Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:23 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,371 times

Advertisements

In my area, I don't expect any crash TBH. There are plenty of people who have not been financially impacted by CV19 and have maintained their jobs. Houses are still selling quite quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 04:29 AM

43,258 posts, read 77,021,463 times
What is a "Crash?"
10% drop in median prices?
40% drop in median prices?

Old 11-09-2020, 04:30 AM

106,547 posts, read 108,667,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is a "Crash?"
10% drop in median prices?
40% drop in median prices?
the chicken little's love that word

Old 11-14-2020, 07:03 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,398,510 times
When the virus is over? I think the change in demand for high density city residential space wont come back to where it was. I think commercial space is headed down to never come back in my life time. WFH was coming the virus just accelerated it so even if the virus were to disappear we wont return to where we were. Prices are over heated in some areas now as the spike in demand was too high too fast for supply to respond to. So the peak we see will be chopped back some maybe a 5% drop at most.

I think the vaccine will help but not return us to normal meaning to where we were. Also what is to stop the next novel virus? Living like sardines in a can in a big city to be near all the things to do will not return as the things to do wont survive or return once they go under. Curb side pickup for better restaurants is here to stay....some nicer places are building new facilities with a drive thru option to address the changes we see that wont go away in my judgment.

Real estate is very location dependent and very local dependent as well so your mileage my vary, my prediction is more for my city than all cities though I dont think so really

Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times
Things here move swiftly, but we don’t have the employment base or a lot of out of area transplants to run prices up. People aren’t beating down the doors to get into northeast TN.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 AM

899 posts, read 539,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Things here move swiftly, but we don’t have the employment base or a lot of out of area transplants to run prices up. People aren’t beating down the doors to get into northeast TN.
I am househunting in the Baltimore region, city and suburbs, and while most properties sell briskly when fairly priced, there's been no real appreciation or rise in prices. Many properties in the city, even in nicer areas, are still selling for what they sold for 5-10 years ago.

Washington, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast. Expect 10 offers above asking for any property. Baltimore is just 50 minutes away and you'd think it would have a trickle down effect, but apparently not.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:38 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,331 times
In NJ and NY suburbs of NYC the prices have exploded. Totally exploded. I have a dumpy little house about 7 miles from NYC that I've been renting out and based on comps it looks like it went up nearly 25% compared to what I paid for it 6 years ago. Wild times.

I'm trying to get the tenants out as quickly as possible (month to month tenants) so that I can sell it before it all comes crashing down, fingers crossed. These prices can't possibly be sustainable.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,183,326 times
PreCovid inventory where I live was at 1 month, after covid , 10 days of inventory. My zip code has 14,000 housing units, currently 28 for sale and on the market. Prices ranging from 190k (1bd/1bth/700sqft, looks like an apt) to 1.3m (5bd/5bth/5,000 sqft)

Prices up 15% since covid started.

Even if inventory goes up 200% pre covid, we will be at 3 months, still a sellers market.

Employment seems good. Even businesses that hire low wage workers, like Starbucks, are having to limit their store hours because they can't get enough workers to cover all the shifts. My daughter got a new job paying a higher wage last week. It is a no degree, mid skill job, pays $18/hr. She had no problem getting it, happened fast, they didn't even bother to drug test. Employment market seems pretty solid.

I am not worried about any type of doom and gloom crash here.

Last edited by High Altitude; 11-18-2020 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,266,705 times
Plus, interest rates are expected to stay silly-low for the next couple of years - so demand will still be there.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:45 PM

12,801 posts, read 9,525,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
PreCovid inventory where I live was at 1 month, after covid , 10 days of inventory. My zip code has 14,000 housing units, currently 28 for sale and on the market. Prices ranging from 190k (1bd/1bth/700sqft, looks like an apt) to 1.3m (5bd/5bth/5,000 sqft)

Prices up 15% since covid started.

Even if inventory goes up 200% pre covid, we will be at 3 months, still a sellers market.

Employment seems good. Even businesses that hire low wage workers, like Starbucks, are having to limit their store hours because they can't get enough workers to cover all the shifts. My daughter got a new job paying a higher wage last week. It is a no degree, mid skill job, pays $18/hr. She had no problem getting it, happened fast, they didn't even bother to drug test. Employment market seems pretty solid.

I am not worried about any type of doom and gloom crash here.
Yep. I was wrong. I thought Covid would destroy the housing market, and it has been slow in some markets, but it hasn't. Now, once Covid is over, people return to work, sellers will increase supply but I think the demand will still exceed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate