Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 12:18 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

I cannot get past two questions rattling around in my cranium...

Was there a real estate agent involved?
OP, did you have a buyers agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I cannot get past two questions rattling around in my cranium...

Was there a real estate agent involved?
OP, did you have a buyers agent?
I would like to know as well. If the seller withheld this nugget of information, hard to blame the buyer's or seller's Realtor who would not have known. I have never heard of a Realtor who also is a licensed an inspector. When I was an active Realtor, I knew what to commonly look for inside a home, but always suggested my clients hire an inspector to crawl under the home, look in the attic, assess the condition of the roof or inspections of electrical, plumbing, waste removal (for example).

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 11-04-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-04-2020, 01:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Shouldn't the listing agent have been required to list it as a mobile home and not a single family home?

Old 11-04-2020, 01:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Shouldn't the listing agent have been required to list it as a mobile home and not a single family home?
The issue could be that they couldn't tell from the outside or the inside. If they knew it was a mobile home they would likely be liable for failure to disclose, but we don't know what the seller told their agent about the home when it was listed. It is possible that the seller did a very convincing job renovating the home that it was not easy to determine. Remember that the taxing authority didn't even know and if so, it was incorrectly recorded by them as well.

This will be interesting to see what happens. IMHO, it is likely that this could go to litigation and the seller could be fined heavily. We can only hope that the OP updates the community from time to time on the status.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:38 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Report the fraud to the police.

The inspector you hired, was it one of your own choice or did the agent recommend someone? I learned from my own mistake not to hire one that a Realtor suggested.

The real estate agent is supposed to investigate the facts before listing. It is a legal obligation.They should come over and take measurements of the interior, exterior and land. The title should show what type of building it is ie bungalow, mobile home, etc.

Just curious if the sell price was quite a bit lower than comparables?

Last edited by kitty61; 11-04-2020 at 02:02 PM..

Old 11-04-2020, 01:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Do you have any pictures? I can understand how newer manufactured homes could get mistaken for built-on-site stick built homes... they're constructed with the same materials and finishes and quality... inside and out. But I've never seen a 1974 that I would mistake for a stick built home.

They must have done very extensive remodeling!
Per the OP...It's Brick. Between that, and a possible roof extension of 18-24 inches it would be indistinguishable from a brick house, and functionally no different either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotango89 View Post
As the title suggests, we have recently closed on a home which was listed, advertised, inspected and appraised as a traditional ranch style, 4 sided brick home. Unfortunately, it has recently been discovered that the home is in fact a mobile home with a brick facade.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:58 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Per the OP...It's Brick. Between that, and a possible roof extension of 18-24 inches it would be indistinguishable from a brick house, and functionally no different either.
I first worked in a mobile home plant in 1972-1973.
Then 1976--1998, with a couple of years on other things.
I can tell you, the differences are quite noticeable between a mobile home and a conventional rancher, inside and out and underneath, and brick veneer and a roof job wouldn't begin to camouflage them.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Report the fraud to the police.

The inspector you hired, was it one of your own choice or did the agent recommend someone? I learned from my own mistake not to hire one that a Realtor suggested.

The real estate agent is supposed to investigate the facts before listing. It is a legal obligation.They should come over and take measurements of the interior, exterior and land. The title should show what type of building it is ie bungalow, mobile home, etc.

Just curious if the sell price was quite a bit lower than comparables?
It's not necessarily fraud, nor even failure to disclose. We have no idea whether the seller even knew, despite living there, since they may not have ever needed to crawl under it.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:07 PM

404 posts, read 765,649 times
Entirely possible this is not the home, but it's in the OP's zip code and is close on sale date/size/year:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...9879200_zpid/?

If it is the home, it sold only a year ago and apparently underwent an extensive remodel - it would be almost inconceivable that the sellers in this transaction didn't know it was a mobile.

The ceiling would be a giveaway to me that something is awry.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
It seems that the inspector didn't properly look under the crawlspace and the contractor did.

What did the contractor have to do to see it?

Bend over and look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate