Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 09:17 AM

63 posts, read 165,103 times

Advertisements

I am having a difficult time deciding between 3 different cities to move to: Winston-Salem NC, Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL. I know I need to get pre-approved and do the whole process in order to buy a home and also I need to pick a realtor to work with but I am so torn on these 3 places, that I dont know which one to choose.

So is it possible to work with 3 different realtors in these areas and do the whole pre-approval process in those areas at the same time, or do I just need to suck it up and pick one before I start the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 10:11 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Please don't do that. You're wasting a lot of people's time. Pick the city you want to live in, then get a realtor. Don't make a real estate agent work for free. Bad karma

Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCosmos View Post
I am having a difficult time deciding between 3 different cities to move to: Winston-Salem NC, Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL. I know I need to get pre-approved and do the whole process in order to buy a home and also I need to pick a realtor to work with but I am so torn on these 3 places, that I dont know which one to choose.

So is it possible to work with 3 different realtors in these areas and do the whole pre-approval process in those areas at the same time, or do I just need to suck it up and pick one before I start the process?
Yes, you can but tell them you are still trying to decide which city to live in. You will likely get a newer agent who has the time to spend on a transaction that might never happen. Seasoned agents generally pass on clients that don't know where they want to live.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Work with one, trusted mortgage broker. Problem solved.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Yeah, if you want to run yourself ragged and have RE agents decline to deal with you once you get known as a perpetual tire-kicker.

There comes a time when you have to S*** or get off the pot.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yeah, if you want to run yourself ragged and have RE agents decline to deal with you once you get known as a perpetual tire-kicker.

There comes a time when you have to S*** or get off the pot.
OP hasn't even picked a state yet and she wants to run a RE agent ragged? I know hustle is great, but honestly I find it pretty insulting and denigrating. And my guess is she isn't going to be upfront with all three realtors either? Hell, some people have issues picking the right school district, much less the right state!~

Old 11-10-2020, 01:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
OP, don't be fooled. Real estate agents talk to each other. You get known as a tire-kicker, especially in small markets like you're listing - you'll suddenly find everyone's "busy" - or they send the 21 year old clueless "assistant" out to talk to you.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Wouldn’t a nationwide mortgage company, like Quicken, just take your info and approve you an amount that you could take anywhere?

Old 11-10-2020, 02:15 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
If there's a list of perpetual tire kickers going around, I just must not be on the right mailing lists!

I appreciate those who say don't waste agent time unfairly, but it is quite possible for you to start investigating homes in three markets.

Just be honest that you're still in very preliminary stages and aren't positive where you'll be going. It IS likely you'll have more luck and better service from a relatively new agent.

It doesn't take THAT much work to have a good long phone call with an agent about market and area considerations, have that agent set you up on an MLS search, and begin to see what you can get for your money in each of these cities. I've certainly had that conversation with many clients who didn't end up coming here. It happens. That much is fair.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If there's a list of perpetual tire kickers going around, I just must not be on the right mailing lists!

I appreciate those who say don't waste agent time unfairly, but it is quite possible for you to start investigating homes in three markets.

Just be honest that you're still in very preliminary stages and aren't positive where you'll be going. It IS likely you'll have more luck and better service from a relatively new agent.

It doesn't take THAT much work to have a good long phone call with an agent about market and area considerations, have that agent set you up on an MLS search, and begin to see what you can get for your money in each of these cities. I've certainly had that conversation with many clients who didn't end up coming here. It happens. That much is fair.
I've moved 4 times in the last 6 years, so certainly understand where the OP is coming from. I think it also may be best to rent your first year at a new city. This person hasn't even decided on the city yet, I'd stick with Zillow/Redfin. That's what I did. I looked at the nighborhoods and the schools. Once I figured that out, I reached out to a RE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate