, not taxed, till you realize it.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
Not to add, owning a home also has phycological advantages. Can't put a dollar amount on this but it does lead to "better and peaceful" life for most people who have stable 9 to 5 jobs.

Unlike stocks, a home has intrinsic value as a place to live. Let's not rehash the buy vs rent though. And I wouldn't say a home is a bad investment but it shouldn't be looked at primarily as an investment. At the end of the day, or my life, I'd rather have bought the house I enjoyed living in for many years over the house that I never really liked even if the latter saw much greater appreciation in value.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:40 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
But how much do you pay in rent vs. what you'd pay in a mortgage? Can your rent be increased? Is your mortgage a fixed rate that protects you from payment increases? The old adage of needing 20% down is stale and dated so no arguing that the down payment eats into your funds to invest.

Renting is a great option for those that need to remain flexible to pick up and move for jobs or such, but otherwise I think buying makes more sense with such great rates.

not even close ...

here in cities we have high rises . the economy of scale are way different if comparing an apartment to a house .

homes here start at 1 million ... plus taxes are high here in nyc ..

i rent a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with pool for 2250 a month . with not a penny more in expenses ....

in the mean time we are looking at a condo in westchester . the condo is 400-450k , taxes are 8k and hoa fees are 600 a month .

even if i paid cash we would be giving up at least as much as our rent in income on the dough not counting any other expenses.

but we already did our heavy investing with the money not in a house . we are retired and are very conservatively invested now

the money not in the a house generated multiple 7 figures for us so comparing it to now is not accurate

Old 11-11-2020, 02:49 PM

we all are going to be a different story .

few of us start out day 1 where we can choose to buy a house for cash if we wanted or lump sum in to an investment .

that usually comes later on in life , so early on owning can be a way of developing wealth .

but once you develop a lot of equity , or sell a business , or inherit money , etc , your options increase and renting and investing elsewhere can create far greater wealth .

then later on you can have lots of options again like we do to either buy or rent , but we grew a nice nest egg with that money earlier on .

Old 11-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Unless you sell the highly appreciated house and buy someplace much cheaper, you do not have profit - you have what is called "unrealized profit".

Quick quiz: what's the tax rate on unrealized profit? What line do you put it on your 1040?

Nope, not profit, not taxed, till you realize it.
if it is a primary and you lived in it 2 years or more than if gains are less than 500k for a couple it goes on no lines when you sell

Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if it is a primary and you lived in it 2 years or more than if gains are less than 500k for a couple it goes on no lines when you sell
You missed my point. When you buy something, it's not profit till you actually sell it for more than you paid for it. If you have a house appraised for $400,000 more than you paid for it, that is not profit. It's only profit if you actually SELL it for more than you paid for it.

As far as I am concerned, an "investment" is only such if you can sell it for more than you paid for it and spend the profit, or if it yields an ongoing income stream, or both. Most people's primary residence does not yield an income stream, and most people when they sell their primary residence will need to buy another, and there's no guarantee that the next one will cost less than the current one.

So, not an investment.

Don't get me wrong - I am highly in favor of home ownership for most people. Just don't call it an investment. For most people, it isn't. And calling it such doesn't make it one.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:36 PM

That is the problem with a primary home . Equity can only be accessed by using it as collateral for loans ..

Once in , until you sell you do not have access to your money directly ..on the other hand I can sell a piece of my portfolio gain and gain access but you can’t sell the hallway of a house .

So they are two different assets and two different liquidity’s with two different purposes.

A home can be a cost cutting tool in some areas and that is where it’s strength is ...how many times do you hear people say that owning their home let them retire .

My ex wife is living in a coop we both owned for all of 600 a month in kew gardens ...that apartment rents for 1800 -2000 today ....for her it’s a life saver ....she is not an investor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate