Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 02:23 PM

53 posts, read 59,241 times

Advertisements

Long story short.. after our inspection for a purchase yesterday, I told the realtor we are going to walk on the property. We got a long list of concerns, though I know many are cosmetic..

Significant Concerns
Safety Concerns
Electrical
1. Electric Service Panel(Attached Garage): Exposed wiring- QC
2. GFCI(Attached Garage, Kitchen): Not present
3. GFCI(Exterior: Ground View): Not present outside where they are required
4. GFCI(Exterior: Ground View): Not tripping or resetting using tester
5. Smoke Alarm(Master Bedroom, Hallway and Stairs): Missing
6. Wiring(Attic): Sheathing on the electrical wires had damage consistent with rodent gnawing
Items Not Operating
Electrical
7. Outlet(Family Room): Appears to have no power
Major Concerns
Landscaping and Hardscaping
8. Landscape Feature(Exterior: Roof View, Exterior: Ground View): Tree branches are in
contact with building
Building Structure
9. Truss(Attic): Damaged
Electrical
10. Electric Service Panel(Attached Garage): Rodent carcass
HVAC
11. Ductwork(Attic): Air leakage at connection(s)
Plumbing
12. Main water valve(Exterior: Ground View): Rusted
13. Water Pipe(Master Bathroom): High moisture meter reading.
Room Components
14. Floor(Master Bedroom): High moisture meter reading
15. Truss(Attic): Possible wood destroying organisms
Plumbing
16. Plumbing Vent(Exterior: Roof View): Cast Iron Pipe
Room Components
17. Exterior door(Family Room): Keyed egress.
18. Window(Family Room, 2nd Bedroom): Obstructed. Inspection restriction.
Items to Monitor
None
Maintenance Items
Building Exterior
19. Eave(Exterior: Ground View): Fascia wood is rotted
20. Eave(Exterior: Ground View): Soffit is warped
21. Eave(Exterior: Ground View): Wood soffit is damaged
22. Eave(Exterior: Ground View): Wood soffit has hole.
23. Exhaust Vent(Exterior: Ground View): Located within 3 feet of HVAC condenser.
24. Gutter(Exterior: Ground View): No gutters
25. Siding(Exterior: Ground View): Mortar has step cracks
26. Siding(Exterior: Ground View): Paint or stain was peeling, worn or faded
27. Siding(Exterior: Ground View): Stucco was cracked
Balconies, Decks and Porches
28. Balcony, Deck or Porch(Exterior: Ground View): Tile is cracked
Landscaping and Hardscaping
29. Landscape Feature(Exterior: Roof View, Exterior: Ground View): Tree branches were
hanging over building
Roof
30. Roof Material(Exterior: Roof View): Excessive debris.
31. Roof Material(Exterior: Roof View): Exhibits pooling water or stain pattern indicative of pooling
water.
Building Structure
32. Slab(Exterior: Ground View): Soil is washed out from under slab
Insulation and Ventilation
33. Insulation(Attic): Level is low in one or more areas
34. Insulation(Attic): Rodent droppings observed in attic
Electrical
35. Light Fixture(Master Bathroom, Exterior: Ground View): Bulb(s) is burnt out
36. Light Fixture(Exterior: Ground View): Rusting
37. Light Fixture(Master Bathroom): Cover, shades, or non-electircal componentry is missing or
damaged
Appliances
38. Oven/Range(Kitchen): In need of cleaning
HVAC
39. Air Handler(Attic): Drain pan was rusted

The big one really was the termite damage.. no less than 4 trusses were hit, and they couldn't exclude others did not have a problem. There was also rodent signs (including a carcass in the electrical panel), as well as an unexplained wet spot in the master bathroom (inspector was concerned about a leak).. The current owners did not disclose any termite treatment or damage, but it is plainly obvious as soon as you open the attic.

I attached some of the worst shots, but there are others. I am not a first time buyer, but haven't dealt with issues like this, so I am afraid I am too jumpy. A contractor I asked informally said to run, but that was just a friendly opinion..
Attached Thumbnails
Would you have walked away from this? Inspection report (termites, rodent, and water damage)..-20201104_162016.jpg   Would you have walked away from this? Inspection report (termites, rodent, and water damage)..-20201104_162028.jpg   Would you have walked away from this? Inspection report (termites, rodent, and water damage)..-20201104_162153.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 02:42 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Unless this is a bargain basement foreclosure or something yes it was probably best to walk especially with all that wood damage. You probably be starting with $5K in carpentry for the wood damage. And landscaping, yes a tree should not be in contact with roof-another $3K.

Sounds like the house was unoccuppied or had a senior living their for a while.

Was there a record of a termite treatment?

This all involves the basic infrastructure of a house. I don't wether you were looking for a fixer to live or flip but if you do buy plan on economy or basic bathroom & kitchen. I wouldn't bother with HGTV here. Just get the basics repaired and make the house usable/livable-not stylish.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Unless this is a bargain basement foreclosure or something yes it was probably best to walk especially with all that wood damage. You probably be starting with $5K in carpentry for the wood damage. And landscaping, yes a tree should not be in contact with roof-another $3K.

Sounds like the house was unoccuppied or had a senior living their for a while.

Was there a record of a termite treatment?

This all involves the basic infrastructure of a house. I don't wether you were looking for a fixer to live or flip but if you do buy plan on economy or basic bathroom & kitchen. I wouldn't bother with HGTV here. Just get the basics repaired and make the house usable/livable-not stylish.
Nope, this was a 1650sqf in Tampa Bay for $269k. Being sold as ready to move in to, etc. It was on the market for 130 days, with their agent citing pet smell as a reason for a tough sell. There was odor, but nothing a cleaning and paint wouldn't take.

Oddly in this case, it seems to be a regular family of 4. But looking around, I saw lots of signs of neglect, and the report ( I didn't post all the findings) back that up. No maintenance was done since they bought it.

There is also a pest control sticker dated to the time of the last closing, but it didn't say what was done..

Old 11-04-2020, 03:44 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
Nope, this was a 1650sqf in Tampa Bay for $269k. Being sold as ready to move in to, etc. It was on the market for 130 days, with their agent citing pet smell as a reason for a tough sell. There was odor, but nothing a cleaning and paint wouldn't take.

Oddly in this case, it seems to be a regular family of 4. But looking around, I saw lots of signs of neglect, and the report ( I didn't post all the findings) back that up. No maintenance was done since they bought it.

There is also a pest control sticker dated to the time of the last closing, but it didn't say what was done..
This is separate from your wood destroying organism inspection?

Old 11-04-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is separate from your wood destroying organism inspection?
So, we had a WDO inspection, but it doesn't tell anything different from the general inspection. And we don't know what the previous pest company did

Old 11-04-2020, 06:25 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
All real estate is local. What's acceptable in my area may be different from yours.

At any rate, what I see is pretty typical stuff in my area of a house that is 15+ years old and the owner didn't pay attention (most don't).

I'd factor how much it'd cost to repair and ask the seller for credit. I expect a big credit for all the stuff I have to fix.

For the right price, I'd buy any house.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:18 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Can you possibly get an inspection report from the last time the property sold (realtor, owner, inspection firm)? That would give you a sense of how serious these things are and how much further deterioration has been experienced.

The provided list also seems a bit nit-picky, or at least to use 2-3 line items to reference one problem. Can your realtor find out of this inspector has done similar lists on other properties?

Nevertheless, there seem to be a few serious and potentially serious and expensive issues that should be dealt with. The question here is whether the price you pay, plus the necessary repairs, is still in-line with the market ... AND, of course, whether you really want the property.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
What would similar homes in the area go for, without, presumably, similar issues? That might be your benchmark on whether you are getting enough of a discount to undertake this project.

With that list, and as soon as you have significant termite and electrical system damage, you are facing a real possibly of significant expense. Measure your discount against fair market value and go from there.

You are quite possibly looking at a "fixer upper" situation from what you have shown us. Caveat Emptor.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:26 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
I'd only be only slightly interested in this property if it was worth more than I paid to tear it down. There's too many properties that aren't neglected.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:51 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Almost sounds like a rental even if not zoned or permitted for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate